Problem with Wood in Primrose Kit

kmaw

My daughter and I opened the box for the Primrose Kit today and we are very disappointed with the quality of the wood. Even with very gentle handling, the plywood layers are coming apart in chunks and the inner layers are crumbling (I'm actually not even sure what kind if plywood it is-- it is much redder in colour than the wood in the picture on the box). I can't see any way to sand these pieces or assemble the house with the wood in this state. The Primrose was very inexpensive, so I'm not that concerned about the money lost, but I'm wondering if this is common with Corona Concepts/Greenleaf kits. Has anyone else had this experience?

I had some sheets in my Glencroft kit like that when I built my pub, and I described how I dealt with the delamination problem in my section of the Team Glencroft blog. The last couple of site updates have done not nice things to the search functions, so I'm not sure how navigable that blog is. I used my utility knife to remove the pieces, and if they were too bad I was known to dip the tip of my finger into a puddle of wood glue and stroke the "wrong" side of a piece that had come off (I used a toothpick for small bits) and kept a set cloth handy to wipe off on). I had so many parts of the Glencroft that were stained that I went ahead and stained entire sheets that were half-timbers, trims and doors before removing the pieces. Once I had the pieces goued together I covered the join with a scrap of waxed paper and clamped it until the next day. Once the glue was dry the piece was just as strong as if it hadn't delaminated.

Is this a new kit or one you purchased off eBay or some other site?

The reason I'm asking is that improper storage can exacerbate this problem as can old age. If it is a very old kit, it may be a problem on all the wood. It is repairable thru using wood glue and spackle but just a longer process. If it is one piece or sheet you can purchase extras to fix it.

If you bought it directly from Greenleaf as a new kit from them, you can contact customer service and they will replace any defective parts. They are VERY good about that sort of thing.

Good luck and let us know ow you make out.

That happened to my Lily (that I bought from HBS) - one whole sheet crumbled to bits and delaminated very badly. They were super helpful in having Greenleaf send a replacement sheet directly from the factory.

Naturally, that would have broken into slivers before it reached Dubai - so I "had" to order a Magnolia (same size box) to ship with the sheet.

I've been told I have a strangely economical way of solving problems hehehehehehe

• Like 2

That happened to my Lily (that I bought from HBS) - one whole sheet crumbled to bits and delaminated very badly. They were super helpful in having Greenleaf send a replacement sheet directly from the factory.

Naturally, that would have broken into slivers before it reached Dubai - so I "had" to order a Magnolia (same size box) to ship with the sheet.

I've been told I have a strangely economical way of solving problems hehehehehehe

Dealing with the climate in Dubai, it makes perfect sense to me, living in the hot, humid SE US.

Dealing with the climate in Dubai, it makes perfect sense to me, living in the hot, humid SE US.

You'd think! But my kit arrived from the US 8 days after ordering and I opened it immediately to check everything - it was one of the middle sheets (and the one with all the fragile porch trim and posts).

Thank goodness for airconditioning and double-glazing; Dubai houses on the inside are quite stable temperature-wise.