WOW! HOLY!

me-barbie

:banana: My sister has just been awarded a 10K doctoral fellowship!!!! (she starts her Ph.D in Native Studies this fall)

This TOTALLY covers her tution and research costs!!!!

:1st: :happydance:

Course, now she has to research and write da book....

• Like 7

Your sister is lucky to have someone proud enough of her to post this announcement. I'm sure they don't give these awards to everyone, so she must have worked very hard for this. Your support must mean a lot to her, so I hope you both got some down time to celebrate together.

Congratulations to your sister,Barbara. My ignorance is showing again,though-I looked it up but still don't quite understand what it is she'll be doing/getting? I feel silly not understanding what everyone else seems to,but am very glad when anyone gets well deserved acknowledgment!:)

Ph.D. in for Doctor of Philosophy. (In UK DPhil)

Native Studies is a broad field, covering both historical and contempory issues. In the US, you would call it American Indian Studies. In Canada, depending on the university, it's either Native studies or Indigenous Studies.

Her dissertation, basically a researched book, will be on the changing image of First Nation people in film, using mostly NFB material. She has about a years worth of classes, mostly in research methods and then she does the actual research and writing,

This will allow her to be on the tenure track at the university she teaches at.

Okay,Barbara,it's clearer to me now. I 'got' the PH.D in Native studies part,I just didn't know what a doctoral fellowship was or that she was already teaching. And I had to look up NFB-National Film Board,right?lol I really don't mean to be a pain and I think it's wonderful that she is getting her tution paid to do this! I only went to community college,so these higher education details confuse the heck out of me! I do know how great having tution paid is as my younger son went to college on a $100,000 academic scholarship. I wish more people had these opportunities to better themselves and Bravo for your sister! :) Having a small trace of Native American heritage that my father's ancesters tended to 'hush up' at one time,sadly, I would love to read the book,also.

This will allow her to be on the tenure track at the university she teaches at.

And the smartest thing of all is planning for the long term like this. She's put in a lot of hard work to get this far and deserves a bottle of bubbly to celebrate. Good for her!