2014 Aztec Wholesale Show

Well, it's that time of year again. Time for the Aztec Wholesale Show. I am looking forward to attending (as a buyer). I always like to see the new products that are being released. It is also a great time to make new supplier contacts.

A couple of things --

• I am looking for suggestions for inventory. What items are you having trouble locating? I realize you can find almost anything online anymore, but what is it you need that nobody seems to carry or carry at a decent price?
  • What do you need? Go to my Facebook page (link is below) and read the August 2nd post. I will do what I can to help you.

https://www.facebook.com/AllAboutMiniatures

I also have a couple of guest badges if anyone is within a few hours driving distance. One male and one female badge. There are no buying privileges with them, but we can work around that.

Greg I have a feeling that as soon as that show is over I will be able to come up with a few things I feel are hard to find. For now I can't think of anything, except for a few small items, like braided chair pads and a toilet paper holder. I would also like to see a greater selection of battery-operated lights, but I have a feeling the more popular these lights become, the more styles will be produced in the near future.

Have a great time at the show if you haven't already attended.

Building materials! None of our local shows ever carry building materials like wood trim and electrical kits. It always seems to be more about miniatures and less about the materials required to build a house.

• Like 1

Building materials! None of our local shows ever carry building materials like wood trim and electrical kits. It always seems to be more about miniatures and less about the materials required to build a house.

If you ever get to any of the shows where I have setup, you will find your building materials. At the Chicago 3 Blind Mice Show 80% of what I sold was trim, doors, windows, bricks, flooring and other building materials. I always get two tables and at least one has nothing but building materials. This is because of what you said -- nobody carries building materials. I also keep my laptop handy and let customers look through my supplier's sites and take orders. I am in the process of creating a catalog, too.

Any type of affordable lighting that does not look fake or plastic-y (is that even a word?). Right now I order lights from the UK because even with shipping they are cheaper than what's sold here....

• Like 1

I found asphalt shingles!! :jumping:

Alessio Miniatures now makes asphalt shingles similar (better) than What's Next! They even come in half scale. Rectangular, hex and fish scale in black spruce green and red.

• Like 1

I want real clay Spanish curved roof tiles. And a 1950s stove like the one in The Help. The new Aztec one is close, but not perfect. I wish there were more modern kitchen and bathroom furniture made out of plastic - one, they wouldn't be so expensive and two, they can be painted to look like porcelain and metal easier than wood. I definitely want more variety in porch posts, doors, and windows. I also wish someone would make stained glass windows already framed. And triple and quadruple and quintuple (is that a word?) windows. More sunrooms. Daybeds - I can never seem to find any daybeds. Wicker furniture kits, because I can't afford the finished pieces. A million tax free dollars and a partridge in a pear tree.......oh, yeah, and light switches that switch up and down like Electalite (sp?) used to have instead of the slide ones and light switches that can be installed through wainscoting and paneling. And lights with a small plug on the end, instead of the big one. And more variation in the plug and light switch covers. I guess I can quit now.

If you ever get to any of the shows where I have setup, you will find your building materials. At the Chicago 3 Blind Mice Show 80% of what I sold was trim, doors, windows, bricks, flooring and other building materials. I always get two tables and at least one has nothing but building materials. This is because of what you said -- nobody carries building materials. I also keep my laptop handy and let customers look through my supplier's sites and take orders. I am in the process of creating a catalog, too.

Online or real life? If you come out with a real life catalog, I would be happy to pay for one. I'm not a big fan of online catalogs.

I want real clay Spanish curved roof tiles...

So did I, until I got ahold of a Pierce with real clay bricks on the chimney; just that one piece weighed SO much! I'd be happy to simulate the roof tiles with paper.

Okay, so it is 1:00 in the morning and I just got back from the Aztec Wholesale Show. The vendors were great and I have some new suppliers I will be buying from on a regular basis. I was also disappointed in a couple of things --

1) Some of the handmade (artisan) items were of poor quality. Items were falling apart on tables, things weren't centered, pieces were missing. I realize you may have been in a rush to get ready for the show, but come on -- the show is every year. I won't buy it if it is not right.

2) The buying crowd seemed to be down this year. The place was quieter and when a couple of us came back from lunch today and looked down a couple of hallways you could just tell that fewer people were attending. The word from some people "in the know" is that some businesses are struggling or have closed their doors.

Back to happy news -- my half scale friends will be happy to know that I found some new half scale items. I also found some very cool 1:12 stuff. I will post some pictures Monday and more pictures of new items that are out there after the larger orders I placed ship to me.

• Like 1

Back to happy news -- my half scale friends will be happy to know that I found some new half scale items. I also found some very cool 1:12 stuff. I will post some pictures Monday and more pictures of new items that are out there after the larger orders I placed ship to me.

Thank you Greg!!!!!!! :banana:

Sad to hear about the decline in attendance - but it doesn't surprise me. In the last few weeks I've heard of at least 2 more shops that have closed...and I am just waiting for the one closest to me to finally close. :( The owner is an older woman in declining health. Sure wish I had the money to buy her out and put some fresh energy into her business!

At any rate- I sure would be interested in your catalog, Greg! :) As a rehab fanatic myself, I am always looking for building materials and lighting fixtures at good prices.