New member from Florida :)

nsmar4211

Kari, I grew up on Macy Street just off of Georgia Avenue and two blocks north of Forest Hills Boulevard. When I was there in 2010 for my 50th high school reunion (Palm Beach High hasn't existed for a very long time) I almost got lost hunting up my parents' old house (it was still there, undergoing a lot of renovation).

I'm about an hour , maybe 45 north of you Kari :).

Ok, no naked mole rats for me LOL. I do however admit that when I FINALLY caught a mole in my yard....I just didnt have the heart to dispatch it because, well, it was CUTE. Andddd I think it came back from where i put it so my yard is, well, mushy now....but it definetly had fur :)

• Like 1

I don't sweat moles in the yard. They eat all the earthworms their little tummies can hold and when the pickings get slim, they burrow on over to the neighbor's yard. I have a friend who uses every mole removal remedy she can get her hands on. Doesn't get rid of them any faster than I do. It's sort of like a cold -- it will last a week if you don't treat it, but 7 days if you do. :D

• Like 1

I wouldnt mind a week of tunnels, but its been two months and they're taking over the WHOLE yard. I have an elderly relative with me and it's dangerous for him. I was trying not to posion for grubs but I may have to resort to that. Doesn't help that one neighbor has hardly any grass so they looooovvveeee my house :(.

I think I'd rather put up with moles than with fire ants or ground-nesting yellow jackets, like we had in our yard in Havana. What you need are a nice big female barred owl with a family of hungry babies to feed; she'll take care of your moles along with any field mice, wild rabbits or other rodents; or a beautiful big Eastern indigo snake. Our resident indigo apparently is snacking on all the other local snakes since we have a few moles; but I miss our lovely barred owl who used to roost in the pine tree out in front of the Havana house whilst she was scouting her dinner menu.

Um, I have the fire ants and the yellow jackets too. Yep, I'm all set :). Had a few black snakes but they seem to be gone :(. Haven't seen but two owls in 10 years in this area either. The only useful thing is they are keeping the driveway edged because they run tunnels next to it....

Now that's a lot of wildlife! I've had fire ants a couple of times but the only thing I have to deal with on a regular basis are bunnies. Don't get me wrong, they're cute and adorable and I love watching all the babies and all, but man, can they EAT my daisies, pansies and echinacea! Having a "guard dog" (chiweenie) that isn't much bigger than the bunnies themselves doesn't seem to be helping keep them out of the yard either, so I just plant 4 times what I expect I'll need and hope it's enough.

So what are your plans for the Franklin? Or is it still "talking" to you?

Ahh, now I remember this build! It's the house with the perfectly amazing shingles that I've drooled over since I first saw it. Makes me want to rip off the shingles on my VM800 and start over! :D I like your idea for the floor plan layout too.