Turn Table

AndySeven

There is no 'correct' way. Having said that it is usual to mount the house to a board, mount the turmtable to that and then that is attached to another board. The reason for the first board is twofold. One, to provide a place to mount the table and two to provide support for the house. You can leave the bottom board off if you desire. I normally use half inch thickness boards. Hope this helps.

I have my turntable thing attached to a piece of wood sitting on a LONG table the houses sit on top the wood sheet with the turntable on the long table.(three houses on one table), I didn't attach the metal turntable to the houses, they work quite well. The BH and Westville are on turntables, the others are not.

I have two dh turntables - one was purchased from HBS/miniatures.com It has the turntable 'sandwiched' between two boards: the top one is a rectangle, and the bottom piece is a circle. The ready-made one can accommodate a small house, but I have also found that it is the perfect size to fit into the space on the underside of one of my larger houses...so there is very little clearance between the display table and the dh base. :)

I also have a smaller log cabin that is on just the turntable - no other boards- it has a flat base (no foundation) so it works quite well alone. And I do not have it attached permanently.

So you see- there is no 'right' way. Just whatever works best. :)

• Like 1

I have a old lazy susan i picked up at a flea market that most of my "in progress" builds set on. This way i can easily turn it around as i work on it. Then i have a more heavy duty metal one from miniatures.com that is attached to a platform that my creatin contest build is on.

• 2 months later...

I would like to add a question to the original question.  I have bought a RGT electrified turntable.  The part that brings the electricity to the DH is a kind of adapter, rather like that on computers and other electronics.  What I've found is that the adapter connection is a bit loose, and after a few revolutions falls out of contact with its "mate" which connects the DH wiring.

Has anyone used this or similar turntable?  Any suggestions for tightening up the connection?

Thanks,

Carolyn

You didn't mention if this is a finished house ready for display, or if it is a work in progress. I have one in progress, which is about 5 feet wide, and I was advised against trying to put it on a turntable. Instead I purchased a 1/2" plywood board and covered it on both sides with felt fabric. The whole thing is sitting on top of a table and I can easily move this huge house any way I need to, to work on it or display it.