The real-life Pierce

elfprincess

I watched Ghost Adventures yesterday. Wasn't paying attention until I heard the words Pierce Family and Victorian Mansion. I glanced up from my laptop, saw a photograph of the full-sized Pierce, and immediately recognised it.

The background story spooked me a bit. Scary stuff. The poor owners! What a gorgeous house, though. Greenleaf have done a great job with the exterior. Maybe you should ask GL to make a 26-room version! LOL.

I'd assumed that many forum members would already know about the Pierce's tragic history. Until Ghost Adventures I'd never heard of the real-life house or its past. Lillian Otero and Edwin Gonzales bought it in 2009, I believe. A few years ago they moved out for good. They still own it and take part in occasional house tours but the spirit activity, atmosphere etc scared them - Lillian especially - so badly they couldn't go on living there. They became ill. They love the house, all the same, and don't want to sell it. What a situation.

The interior is just ravishing. A time capsule.

I'm probably in the minority but I'm never quite sure these things are for real.

Before I say this, for the record, I'll state that I'm a very spiritual person by nature and beliefs.

But - the "scary ghosts" things always seem fake or manufactured in someone's inner fears to me.

Of course, I could be very wrong!! Just saying how it seems to me.

I had heard of the Pierce mansion before. I think someone posted a link quite a long time ago.

Isn't it just beautiful? Just imagine how someone created all of that so long ago. Wow!

I'd lo-o-o-ove to live in a 26 room mansion. Course I couldn't afford it but it surely would be fun.

I feel it is kinda creepy inside. I guess I would have thought that even if I hadn't know the back story. I am new to dollhouse building (didn't know the history of the house until now) and am actually in the middle of my dry build now of this awesome house. It is really a beauty of a house never the less.

Oh my goodness Pauline, I had no idea!! I've always been completely twitterpated with the Pierce as my most beloved of all dollhouses, but this just adds a bit of extra icing to the cake. I love haunted houses so this only adds to my fascination of the Pierce. It's also great timing to learn about it right after I'd decided to let my Witch move into my Pierce. Witches love ghosts.

Before I say this, for the record, I'll state that I'm a very spiritual person by nature and beliefs.

But - the "scary ghosts" things always seem fake or manufactured in someone's inner fears to me.

Of course, I could be very wrong!! Just saying how it seems to me.

<nodding in agreement> I'm pretty open about admitting that I'm an empath/medium (Yep, I "see" dead people) so I don't mind saying that some of the antics on those shows are rather annoying. I haven't watched Ghost Adventures yet but as long as they aren't shouting at the spirits and acting foolish, I'll give it a try and set the dvr for it. <chuckling> There's at least one show (and I have no idea what the name of it is) where the "paranormal expert" goes around taunting the spirits and then screams and runs like a six year old girl at the slightest sound of a bug or mouse. I sit there shaking my head because most of the "responses" are obviously fake or easily explained. I've seen a few that did seem genuine (and were probably more like minor poltergeist activity) but for the most part, all that screaming does is annoy the spirits and drives them away. Spirits were people too and if those "experts" would simply provide a source of energy and some quiet time, they'd get genuine responses.

But I digress about from the main point which is an amazing story about a Pierce! I'm going to run get a glass of ice water and then settle in to read all about it, At first glance, the mansion seems almost like a bash of a Pierce and a Beacon Hill, doesn't it? Kathie and Mike, thanks for finding more pics and information to add to Pauline's. This is a treasure trove to explore! Those interior pictures are to die for. I want to take my time and savor every little detail in them. It's interesting that the house is only 200 miles from Schenevus. I wonder if Dean knows about it. I'll have to ask him just out of curiosity since I know that the Pierce dollhouse was named for President Franklin Pierce. The kit had a brief stint as "The Annabelle" when the dollhouse portion of GL changed hands, but regained her name when GL bought back the dollhouse line.

I am new to dollhouse building (didn't know the history of the house until now) and am actually in the middle of my dry build now of this awesome house. It is really a beauty of a house never the less.

Yay!! Another Pierce owner!! Its nice to meet you Karen. The Pierce was my first dollhouse too although after I ordered the kit, my confidence got a little shaky so I ordered an Orchid to practice on. Turns out that even without the practice, the Pierce still would have been a good choice for a first time builder. I'm so happy for you!! What plans do you have for yours? My own Pierce is pure Victorian but I built another one for someone else as a southern style bed and breakfast (we managed to get 8 bedrooms plus a decent kitchen and living room/dining room out of that one). The possibilities are endless and I'd love to hear the plans you have for yours.

Am I looking at the wrong house? The one in Kathie's link doesn't look like a Pierce to me, more like a Beacon Hill?

That's why I thought it looked like a Pierce/BH bash (with a touch of Rosedale thrown in for good measure). It has the BH mansard roof, but the bays are similar to the Pierce. I haven't started looking thru the pics of the interior yet so there may be more similarities there. It has a typical Second Empire look with odd additions here and there as extra rooms or wings were added. Architects of that era loved bashing real life houses as much as we love bashing dollhouses! I need to stop typing and go look at it a little more. I'd love to see what the original blueprint of the house looked like before all the additions.

I finally stopped being distracted (oh look, a butterfly!) and got to the end of the interior picture gallery and there was a black and white picture of a.............you guessed it.........a Beacon Hill. It's taken directly from the front at a low angle so all the details are visible and it's pure BH. Perhaps someone found it to be good illustration of what a victorian mansion would look like or they also saw the similarities between the house and the BH when they put the gallery together. It's interesting huh.

I do know one thing for certain. I sooooooooo want to own an old safe like that. I would pet it and love it and dust it every day. I love old safes. And post office fronts which are awesomely cool but where would I put one?

I'm going to have to look for more historical pictures of the house because it's random architecture is fascinating. I love history about old houses like this one.