Looking for suggestions: Faux candy, for faux gingerbread houses

Jane S

Hello Greenleaf brains!

I am going to be doing the fall crafting session for my local school kindergarten and first grade. In the spring we did Fairy Gardens and now for the winter session we are going to create Faux Gingerbread houses so parents can have keep sake display for the future years!

I am still looking for other ideas on how to have the children create candy. Since it will be another class of 15 children, I have to keep the cost's down where I can. So crafting up, costs down.

I am going to use flatend string beads for "mm's and candies, I will probably use the foam candy colored balls for gumballs, twisted pipecleaners for candy canes and swirl candies..

I was thinking of maybe using batch "cold porcelain"(glue) and sand for them to create gummy candies, gum drops.

Anyone have any ideas of items that can be lot bought and crafted to replicate candies, keeping cost ratio x15, age range 5-7 and of course end result in mind?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jane

I have a bag of round woodsies...there are several different circle sizes in the pack. Thinking they could be painted pink for pink peppermints or brown for chocolate wafers and used on roofs.

Puffy paint, the stuff they make for Tshirts...in white for snow and brown for chocolate, green for greenery and red for holly berries could come in handy.

• Like 4

Great ideas Karin! I did not even think about the woodpacks!

I am trying to find a bulk supply of white puff paint now, I was thinking they could do some of the frosting that way..but so far I am still looking for reasonable prices ;)

I am going to have them decorate cookie/trees the colored puff paint would work out great for decorating those also.

How about making up a batch of old fashioned bread dough clay to make gumdrops outa.... my Gram used to do this with us... 2 cups flour to 1 cup salt and water ... course they have to be baked... but its cheap... have the kiddies paint them and roll them in glitter... and ta dah

• Like 1

Fantastic ideas everyone, Thank you! I have a nice little shopping list now.

Kari, I love that foam paint!! Oh the messes it would have saved last time ;)

Jane

• Like 2

Lol I kind of love the hunt. Kind of like a scavenger hunt online. Everyone I know asks me for ideas or for shopping leads. I really enjoy working on things like this. That school site is great for bulk craft items.