New member from Florida :)

nsmar4211

Hi there!

Some of you have already seen me, but I figure I should follow the rules and introduce myself.

I live in South Florida. My first first dollhouse was built by the dad, got left behind in a move (sniffle). Second one was a kit of fiberboard (don't remember the name) that I built in college, was given to a friend for her daughters when I ran out of room in my living quarters. Third one was recent, rescued from goodwill , plywood homemade job. Fourth one came shortly after I finally finished painting the goodwill dollhouse, and is a trash pile rescue. Thanks to the kinda people here, I found out it's an Artply Franklin. After much debate, I'm keeping it. The goodwill one is safe for now because there's a lot of work to be done on the trash pile one!

I've loved miniatures since I was a kid, one of the first things I ever used the internet for (yes, I predate the internet) was to search out dollhouse miniature DIY ideas. Got my first lesson on searches too when "The Dollhouse" ended up NOT being about minis. Right in the middle of a busy computer lab......luckily I was able to get the browser window closed before the picture loaded too far but SHEESH.

I've done minis in everything from air dry clay to real ceramic clay to fimo clay....I learned to have the miniature "eye" and even when not actively doing dollhouses would come up with uses for "trash". I also enjoy the art of Bonsai, and raise succulent bonsai (Portulacaria afra, Baby Jade). Recently I've started making little scenes to go in the bonsai pots too, still toying with materials and designs.

Thank you to everyone who has helped so far :) in my dollhouse restore journey :)

• Like 1

Welcome, Sue. I predate the Internet too. The first thing I searched on the Internet was - are you ready for this - the World's Largest Ball of Twine. I had seen the movie Michael where John Travolta is an angel who wants to see, among other things, the World's Largest Ball of Twine, and I was determined to find out if such a thing really exists.

What I found out is that we have two World's Largest Balls of Twine - one in Darwin, Minnesota, and the other in Cawker City, Kansas. The one in Kansas is bigger, but the one in Minnesota is the largest ball of twine created by only one man. I made a point of visiting both of them.

As much as my life improved by learning about these balls, my best use of the Internet definitely involves minis. For one thing, it took me to this site. I feel so connected to the miniature world, and without the Internet, I would have never guessed that so many bright and talented people share my hobby.

I have to say though, I too received a trial by error searching lesson about The Dollhouse, and ever since I type the word minatures next to the word dollhouse in my search. I therefore appreciated your story.

So welcome again, and keep us posted on your projects. You have an interesting background in miniatures, and I would love to see some of your work.

• Like 1

My first place to go on the internet was actually a dollhouse newsgroup, that in turn led me to Small Stuff, thence to the Dollhouse Miniatures forum, where I met Tracy and joined the Greenleaf forum; Small Stuff and this forum are still going strong; spammers destroyed the other two.

LOL! I remember Tina's mom, of Tina's Dollhouses in Starke, Florida, telling me that she would get calls from men asking if they had "red headed girls" or some other question that wasn't "G" rated about their business. I didn't have any problems of the "adult themed" variety with my first internet search- luckily, the search filters were on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

How funny...I did the same thing when I first got online...and found small stuff digest, the free hbs catalog and the free British catalog Dollshouse Emporium..I don't think that one is free anymore. Anyway, welcome!

The Newberg was my first "bid" on ebay. Then I panicked, backed out of the sale and got my one and only negative feedback on ebay Lol :) I did apologize profusely to the seller, but she didn't seem to care for my apology. I ended up getting a Newberg and building it eventually (sort of...I never did finish the inside before my cat tipped it over and broke it apart). Oh, what Ive learned since those days:)

...Oh, what Ive learned since those days:)

Haven't we all! And this is precisely why I keep harping at our newbies whose desire for perfection paralizes them into total inaction to go with the flow and don't sweat the mistakes, because they can always be fixed.

Welcome to the forum, Sue! We are glad to have you! It will be fun to watch the progress on your Franklin.

I have to add my searching stories here. During my lunch hour one day I googled "orchid" and wound up getting a virus on my work computer. Try explaining that to the IT guys! But I guess it prompted them to up our security measures because a month or two later I tried googling "naked mole rat" and got banned from the Internet for an hour. Ah, good times.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, Sue! We are glad to have you! It will be fun to watch the progress on your Franklin.

I have to add my searching stories here. During my lunch hour one day I googled "orchid" and wound up getting a virus on my work computer. Try explaining that to the IT guys! But I guess it prompted them to up our security measures because a month or two later I tried googling "naked mole rat" and got banned from the Internet for an hour. Ah, good times.

OK, you got me; why did you google "naked mole rat"?

My daughter used to watch Kim Possible (a cartoon) back in the day and her sidekick was a naked mole rat. I was telling someone at work about the show but decided to look one up because they didn't believe that it was an actual creature.

But I guess the story is a lot more interesting if the explanation is left off. :D