Has anyone been to a Miniaturia?

jennybee

I have the opportunity to attend a miniaturia this year and I was curious if anyone else has been to them before and if so what type of classes do they offer? I am soo hoping a build with air dry clay/paper clay!!!!! Anyone on here going to be teaching a class at miniaturia? Jane...Kelly... I know you girls have made clay skills I'd take a class from ya. :bear:

Huggs,

Jennybee

• Like 3

Miniaturia, as in Philadelphia? If you want a paperclay class and Rik Pierce is going to be there, pray there is room in hi class. Tracy (Minis on the Edge) has taken several of his classes, as her work amply demonstrates, and I know that Lynette (nuttiwebgal) and Linda (LPCullen) have also taken his classes.

• Like 2

Miniaturia, as in Philadelphia? If you want a paperclay class and Rik Pierce is going to be there, pray there is room in hi class. Tracy (Minis on the Edge) has taken several of his classes, as her work amply demonstrates, and I know that Lynette (nuttiwebgal) and Linda (LPCullen) have also taken his classes.

There is going to be one in Orlando this year as well. I could only hope Rik or someone like him would teach a class there but I would think there is not enough days for it.

I expect the orlando miniatura to be at least as large as the Philly one. They rent out each veranda and ballroom of a hotel or resort. I certainly say go!! The philly one is fantastic each year, i get good suppies and just seeing the miniature builds they do each year is wonderful!!

My feet feel like they are about to fall off when I am done walking around so I think it big enough ;)

I tried selling my soul to the paperclay gods once in hopes that Rik would take me under his wing and teach me all his secrets..but unfortunatly the contract was null and void and I was left sitting in my room cursing at my failures in clay...eventually you just pester your betters..*cough* Kelly..and then steal their secrets...Muahhhaaha

Ps..did I mention that I am nuts? :bangin:

HehehHarHarhar

• Like 2

Yep. I've been to Philadelphia Miniaturia, and the most important thing to say (echoing Jane) is wear good shoes, your dogs will be tired if Orlando's anywhere near Philly's size!

Other advice, unless you're a millionaire—

—bring a list and (try to) stick to it—you can wind up spending your whole budget on something that you just "had to have," that you never knew about before that very minute, and then not have dough left for what you needed/wanted when you get to the tables you were looking for;

—eat lunch or a snack before you go in, it's big and being hungry just makes you rush and wrecks the enjoyment of it;

—bring pictures, measurements, and/or color swatches, for anything at home you're trying to match to or fit with... just like in real-life furniture shopping, the one thing you're sure is medium-tan and only 42" wide will turn out to be orangey-brown and 60" wide when you bring home something non-returnable that'll supposedly go perfectly with it;

—have a budget, and if you're like me and prone to forget this advice, then

—bring cash and leave your cards at home. At some shows, vendors are a lot more happy with cash anyway, though at Miniaturia most or all seem to be able to handle cards, but you know how cards trick you into thinking they're still doing fine when they're really on life support? That will happen to your card at Miniaturia.

I'll readily admit that I bring the cash I budgeted for plus a little extra in case there's just that one unexpected thing or in case I see a fancier whatchamacallit than what I budgeted for (I'm actually pretty good about not using the extra $$, but the thought of not having it if something unbearably wonderful is there makes me panic)... but after realizing that even lists and budgets are not enough when confronted with all the wonders of a mini show, I've decided that cash-only and no way to cheat and get extra cash is the most sensible for me. I love my hobby, but I hate buyer's remorse!

Take a look at Philadelphia Miniaturia's workshop list for an idea of who you might expect to see, if the same folks are running it. I haven't taken any workshops there, but the lineup usually looks pretty neat.

• Like 4

oooohhhh Rik Pierce... ohhh the things I'd do to be able to attend one of his classes....

and I'd really love to attend a big show.... maybe next year :)

Jane... Jenn... you two are marvelous! and I steal secrets from you I believe :secret:

Ohh the ideas you have given me from your hatchery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Moat, dragons oh my............

• Like 2

I have been to the Philly one. I had so much fun and bought so many nice things. I was there too late to sign up for any classes but I got to meet Rik Pierce and his wife. Took pictures of his creations for Tracy. :D

• Like 1

I have been to the Philly one. I had so much fun and bought so many nice things. I was there too late to sign up for any classes but I got to meet Rik Pierce and his wife. Took pictures of his creations for Tracy. :D

Rik Pierce is the nicest person! Every miniaturist I've ever stopped to talk to at any mini show has plenty to say, but Rik Pierce will talk your ear off if there's no line behind you. My daughter and I get a huge kick out of his enthusiasm, every year we re-"meet" him. :)

• Like 1

Rik Pierce is the nicest person! Every miniaturist I've ever stopped to talk to at any mini show has plenty to say, but Rik Pierce will talk your ear off if there's no line behind you. My daughter and I get a huge kick out of his enthusiasm, every year we re-"meet" him. :)

I agree! In October Rik was in a serious car accident. He just recently went home after spending 74 days in ICU and rehab. He sustained a broken neck, 7 broken ribs, broken pelvic bones and a broken leg. He is still planning on teaching his workshop at Chicago in April and a workshop at the Texas show in May. Hopes and prayers for a full recovery for a super talented and super nice man.

• Like 1

I agree! In October Rik was in a serious car accident. He just recently went home after spending 74 days in ICU and rehab. He sustained a broken neck, 7 broken ribs, broken pelvic bones and a broken leg. He is still planning on teaching his workshop at Chicago in April and a workshop at the Texas show in May. Hopes and prayers for a full recovery for a super talented and super nice man.

My goodness! I didn't know—I was sick and missed the show in November. He has all my very best wishes for sure!!!

• 1 month later...

I am so looking forward to the PHiladelphia show. There are workshops already listed, but I don't see Rik Pierce.

If you go to philadelphiaminiaturia.com you will see the listings.

November is so far off!

• Like 1