Starting a fairy garden.

My husband built me a little garden box yesterday. It's 20" x 50" and I decided it would be fun to make a little fairy garden. I went and bought a bunch of tiny plants, but I have no garden furniture so it's hard to decide where everything should be. I haven't decided if I want a hollow log home or a little hobbit hole. I need to buy some gravel for the pathway, make some fences...

So anyone else have experience with the fairy garden thing? I don't necessarily care if it's for "fairies" more of just a mini garden.

• Like 2

Boxwood bushes make wonderful mini trees. When you buy them, you will see there are several trunks in the pot. Split them up and plant them.

The dollar store or Michaels have lots of little accessories and at xmas you can get lots of resin stuff in the xmas house aisle.

• Like 2

A lot of garden centers (like the ones that sell hanging baskets of flowers and bedding plants) now carry fairy garden items and the plants that go with them. I went to a class at the local Green Valley Greenhouse and made a real cute fairy garden. You might find a local one with staff that could help you select plants.

• Like 1

I've found fairy garden furniture and accessories in a couple of very unlikely places and the prices are amazingly affordable. Check out the garden center at Collections Etc http://www.collectionsetc.com/Products/Outdoor-amp-Garden/category.aspx/_/N-mxm8/No-576 (do a search for fairy and it'll pop up all kinds of things) and Victorian Trading Company. They have a whole section of fairy garden stuff now. http://www.victoriantradingco.com/category/102107/fairy-garden There are some reeeeeeeeally nice pieces there.

Succulents make excellent trees and bushes and plants for fairy gardens because they don't grow very fast or very large and they look so exotic that it adds a lot of interest to a fairy garden. I have three cactus and rock tubs going plus one tub with just succulents that is big enough to add in some minis once the plants are fully established. When I get the landscaping done to build my rock garden, it will incorporate the mini village (quarter scale) into it. So that's a totally different kind of fairy garden in the desert than the ones in deep green foliage. Deana, you're really coming along well with your large village. You got the placement of the houses just right. I can't wait to see the trains in it.

Ya, well, I have to move some things around, I have 3 more houses to add.....

Which three?

Mary, I just now saw your pictures and your fairy garden is so bright and cheerful! The little washtub is my favorite detail. It's adorable sitting there as if a fairy suddenly decided there was something else she'd rather do than laundry. Fairies are known to do that kind of thing. LOL! I agree with Deana, you have to give it a name.

I have this along the fence.

attachicon.gif1491 (800x600).jpg

This is as far as I got last year. I have trains to add as well as the roads and plants.

attachicon.gif010 (2) (800x600) (800x600).jpg

Wow!! Love your gardens. I'm afraid mine is on it's way to becoming like your second picture. I was telling a friend the other day that I'm going to need a lot more room next year!!

Mary, you should look up fiddlehead houses. They look like they are the same scale as your little houses. Mine are large - 1:12 scale. The castle is larger than the Orchid dollhouse. If I had a place in the yard, I would set up a smaller scale village and I would love to have what Anna says she is going to do which is houses made from 'found' items (logs, twigs, bark).

In fact, Anna needs to pop in here and post pics of what she has.

Deb, I had 3 of these houses and I got the other 3 this spring. http://www.plowhearth.com/phsearch.htm?tSearch=fairy

This is my porch fairy garden. I got some plants that stay small from a nursery near by that sells fairy garden supplies. I'm especially fond of the little white flowering "bush".

• Like 2

My past 3 months have been nothing but fairy gardens!!

I taught a 6 week course to kids recently and have been doing some work for Polyform makers of Sculpey, so I will chime in on some of the things I have been doing, and maybe will inspire some thoughts to you.

• Tiny scaled birdhouses when decorated make amazing little fairy house centerpieces.
  • Never under estimate the power of your scrap clay for creating all kinds of furniture, benches, fountains, tools and stepping stones.
  • Mushrooms also made easily when your swimming in clay :fish1:
  • Depending on where your located, Dollar store has glass cabochons, stone, shells etc..
  • Chia seeds make quick easy ground cover, also there are forms of creeping Thyme that look great in gardens small forms of Sedum which can be snipped and will regrow pretty much anywhere...

Tomorrow I will be posting a picture of my daughters fairy house on my blog that I am creating for her. Its a Polymer clay covered birdhouse/fairy house, that might spark some inspiration also :cheezy:

~J

post-15596-0-93918600-1402374072_thumb.j

post-15596-0-76911700-1402374076_thumb.j

• Like 2

JANE.....you are my HERO...I have been searching my brain for a project to do with my grans....tytyt

love all the other gardens...I would love to do one someday!

what would one do with a greenleaf house to make it durable(ish) for outside? polyurethane?

• Like 2

OH MY! So many wonderful ideas. I've decided to make a hobbit hole. I've started the door frame and window frame for the house. I have plants and am going to have my husband help with some of the details. I have a 20"x50" garden box to work with so it leaves a little bit of space. Thank you all for sharing your photos, keep it up! This is a fun thread!

JANE.....you are my HERO...I have been searching my brain for a project to do with my grans....tytyt

love all the other gardens...I would love to do one someday!

what would one do with a greenleaf house to make it durable(ish) for outside? polyurethane?

Thanks hon, it was great fun teaching the little ones about wee folk and also inspiring new miniaturists :bigwink: They created little bowls, painted with fine brushes and thought about scale!

Just a note for your project.. a lot of that even the bowls/hanging pots were from the dollar store, to keep costs low.

Waterproofing the birdhouses can be done with many various things but I decided to use wood glue, being concerned with the children touching these for a couple weeks. So I coated the interior and exterior with the bulk waterproof wood glue I have vast quantities of. I am looking into this product though: Never Wet by rustoleum Seems like it might have alot of potential..it can even make cardboard waterproof! LOL

Best of luck on your Gardens!

~J

• Like 1