Spring Fling?

This seems like the first time since I have participated (it will be the 5th year building, the 4th entering) that I haven't seen a big discussion on this topic in which everyone is getting all energetic about the fling. I kind of feel bad that I'm not jumping up and down and hollering for the fling to start NOW because I am going crazy with the wait. I just don't have the energy this year. That doesn't mean I am not waiting and ready to jump right in. I am ready. Yesterday. I have never been more serious about participating. I am grateful to Dean and the GL Team each and every year. The Dean Fling :) Also, if it weren't for the forum I wouldn't enjoy it 1/10 as much. You guys rock!

Yes, I too am always excited about the latest Fling, but since I haven't actually entered one, I don't know if my comments hold much water! I have bought quite a few kits (4 that I can picture right now in their partially assembled states), planning to complete it every time, but real life keeps getting in the way! So I understand tempered enthusiasm all too well!

With that said, I am eagerly awaiting the official announcement and view of the latest kit. I won't promise myself that I will get it done, and I won't threaten myself with no more kits until I finish one...I will just enjoy all the Fling Fun Festivities and cheer on all the folks who participate (even if participating is just buying the kit)!!

Tappy

I know we don't want to limit ourselves but I could somehow see a Flingfest having a theme. Perhaps we wouldn't have to build something to reflect the theme but we could just have one. Maybe there could be a small prize for whoever best showcases the theme. People's Choice award still ranks high with me as well.

Please don't take the spring fling out of the hands of Greenleaf! They might just "fling"up their hands and not come up with a wonderful new kit to play with. I think that we should all calm down, sit on our hands and wait patiently. Greenleaf, please hurry!

• Like 3

I'm with Casey. Que sera, sera. I've noticed a tendency toward micromanagement among miniaturists, myself included. After all, what better hobby for us than micromanaging an entire universe? (See the thread on Dollhouse Families :D ) I've been working on letting go. It's a great feeling when it happens. End of sermon.

Anyway, while we're waiting patiently ... yesterday I was rummaging around the amazon.com website for a new book for my Kindle and found Mystery Spring Fling: 10 romantic mystery novels for 99 cents. If you have a Kindle and like romantic mysteries, such a deal! With 21 reviews, it has a 5-star rating.

I broke my personal rule-of-thumb that limits me to books with at least a 4-star rating with 100+ reviews, but I figure at less than 10 cents per book, there are bound to be some good ones in the mix. (I've discovered that anything less than 100 reviews can be packed with the author's friends and relatives, some of whom, I suspect, didn't read the book.)

Playing games with the name or guessing the kit design is like our version of tossing around a beach ball at the beginning of a concert. LOL! I know that Dean doesn't mind our chatter and laughter and general silliness as long as we're not taking it too seriously or going all angry mob and battering down the doors of the warehouse with pitchforks in hand. :farmer: :medieval: :viking: I completely agree that we don't want to tell GL how to run their business coz they're already the best there is at what they do and hopefully no one is taking this too seriously and bombarding them with calls or emails about making changes. Our usual pre-Fling silliness is almost part of the contest itself and it's good fun as long as it stays just fun. <grinning> In other words, it's okay to toss the beach ball but not okay to tell the band which songs to sing.

<searching thru the emoticons> Which one of these should we use as the "Fling On" symbol? I was thinking about that the other day and we have other emoticons that mean certain things to us as kind of a visual shorthand. Of all the emoticons, which ones are the best for Flinging?

• Like 3

Most people pick the pounding with a hammer :lol:

Bashing seems to happen more during Fling season than any other time so that's a good one. :bangin: I kinda like this one too: :kicking: This one describes the way I always get when I start ramping up energy for a new build. :bounce: Or maybe that's after one too many cans of Code Red. hehehehehehehehe

• Like 1

Icon Spring Fling by Selkie (with translation)

:worthy: Oh GL most great one, please give us a SF this year

:yikes: Yikes it's here!

:sad?: What in the world was I thinking?

:dunno: I have no idea what to do

:doh: Oh duh, I remember how to do it now

:freaked: Yikes !!!! The deadline is getting close - ac-c-k

:cry: Boo hoo hoo I'm never gonna get it done in time

:sweat: Sweating it big time - a little help here, please?

:surrender: Oh never mind - Alright then, I quit

:weep: It's too late - it's over - Sad and depressed now

THE END

Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with the GL contest or it's constituents - It has only to do with Selkie and her weirdness and the crazy way her mind works.

• Like 9

Icon Spring Fling by Selkie (with translation)

:worthy: Oh GL most great one, please give us a SF this year

:yikes: Yikes it's here!

:sad?: What in the world was I thinking?

:dunno: I have no idea what to do

:doh: Oh duh, I remember how to do it now

:freaked: Yikes !!!! The deadline is getting close - ac-c-k

:cry: Boo hoo hoo I'm never gonna get it done in time

:sweat: Sweating it big time - a little help here, please?

:surrender: Oh never mind - Alright then, I quit

:weep: It's too late - it's over - Sad and depressed now

THE END

Disclaimer: This has nothing to do with the GL contest or it's constituents - It has only to do with Selkie and her weirdness and the crazy way her mind works.

Selkie, I LOVE it!!!

Yes, I too am always excited about the latest Fling, but since I haven't actually entered one, I don't know if my comments hold much water!

Gosh, Tappy; I never entered the Spring Fling contest, nor do I intend to this year, but that hasn't stopped me from commenting. I am so happy the builders among us are so enthused about this, as I love the Spring Fling, and without them, this wouldn't be possible. - Oh yeah; without Greenleaf it wouldn't be possible either.

• Like 1

I completely agree that we don't want to tell GL how to run their business coz they're already the best there is at what they do and hopefully no one is taking this too seriously and bombarding them with calls or emails about making changes. Our usual pre-Fling silliness is almost part of the contest itself and it's good fun as long as it stays just fun. <grinning> In other words, it's okay to toss the beach ball but not okay to tell the band which songs to sing.

I've been to many concerts where the audience would never tell the band which songs to sing; however, we all have our favorites, and people are always ready when the band takes requests. The performers thrive on the audience's enthusiasm, as their reaction and support add to the total experience and make the performance better.

It's the same thing here, as I don't think any of us would ever tell Greenleaf how to design a kit, run their business, or sponsor a contest. Hopefully they are finding our ideas, suggestions, and silliness, inspiring and encouraging, rather than annoying and bothersome. - But hey GL Band, if I can suggest a song, Carly Simon's Anticipation is still going through my head. Tom Petty's The Waiting would also apply to this contest as the waiting is the hardest part.

• Like 1

How about this one? :boot: Fling!

I like that! I'll Fling anything, boots included! LOL! Selkie, I'm still giggling over your story. That's just too funny, especially the part about "what in the world was I thinking". hehehehehe If I don't get that feeling at least half a dozen times per build, I'm not doing it right.

Time to do the wave!!!!

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooo................ :groupwave::groupwave:

I like that! I'll Fling anything, boots included! LOL! Selkie, I'm still giggling over your story. That's just too funny, especially the part about "what in the world was I thinking". hehehehehe If I don't get that feeling at least half a dozen times per build, I'm not doing it right.

Time to do the wave!!!!

Whoooooooooooooooooooooooo................ :groupwave::groupwave:

:groupwave::groupwave: :groupwave:

Ready for aflinging :wub:

Hugs

• Like 1

How about this one? :boot: Fling!

It would be even better if that boomerang would come back and knock the li'l guy upside the head ... a fling will do that to you! :boomer:

• Like 1

It would be even better if that boomerang would come back and knock the li'l guy upside the head ... a fling will do that to you! :boomer:

Yep, it most certainly will ;) in the best kind of mini ways....

Hugs

Where are all the excited Flingers??? I can't wait to see what Dean has in store for us this year :)

I'm waiting anxiously! time is going to be incredibly short for me this fling, but I'll try to get at least mostly finished! (it would be really convenient if it was a very small SF kit like the Annie's lobster shack one :) )

• Like 1

Where are all the excited Flingers??? I can't wait to see what Dean has in store for us this year :)

Too tired to think about it right now ...