Question about painting and gluing over paint.

PAnderson

Hello All,

I am building the Greenleaf Beacon Hill. The walls and second and third floors are up and the stairs are built. The stairs are not permanently installed because I want to paint them and the walls in a two tone paint scheme, walls and stairs one color and railings and trim another color. My question is, if I prime everything with Kilz, will I be able to glue over the Kilz, or paint for that matter? Will wood glue still work or is there another option? Obviously, I have to paint the walls in the hallway, paint the stairs separately, then install them. I want to paint the railings separately because the stairs can't be fitted with the railings attached. Any ideas?

Also, this house is for my Granddaughters. It will mostly be left to my daughter to decorate but I am also building furniture pieces as another part of this project. But to complete the house, I believe I need to at least put cabinets in the kitchen. Does anyone have any ideas or a source for kitchen cabinets that I can install in the Beacon Hill? If I have to build them, so be it. It keeps me out of trouble, LOL.

Thanks for your help.

Paul

I haven't used Kilz, so I looked it up. Apparently the primer is meant to be painted over with latex. It's water based, so I believe you should be able to paint over it with acrylics, if that's what you will be using. A lot of people use latex interior paints for their dollhouses too.

I glue painted parts all the time. I like to prepaint trims and stair elements, so I paint or stain these things separately and then glue together.

Based on the product's description, I don't see any reason why you won't be able to glue painted pieces. When in doubt, I always do some test pieces.

Just remember that paint adds thickness, so if you have places with a tight fit, you will need to do some sanding.

I'd use Aileen's Tacky Glue or another glue that dries clear for gluing paint to paint, just because the wood glue might show.

Paul, as for built in kitchen cabinets, the house doesn't really call for them. A freestanding kitchen cupboard like a Hoosier dresser or similar would have filled the needs of the mini housekeeper/cook of that era. I found this one with a built-in flour bin/dispenser at Melody Jane's Dolls' Houses.

new-dolls-house-furniture-white-wood-kit

Aileen's Tacky Glue or Quik Grab glue will work with gluing paint to paint....but a little touch of sanding at the join is always a good idea - just to be sure.

And miniatures.com (Hobby Builders Supply/HBS) is always a good place to start looking for kitchen cabinets, if you decide to go more 'modern' with your Beacon Hill.