Appalachian Country Cottage #8032

Obsessed

Hi,

Has anyone made this house? I believe it was made in 1997.

Two years ago I bought this dollhouse kit on e-bay. A week ago I finally started working on it. I can't believe how much fun I'm having. (Retired three years ago)

I just put the fireplace and chimney together; found the powdered mortar for it. The general instruction for building the house state to "Follow instructions in Stone Kit for decorating the fireplace and chimney" . Those instructions were not in the kit when I bought it.

I hope someone out there has made this cottage or can tell me where to find those instructions.

Barbara, is this a Greenleaf kit?  I don't recall Greenleaf kits being numbered; Dura-Craft kits were, though; and while I don't recall Greenleaf kits including mortar mix, Dura-Craft included Magik Systems powders (to be mixed with equal parts water and white glue to the consistency of thick frosting) and rolls of self adhesive paper templates.

Barbara, is this a Greenleaf kit?  I don't recall Greenleaf kits being numbered; Dura-Craft kits were, though; and while I don't recall Greenleaf kits including mortar mix, Dura-Craft included Magik Systems powders (to be mixed with equal parts water and white glue to the consistency of thick frosting) and rolls of self adhesive paper templates.

Holly, you are an encyclopedia. I have noticed since I started following the site how knowledgeable you are and you never forget a thing, or at least you know where to go to refresh your memory. Unbelievable!

• Like 1

Holly, Greenleaf houses all do have numbers, although we don't use them much. :)

My old stock Greenleaf Tennyson came with the stone stuff too. Seems I remember the same thing about instructions. This is the stuff with the stickers stencil? Paint your base the color of your grout. Put the stickers on. Mix the powder to s spreadable consistency. Spread over the stencil and let sit a little while. Don't let it dry completely before peeling off the stencil. Have fun!

Btw, Welcome to the forum!  Feel free to pop over to the Newcomers Forum and introduce yourself!

I looked up Magic Ston, and here are the instructions posted on a vendor website:

Easily transform any smooth surface into miniature brick, stone, slate, cement block or stucco.  Realistic 1:12 scale, texture and color.  Magic Systems is an inexpensive and easy way to finish a doll house or miniature landscaping project.    Each Magic Systems kit contains dry powder mix, adhesive-backed "stencil" tape with the specific pattern cut into it, and complete application instructions.  All you add is water.  You can also mix it directly with paint.   Available in red or white powder kits that cover 1,2,4,8, or 9 square feet, all others cover specified square inches.  Extra STUCCO powder and stencil TAPE are sold seperately.  All are 1" scale except as noted.

magicston.gif

Step 1: Paint surface the color you wish to see between the stones. Step 2: Apply the pre-cut pattern tape to the painted surface. Step 3: Mix and apply the texturing compound evenly. Step 4: Carefully peel off the pattern tape. Like magic it's done!

• Like 1

Thank you for correcting me, Tracy; it certainly makes sense that Greenleaf would number kits.  I wasn't aware that they also included the Magik Systems powder.  When I mixed the Brik powder for the SF555 the directions added about mixing equal parts of water and white glue. 

Apparently over time some people experienced flaking off the stuff when it was mixed with just water.  Tom Berkner (who is, alas, no longer with us to share his great wisdom) also recommended mixing in the white glue.  I used the Elmer's all-purpose white glue, NOT the "School Glue".

BTW, don't wit too long to remove the paper stencil.  On the Cambridge it got weak when wet and tore off before I could peel it all off. which mde an ungodly mess that took a lot of creativity and *magic* words to fix.

• Like 1

Good idea about the glue Holly! Mine was given away 5-6 years ago, so I'm not sure how it's holding up. And this was an older kit, from many many years ago that had it included.

Cute little house! Can't wait to see it done. I looked for more pictures of Marg's, but couldn't find any more.