how do you feel when people find out about your interest in miniatures?

Tinkerbelle

After our most recent move I waited nearly three years for a workshop, looking for  contractor.  Our "guestroom" is my needlecraft & doll room, but nowhere to work on building.

• Like 1

I have told a few people my new hobby but they always seem disinterested. My immediate family, my kids for sure, are exicted. My mother-in-law has always like mini things and she's excited. I'd love to make a smaller house for her for Christmas. I scrapbooked for years and even though that was a popular hobby, I still got so many people my age who always said, I just don't have time for that.

• Like 1

Jessie, It's great when they try to help isn't it? My SIL wanted to give me a telephone but it was 3 inches tall. I politely explained the 1:12 scale and thanked her for her kindness. It kind of puts you in an awkward position when they are trying to help but don't fully grasp scale.

LOL, so true. My son is always doing this to me. He tries to help and sometimes he's spot on and sometimes he's not.

I always felt intimidated when people would say "I just don't have time for that!"

Like I was not spending my time in the fruitful productive life like them. Working extra hours for more money...hey maybe if I

did I would have a newer car and so on.

Anyone have someone try to put you on a guilt trip that way? Maybe they are jealous lol

Cheryl, some of the early posts in this topic deal with the issue of people who don't "get it" making disparaging remarks.  I think our consensus is that people who have to run down and belittle a hobby because they themselves don't have a life have issues we don't need to buy into.  Ignore them.

• Like 2

Cheryl, I have had people make that same comment, I find they are usually the same kind of people who said stuff when my husband was deployed "I could never be away from husband that long, I love him too much". Like me falling apart would be such a great thing, when he is at war, like he needs that on his mind. If my car broke down, I handled it, if my teenager snuck out, I handled it, he didn't need me sitting at home crying about how I missed him too much to live, unable to function, cause that's true love

They'll always be THAT type of person.

I just felt they aren't people I want around me, they make those comments, I ignore them, unless they keep making them ...

Holly is right, ignore them.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Usually people are really impressed and interested when I tell them about my dollhouse and miniatures. I once had a very exciting conversation with a cashier at Michael's who wanted to know everything about my progress in building my dollhouse lol (I was buying some balsa wood)! People in my family usually just ask about how I got started etc. My grandma built a dollhouse once and was really into miniatures so it's not a new thing in my family.

My girlfriend doesn't really understand my obsession with miniatures but she said as long as I'm enjoying it, it's a good thing. :)