Duracraft Victorian (Manchester?) house

My mother has recently begun to finish a Duracraft Victorian dollhouse she and my dad started about a century (just kidding) ago. He had everything set up beautifully, and she has had no trouble up till now. She is trying to put the floor into the turret and it just doesn't look like it is going to fit. She's adjusted angles, but the floor is about a quarter of an inch or more too big all around. Is it the custom with the kit to have to trim the floor to fit? Will she be sorry if she does? Help! This project is very dear to her, and all of the family are looking forward to the finished product. Does anyone out there have some good advice?

The first kit I ever built was a Dura-Craft SF555 and in the video tape that came with it the gentleman explained and demonstrated that it was sometimes necessary to trim places for a perfect fit (he was demonstrating on those miserable San Franciscan window openings). If your mom can access where her floor will go, suggest she take pieces of paper and stick them together, fold and cut them until they exactly fit where the floor will go, and use it for a pattern to begin to trim her finished floor just until it fits. I'm assuming she has already tried turning the floor in different directions to see if there's any way it will go into the space.

• Like 1

Hello Mitzi,

Holly is right - sometimes the exacto knife is your best friend. Just make sure before you cut, that if it is a slot and tab construction to mark where they need to go - or plan for 'ceiling beams' that will hold that floor up.