Morningside Update

jrchob

I vote for the extra piece too! It adds a great deal and gives just enough interruption to the eye moving up to create a pleasing effect. Also, the little people won't get wet while they fumble for their keys when they come home in stormy weather!

• Like 4

I can't imagine why you would still be debating over that entry way cover. Now that it's up, why wouldn't you want to glue it in place? I was thinking the same as Selkie - the little people won't get wet waiting for the door to open. It will also protect their little heads from the sun.

• Like 2

I vote for the extra piece too! It adds a great deal and gives just enough interruption to the eye moving up to create a pleasing effect. Also, the little people won't get wet while they fumble for their keys when they come home in stormy weather!

Also, the darn front door won't warp from getting wet every time it rains.... grrrr..... real life house giving LOTS of problems in this regard. They think just because it is a desert, they don't have to plan for the 20 days of rain we get every year.

• Like 1

I'm surprised the cover over the door isn't included in the kit; architecturally it definitely appears to belong.

Actually there was an angled one that I didn't care for. Looked too clunky, so I made this one

I hate to be the lone voice of dissention, but when I look at it with the piece I see the letter "H" and I can't stop my brain from seeing it. The house has got lovely vertical lines, and the line of black across is messing with that.

So I'm a No... except...

1. this is a photo, and in person the effect may not be so pronounced, and

2. Like Lene, I always think of my houses in real-life terms and in real life you'd want something over that door!

Maybe I'm an I-don't-know. But I thought I'd throw in my .02 USD to give you more to think about. :)

• Like 1

In comparing the with and without photos, the house without seems to be sort of squished together. The with view seems more sturdy and substantial. I'd use your version of the porch roof.

• Like 1

I hate to be the lone voice of dissention, but when I look at it with the piece I see the letter "H" and I can't stop my brain from seeing it.

Without the porch roof it reminds me of two exclamation points... ! !

Happy to help your brain see additional stuff. :D

• Like 1

Thank you all for your help. I have decided that something needs to go above the door, but not what came with the kit and maybe not what I have there now. I did get a chuckle out of the H and !!

Shellie Kazan did a most beautiful job with this house and created a gabled structure over the door. Maybe I will look at that again. My problem with that was finding the right decorative gable to use for the size and angle.

Thank you all for your help. I have decided that something needs to go above the door, but not what came with the kit and maybe not what I have there now. I did get a chuckle out of the H and !!

Shellie Kazan did a most beautiful job with this house and created a gabled structure over the door. Maybe I will look at that again. My problem with that was finding the right decorative gable to use for the size and angle.

Get you some ornamental trim (from HBS or Northeastern Scale Lumber or whereever) and miter it!

You can cut a plain triangle from basswood to fit, cut pieces to go from the apex down each lide, and then gussy up the flat, triangular front with trim. If You replaced those two windows with a pair of French doors you could go with the flat pieece and convert it into a balcony with an ornamental "iron" railing.