Server problems cause delay in contest

Mini Man

There has been an unexpected problem with our server that has left us no option but to postpone the contest. The elusive White Orchid will be found, but just not tonight!

I am reviewing the server logs to see what cuased this problem and will update everyone as soon as I can.

I apologize for this!

Dean

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry about this. It appears that someone launched a DoS attack on our server just as the contest was starting. Trying to restart the contest tonight would likely cause the same results.

I will need to look into this further before we can re-scheduled, but be assure the hunt will go on in some shape of form. I'll post an update on this tomorrow.

I will be hiding all the topics again. There was one FAST LANE contest that seem to run it course, so that one will stand. I will post the results shortly.

Again, I'm sorry that we had these difficulties.

Dean

It's wonderful that you were able to catch what was wrong and that we can postpone it for now.....

Hope everything works out and that it isn't to much trouble to fix!

I look forward to the next chance we get....this was fun none the less....

and hey....we all got practice lol

thanks dean!! :rockon: :rockin:

i know i said this in another thread, but it may not have actually been a malicious attack. it's rather possible (if perhaps not likely) that with So Many Users all on and doing the same things (ie: refreshing pages) it could very easily mirror a DoS attack since - for all intents and purpose - it sort of, well, was one.

Thanks Dean for you efforts with this contest. I'm sorry it didn't work out. I hope you don't have to work to hard to fix it. :bomb_ie:

I'm sorry about this. It appears that someone launched a DoS attack on our server just as the contest was starting. Trying to restart the contest tonight would likely cause the same results.

<reaching for my ball bat> Point me in the direction of that varmit and I'll go do a number on their knee caps for you.

Thank you for doing such a great job of staying on top of things Dean. You really are the greatest.

Deb

Well, the upside is that we got to practice for the real one!! AND...Dean said at leat one of the Fast Lane contests actually worked so if you got in, you still have a chance to win something!

Dean, so sorry you have to deal with this cr**.

I hope no one did anything on purpose to mess up the game. It was still fun anyway. However, I only found 12 of them earlier today and that was with my son's help. He found two that I missed. Did the rest of you find all 13 in advance? I wasn't sure if the one that's been open all along under Site Information and Feedback was also one of the 13. Probably not, but I posted there anyway because it was the only one I could get into. :) I was so proud of myself. I'm not usually an organized person, but I had a list typed up with the area and page number of each one...and I typed in a large font so I wouldn't have any problems seeing. Like I said, it was still fun and I look forward to playing another day.

at leat one of the Fast Lane contests actually worked

It looks like two, the Fairfield and the accessory pack, have some post in them. I will list the winners shortly.

There were two people who posted in the furniture one... they will both get the furniture packs.

i know i said this in another thread, but it may not have actually been a malicious attack. it's rather possible (if perhaps not likely) that with So Many Users all on and doing the same things (ie: refreshing pages) it could very easily mirror a DoS attack since - for all intents and purpose - it sort of, well, was one.

This is what I was thinking, with so many people getting on at once and with the same topic. My computer froze up and had to shut it down and became really slow a couple of times and ended up missing a couple posts. So much for planning ahead. lol Hopefully next time we will have better luck. That's Friday the 13th for ya.

It looks like two, the Fairfield and the accessory pack, have some post in them. I will list the winners shortly.

There were two people who posted in the furniture one... they will both get the furniture packs.

That's very generous of you Dean. :)

I am very confused. Since the announcement of the postponement Posts have unlocked. Is it postponed?

Since many missed the first couple of topics, I didn't think it would be fair to them to continue. I'm trying to get to closing those topics.

Sorry.