Steampunk My Mini

Deb

Congratulations Lene. That is the way to go with the postage. I will be watching all of the Steampunk ideas you come up with. My son has given me a request to make something

for him for the "Comic-con" convention in 2015. So, I have the time to get inspiration from all of the forum.

Gail :batman:

• Like 1

Lene, I LOVE Mini Mundus kits! Back when I had money I used to order them from DHE. In this picture the upright piano is Mini Mundus; the case clock is HoM and the Mission dining table and chairs is Northeastern Scale Lumber:

gallery_8_305_9917.jpg

• Like 1

Good morning!

Sorry for not putting the URL, wasn't sure if it would go to my private buyer info or if it would even show up - so thanks Kat!

I'm so thankful the seller accepted my offer, our Dirham is even weaker against the Euro and it would have cost me double to buy it from Germany - IF they still made the kit (which they don't).

I'm still walking around with a big smile on my face this morning! :ohyeah:

• Like 2

I'm still walking around with a big smile on my face this morning! :ohyeah:

As well you should! That's an excellent find and one that will lend itself quite nicely to steampunking. It'll be lots of fun to watch!

Deana and Holly, I don't know if Dr. Robertson wants the kitty pipe transit system in a dollhouse, but Frankie and Deano said that I should drop everything and build a life size one for them immediately if not sooner. I don't think they're into steampunk, but they do like traveling thru pipes.

I stumbled across another source of steampunk pieces yesterday. I found a pair of old sunglasses that are too scratched to wear and was going to toss them when the sun sparkled just a bit off the ornate hinges. After taking a closer look, the hinges aren't the only parts that could be salvaged for steampunk. So I tossed them into my steampunk trunk for future use and made a mental note to start watching the dollar stores and Big Lots for cheap sunglasses. (and now I'm going to have that song stuck in my head all day which isn't so bad since I love ZZ Top anyway) <singing along> ~~~~ So the choice is up to you. They come in two classes.....rhinestone shades and cheap sunglasses!~~~~

Deb, I was thinking more in terms of the pipes' original purpose, which was transporting inter departmental messages in the old time office buildings, stores, etc. As a child I was always fascinated to watch thos pneumatic systems. Some bank drive-up windows still use them, but that's about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I woke up this morning with this idea in my head--don't ask me where it came from. A Steampunk tea set. Maybe bell caps for cups, lock washers for saucers, brass wire coils for handles? If it sparks your interest, go for it! I've never steampunked anything, so have no clue why this popped into my head! LOL!

• Like 3

With 7 pages on the topic, why do I feel like no matter what the Spring (or whatever season it ends up being) Fling kit is, it and the HBS Creatin' Contest are going to see a lot of steampunk from this crew?

As I seems to have got a bit of surplus of these roper range inspired looking stoves (as I bougt the last four) and no particular plans for them apart from always liking the look...

Add that I have gears, sprickets and gizmos and with that I think I can allow myself to steampunk one??? :evil:

Hugs

• Like 3

Anna, Dr. Thaddeus and I steampunked a roper range and had a great time with it, It ended up being featured in Gizmoto and it tickled me to see all the comments from people who thought it was a real life size stove. LOL! But the roper range has a lot of potential to be taken apart and turned into all sorts of futuristic victoriana type things so it's good that you got four of them!

Debra, Casey is right and it won't be long before you're steampunking too. Once you try it, you're hooked. I've had such an urge to steampunnk things that last week I bought a bundle of plastic headbands so I can make some hair accessories and fascinators to go with my steampunk jewelry. If that's not bad enough, Bruce has just taken up making cigar box guitars and I'm already telling him that I want a plain one that I can steampunk just for display. I have ideas involving leather and mother of pearl along with the metal components.

See? Once you start, you can't stop. One of the next minis that Dr T and I are going to do is a quarter scale carriage house from the GL village.

One of my favorite places for Steampunk ideas is Pinterest. I went and put in Steampunk furniture and just kept letting it reload. There are all kinds of ideas on there. http://www.pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=Steampunk%20furniture These are real things that people build. Great fun!

I just have to add. I went back and started looking some more and Deb, one of your kitchen stoves is on there, sold on ETSY in 2012!

Look, Lene, this is in Dubai: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/563935184560402950/

Yup, the Al Jaber Gallery is a huge tourist type shop with all kinds of weird things and a few branches in the major malls. They also have HUGE statues of the alien from Terminators (about 8 foot tall) and other weird welded things that only very strange people would buy for a souvenir! There are the obligatory desert souvenirs too, as well as Persian lamps and rugs, glassware from India, wood carvings from Afria etc.

I walked in there one day and they had a stack of boxes with dollhouse dinner sets for $15 (same that retails for about $40 in the USA). Naturally I had to buy them all hehehehehehe. You never know WHAT you'll find at Al Jaber!

• 1 month later...

Hehehehehe Casey...... May the Steam be with you! Now I'm imagining a Star Wars/steampunk bash..... Darth Copper anyone? Did you see Jen's Lady Vador outfit at the Comicon last year? Check out her www.epbot.com blog - it was an awesome modification!

Guess who showed up at my house?

A refugee family of 6 inch Storm Troopers (2 adults and a child) all spiffy in their white armour.

post-28022-0-29105000-1403602899_thumb.j

They mumbled something about wanting "a nice and quiet place to raise their child".

:starwars:

Apart from a lot of hi-tech computer circuitry, I also have no idea what kind of house they want to live in.

Oh boy, this is going to be interesting!

Lené, wow! I just found out, by accident that I can put the little mark over the é on my iPad!

Now about those storm troopers... I thought that they were the bad guys. Now we find that they are a family raising little storm troopers?

I guess that's OK. Just as long as Jaba the Hut doesn't show up on your doorstep, with a lot of little Jabas!

• Like 1

...Now about those storm troopers... I thought that they were the bad guys. Now we find that they are a family raising little storm troopers?

I guess that's OK. Just as long as Jaba the Hut doesn't show up on your doorstep, with a lot of little Jabas!

Remember that Boba Fett had a daddy. Somehow I don't think I needed the image of Jabba and a troop of little Jabbas! I seem to remember that Mrs Hutt wasn't exactly maternal looking!

• Like 1

Since a certain important film maker is busy shooting Episode 7 right here in Abu Dhabi, I guess this little family decided to make a run for it!

I couldn't very well show a genuine refugee family the door :salute: and we all KNOW how sad their situation was.

Besides, the little one was very cute, making *pew pew* sounds and pointing the laser weapon at the pesky mosquitos! :bigwink:

• Like 1