Stucco Technique

CheckMouse

I got onto a rabbit trail yesterday, after reading a thread about polymer clay for stones and bricks. One site let to another mini-site, on and on, and I was a long way from home by the time I came up for air! But I found one very intriguing method of making stucco siding on a room box. I'm about to start a room box - a love nest for my latest dolls made by Wolfie - and I want to practice something new on the outside walls. This method uses crumpled tissue paper glued to the walls! I'll have to try it on a sample piece of wood, just to see how it looks. But I thought I would share it with the group - maybe someone here has already tried it. I never heard of it before. Here's the link --

http://minifan99.tripod.com/tuscancourtyardtutorial/id5.html

Isn't minifan99 on this forum???

Thanks, Kathie. I didn't think I had seen the name in quite awhile - and wasn't sure about the following numbers either. It's kind of sad to scroll through old postings from several years ago and realize those people are not active on the forum anymore :(

I know I've seen pictures of this done in a room, but it was many moons ago. Maybe try a gallery search with words tissue and stucco if you're interested in seeing more pictures of it done.

What every happened to Wenlaine?

I tried the tissue paper stucco once and swore never again. Now I may have been doing it wrong, but I had the biggest mess ever. It came out looking OK, but Lisa went to Home Depot or Michael's (I think, I'll ask her if you want me to double check) and came home with a huge roll of stucco like wallpaper for only about $6. It looks right in scale and I've used it here:

post-2875-0-57194200-1398474292_thumb.jp

This might not be what you're looking for, but all I did was cut it like wallpaper, paint it, and glue it on.

• Like 6

I'm not sure I would want to do the tissue paper thing - looks a bit flimsy to me. That's why I was wondering if anyone has done it. I like your wallpaper idea, Kelly. Is that RL wallpaper? Or is it like scrapbooking paper? It looks wonderful on your building.

I am using Kleenex as stucco on my Harrison. I put it on smooth, then mush it with paint to get texture. It actually looks really nice, and the paint makes it hard. It's pretty easy to do too, and is a good scale. Aaron used it on his Glencroft, and has some nice how to pictures in his gallery.

OK, Lisa says she got the roll of "stucco" in the paint section of Wal-mart and it only cost about $6 to $8. It's a big roll, so it will last a long time. I think it's about 3' or 4' long, but not unmanageable if you have a table to work on.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just tried a product from the painting section for the interior walls in a real house. It is Wall Texture. for fixing repairs on real life walls. I sprayed the outside of the dollhouse, and I am really excited with the look. I would put a thumbnail up, but haven't figured out how to delete all the old ones. the can gives you an option of fine medium or heavy to determine what you want the stucco to resemble. I like it (cheep and easy)

• Like 2

I have used mod podge/ toilet tissue for a inexpensive stucco look for many of my houses...I like the added strength that is added and how stucco you want it depends on how neat you apply it

Just used it last on a Laurel I built couple summers ago.,,it is my favorite method and doesnt add weight! good for a kids house!

• Like 1

Glad you brought this thread to life, again, Nutti. I have FINALLY finished my micro house so the room box is my next project, probably this winter. Never expected that micro house to take so long! Of course, actual work time wasn't that long, just the time I could find available for it. I've got two room boxes in my head now for the next projects.

Lawanda,I saw your photos in the gallery today and that stuff looks amazing! I like that you say it gives you a choice of light to heavy texture and I like cheap and easy,too! :) I can't wait to be able to get out and shop again so I can get a can and try it. It's always fun to see a real life product used for a mini finish or technique,like so many spoken of here. Thanx for sharing with us!:)

• Like 1

..... I would put a thumbnail up, but haven't figured out how to delete all the old ones .....

If you go to the top right corner and use the drop down under your name, click on My Settings. When that opens, look on the left hand side of the page and select Manage Attachments. From there you can select which ones you want to delete. A good plan is to start with the oldest ones. But also consider what reason you had for inserting it. For example, if it is part of a tutorial or detailed explanation you gave, then you probably should leave it so others can make sense out of the post down the road when they are reading it.

• Like 1

I also used torn up tissues for stucco as I was painting my Westville. It was really easy to do and I think it looks okay.

I went to look at your Westville and I really like how it turned out now I want to try it on something for myself (like most 6 year olds I have to do it just because you did..I know... Im terrible) :)
  • Like 1