Refurbishing a doll house for my daughters that was built for me when I was 6

laurabluize

Hi, my name is Laura. I will try to make this quick. My parents had a doll house built for me in 1984. It was is really great condition until accidentally swiped it with my car because we had just moved and it was in my garage. Yes, I cried! Anyway, I have decided to fix it up. I am just not sure what to do first. I bought new carpet, wall paper, new shingles and paint. I have no idea if or how i should remove the old shingles or just replace the ones that are broken. I don't know if I should paint the house and shutters first. ( i hope i bought the right paint) :) And I don't know when i should put the wall paper up (i hope i bought the right wall paper glue) :) Basically, if anyone could please give me any advice i would really appreciate it. I also knocked down the beautiful pillars. I will attach some pics. Thank you in advance.

(it wouldn't let me upload the pics so I had to try this way)

Thanks, Laura

http://20140906_184211.jpg

http://20140906_131621.jpg

20140906_184229.jpg

20140907_122344.jpg

20140907_122240.jpg

20140907_122213.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome, Laura; that is a handsome house! :bear: If it were I, I would replace all the shingles; I would also prime the interior walls (with primer or paint) and sand down well before gluing on wallpaper (so that the wood acids don't ruin the paper). I like your flooring layout.

Paint types are a personal preference; I myself like the pint cans of interior latex satin or eggshell from the hardware store for my exterior paints because of their durability, but your acrylics are certainly very nice also. If it were I, I would paint the house exterior before I painted the shutters and windows. Everyone has to figure out what works best for her though.

Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Welcome to the little family, Laura. You can get new dowels at craft stores, the lumber section of hardware stores, or the craft section of WalMart. I use flat white interior latex paint to prime with and regular interior lates paints in semigloss or eggshell to paint the walls & exterior. I agree about starting over with the shingles, unless you know exactly which color and brand of stain will match what you already have. I use regular premixed wallpaper paste from the hardware store. Depending on what was used to hang the original wallpaper I'd try a mixture of water and white vinegar to dampen the old paper, and I would prime the walls & ceilings and seal the floors before hanging paper or putting in flooring.

Hi Laura, and :welcome: to the forum!

I would not start over with the shingles. Shingles are not much fun. I'd carefully tease out the broken ones and insert new ones and then use paint over the roof instead of stain.

Your supplies look to be in good order. :)

I'm not sure I'm looking at the same photos as Holly, but I don't see any wallpaper on the walls that needs to be removed. They appear to be raw wood to me. I would definitely give them a coat of paint to seal them before I put up the paper.

• Like 1

I'm with Kathie--try fixing the broken shingles, then IF it doesn't work, you can remove the old and put new ones on. (I like shingeling myself--so measureable!) Your paints and supplies look like a good stash to work with.

Hi Laura, and welcome. While I am not one who can help you, you came to the right place, as there a numerous experienced and talented people here who are willing to share their knowledge.

I must say, for a house that took a hit, it is looking fantastic. I like the flooring you picked out, and I especially like the outer windows. With a little TLC the place will be looking like new, so please post your updates.

How exciting!!!!!!! I did that to my dollhouse for my son! Having a boy to remodel for, proved to be a big thing, as now I'm hooked on this hobby! Lol I look forward to watching your progress! You're going to love this forum!!!

While shingling is a pain - - I would remove them and start over, simply because I am a tad ODC and wouldn't be able to stand the fact that they were originally installed incorrectly. Lay them out like staggered 'brick work', rather than lined up as they are now. Yes, it will require cutting half shingles for the edges of every-other row, but the finished look will be much nicer.

And I am a bit heat-gun crazy as well and tend to use gentle heat to remove windows and shutters. It will make painting easier ( and actually wallpaper installation goes better if the windows aren't installed!)

The house is great, and your supplies and flooring choices look good. Like Holly, I use RL interior house paint for the exterior of my houses, but your craft paint will also work fine.

Looks like you are off to a good start! Have fun! :)