Anyone know how to build the Garfield in two sections???

Inge

I'm putting the "finishing touches" on my Harrison and am starting the Garfield and having such a wonderful time with the foundation...where the last 6 numbers are NOT on the schematic sheet.  I will have to build this in two pieces due to the size.  Does anyone remember who the members were that did this? Could really, really, really use some advice.  Thanks!

Mine isn't in two sections as in right and left but I seem to remember someone doing that.

What I've been doing is building a second front on the main house section that slides off. This makes it narrow enough to go through doorways. The porches and trim are what make it way too big.

Even at that I'm going to need to leave the tower removable for adding wiggle room to passing through some doorways. I have it in an old unused upstairs hallway right now covered with a plastic tablecloth. Sad state of affairs really.

Hi! Thanks for your help.  Not sure how you did "a second front that slides off". Maybe I'll make it so the porches are "detachable".  Not sure if I'll have to worry...still can't get past the foundation. lol

I'll put some photos from my Garfield gallery and see if it helps. I'm on my phone right now so I can't access them easily. As soon as I get home I'll do it.

OK Home now ...

This first one shows the tan unpainted porch area with the front walls attached to it. It is pulled off to the side in this picture. The interior is built like it was just frame work. It will have interior trims covering those areas. The outside piece is completely removable and has all the porch and balconies, windows and doors, etc built into it.

This shows it being slid over onto the base.

This shows it all pushed together.

Hope this helps some.
Sorry I don't have any more current pictures. When I had to set it aside, I hadn't taken any more and it's been covered up for about 3 years.
  • Like 1

Oh my God, are you the sweetest person ever to take the time to send me the pictures.  I am impressed, you must have a university degree to have thought that out....or...work in construction.

Yes, the pictures sure make it clearer as to what you were describing. I am wondering what will happen when you put shingles on.  So obviously the piece that "slides" off isn't attached to anything.

You must be really busy to have put it away for 3 years.  It took me 4 years to do the Harrison, just in the winter when it's -35. -48 outside.  Too bad you didn't get it finished, would have been nice to see how it worked out.

Thanks so much for the time you have taken for me.

You are welcome. If you look the gallery album those came from you'll see it's a multi house mansion not just a single Garfield. I've still been building, just smalller and alot with the 3 grands I raise. I'm a craft-hobby-holic so I always have 1 or 357 things things going at the same time. :)

• Like 1

Thanks Selkie, that's a brilliant workaround.  I'm using a similar concept to join the Lighthouse and Magnolia together, but didn't think of using it for the Garfield.  I've Pinned it to my Garfield Board so that I can remember it when I start construction one day.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't respond to building in multiple parts, but I can tell you that it gets very heavy and awkward to move.  After I shingled mine, I found it nearly impossible to lift on my own.  It does seem that you could divide it at the area where the floors are different levels if some extra supporting walls were added to the side that did not contain the interior wall.

Um, I did it! I TAPED the entire house together in the middle of my living room floor where I could

stare at it every day for a month. Really had to think about it. Going thru windows or doors was not anoption...they seem to be in every wall.

Last weekend I "put on my big girl panties", said a prayer, and cut the foundation and kitchen floor

and took off the entire kitchen area. The partition for kitchen, second and third floors will stay withthe rest of the house as the tabs fit into the slots. I did this because it was the easiest. This way I only had to cut one floor as none of the others would be attached.

How many member gallery pictures are there? Over 2,000, and I will vouch for that. I went thru all of them and can tell you that not one of the Garfield's was cut into two sections.

Did it work? Yup, only 1/2" out as I think I left too much overhang where the partitions go. It does look good though. When I have time I will post some pictures