Beacon Hill Renovations

beanball76

Hello - I am new to this blog. I'm in the process of renovating a Beacon Hill dollhouse. So far, I have taken a Dremel to the exterior and I am trying to sand it all down. However, the dollhouse is in rough shape and some of the orginal pieces are destroyed. Does anyone know if I can purchase replacement pieces for the Beacon Hill - like the scollops for the roof?

I doubt that I will be able to get the doll house to perfection because it is so glued that some of the pieces won't budge --- so I hope that a good sanding will fix the problems.

Any help would be great.

Christina

I am doing that too. It's a bash. I called greenleaf and I believe you can get parts, but they said no to me when I asked if they have different parts and enhancement parts if I want to change the kit to doors that open and railings for the roof line to create a widows walk. They suggested miniatures.com for parts in 1:12 scale.

Take a look at Gina's albums. She's under moreminis and she has a fantastic blog. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showuser=729

• Like 1

Christina, I hope you will introduce yourself to all of us over at the Newcomers Forum. You can buy other trims from HBS (http://www.miniatures.com) and it is possible to make your own doors and windows to replace any missing (I did that with a Laurel I got that was falling apart because it had been built with hot glue),

Sometimes a really tiny dowel, toothpick, or sliver of wood scrap will fill an obvious spot for support. Then a coat or two of spackle will smooth it all together. Once painted up no one is ever the wiser. Remember miniatures are about building the illusion of what you see in your mind. Sometimes we try too hard for perfection and it comes off looking artificial. Real life isn't perfect.

Selkie is right about filling gaps with scrap wood! :D I've done that on numerous occasions during rehabs! Sometimes I use balsa wood because it is so soft, I can easily form it to odd shapes.

And yes- go to miniatures.com or other online dollhouse miniatures companies to find replacement trims, windows, etc.

And BTW- welcome to our mini family!

Zap a Gap is just Superglue. The advantage of it is it's pointed top that can get into corners and cracks. I know of a famous DH window maker who uses it for windows and furniture. Can't stain over it though. They also have an "excellerator" spray to help it set faster but I've never seen it.

• 1 month later...

I'm building a Beacon Hill, and decided to modify the staircases. Several spots that were "rough" looking or had gaps, I used Elmer's wood filler on. You can add water to it to make it more pliable and I used a toothpick to get it into tight places. Sometimes you have to let it dry and layer it, but it worked good for me. You can also stain or paint over it.  You could probably even put it in one of those "injector" type glue needles and squeeze it into small places.