Working on my Beacon Hill Dollhouse

shabbychic

Hi. Always wanted a dollhouse and finally I have a beautiful Beacon Hill Dollhouse. Most of it is finished but I want to turn the attic into either an observation tower, artist studio or perhaps a very feminine boudoir. Would love any ideas you have.post-64709-0-59750200-1419731791_thumb.jpost-64709-0-10295000-1419731834_thumb.j

• Like 1

Very nice color selections. Very chic and I sense a touch of a Parisian look combined.

I'm into astronomy, so I'd vote for the observatory first.

The artist studio would be my second choice because I am an artist.

Unfortunately the femme look I'm not so good at figuring out. I'm a tomboy type.

Someone else will have to jump in on that one.

Glad you've decided to join GL. We love pictures and love to gab all day about miniatures.

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome Selkie. Really looking forward to becoming involved. I love shabby chic and French provincial although I am Australian so I like Federation style as well. I thought the Observation tower would be good although I am having trouble finding a large telescope that I can afford so I will have a go at making one myself. Cheers Deborah

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. We are glad you are here. You have done a great job on your house.

I'd probably go with the observatory or artist studio.

What is your house asking for? Which idea does it like best? Many of us find that it goes easier if we let the house tell us what it wants.

Someone posted a tutorial for making a really lovely mini telescope. For a boudoir I'd gather a strip of lace into a circle to cover the window and have fun dressing a bed a la Williamson Walton-Marble or June Clinkscale, I once saw a tutorial for making bistro chair from a wire champagne cage that can be painted brass and trimmed with a tiny print and lace. Ornate buckles and jewelry findings can be incorporated with heavy card to make a froufrou vanity and mylar works well for mini mirrors.

• Like 2

Welcome to the fun,Deborah! Your house is gorgeous! Holly is one step ahead of me,as I was busy locating that telescope tutorial that a Greenleaf member did. :)http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/JUN2011/miniature-telescope.html I'm so glad you've joined us and look forward to seeing more of your work!~Kat

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. We are glad you are here. You have done a great job on your house.

I'd probably go with the observatory or artist studio.

What is your house asking for? Which idea does it like best? Many of us find that it goes easier if we let the house tell us what it wants.

Thanks for the welcome. My problem is my house wants it all lol

Thanks everyone for a very warm welcome. I am still finding out how this site works and not sure how to do individual replies to the forum or is it just done here? Thanks Kat and Holly for finding the telescope site for me. I will give it a go/ I am also having probs trying to put a profile pic on but it says it is too big. I clicked on crop adjust, it puts the dotted line around the pic but it doesn't crop it?

Anyway thanks again for the welcome. Be patient with me if I dont reply still trying to find out how it all works. Cheers Deborahpost-64709-0-01421600-1419750433_thumb.j

Welcome to the fun,Deborah! Your house is gorgeous! Holly is one step ahead of me,as I was busy locating that telescope tutorial that a Greenleaf member did :)http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/JUN2011/miniature-telescope.htmlI'm so glad you've joined us and look forward to seeing more of your work!~Kat

Thanks Kat. I have been made to feel really welcome. Like coming home lol. Only been doing the dollhouse a short while but something I have always wanted to do.

• Like 1

I am still finding out how this site works and not sure how to do individual replies to the forum or is it just done here?

Hi Deborah, and :welcome: to the forum.

Most replies are made here in the thread so everyone can access the shared wisdom. If you feel a need to contact an individual member, hover your cursor over their name to reach a pop-up window that has a Send a Message link.

I really like your Beacon Hill. It has a very welcoming shabby chic look about it. I enclosed the tower room on mine but haven't glued the tower cap to the building yet. Turning it into a room is appealing, although haunted attic is what keeps popping into my head.

• Like 1

For general pictures on the forum 800x600 pixels seems to upload faster and work well for display size.

The avatars are smaller than that though. I seem to remember they were 200x300 but I could be mistaken. It's been a long time since I created one.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the welcome and help with the avatar. I have been painting some of my new furniture shabby chic and it is coming up really well. The thing I like about painting things shabby chic is that you don't have to be a good painter lol. I received my led battery operated sensor lights today for the dollhouse. The work really well. Just clap your hands or touch the lamp and it turns on and repeat to turn them off.

Thanks Selkie for the help with the avatar. I found a great program called lightshot which lets you grab any pic on the screen. Puts a sizing box around it you can then save it. It worked well. My avatar is my vintage mannequin LULU. She was made in Sydney Australia in the 1920's. I rescued her from the footpath on a rainy day. Her legs were missing so she is now attached to the legs of an old captain's chair which I also found on chuckout day. I love rescuing old interesting things and making them beautiful again.

WISHING YOU ALL A VERY HAPPY AND SAFE NEW YEAR FOR 2015.
FROM DEBORAH AND ALL THE DOCTOR WHOS CELEBRATING ON THE FRONT STEPS OF MY DOLLHOUSE. YOU WILL NOTICE THAT THE FIRST ORIGINAL DOC WHO, IS DRINKING COKE BECAUSE HE IS THE DESIGNATED DRIVER OF THE TARDIS. LOL

post-64709-0-28066400-1419905816_thumb.j

The Doctors said the party was out of this world lol. The spice box is there because I am trying to decide on a letterbox. Do I have the square wooden type attached to the front verandah, or the American dome type that is on a post with a flag or the English type that is a brass slot in the front door or the French Cast iron type????? Decisions, Decisions lol