Steampunk My Mini

Deb

I have a half builddone but it is lacking a little something extra (insert new springfling possibilities here) to spark its further build.... Have the little box with sprocket and gears along with a few other bits and pieces...

Hugs

Jackie, you would probably have better luck if you just went to "Clockwork Cottage" http://caseymini.blogspot.com/search/label/Clockwork%20Cottage and looked there. You would still have to sort through to get to the dumb waiter, but you would get to all of those, without having to wait through the entries on totally different subjects.

You got me to go back and look. I really need to go back through the whole blog and re do the labels...one of these. Days.

Jackie, you would probably have better luck if you just went to "Clockwork Cottage" http://caseymini.blogspot.com/search/label/Clockwork%20Cottage and looked there.

That's exactly what I did after reading the entries that came up when I searched your blog for 'dumbwaiter.' What a wonderful house, Casey! I love hearing about Tessie and Zar, too. It must be pretty challenging to build with two little people with such strong opinions, but they have some very creative ideas!

Deb, I went and looked at both of those sites. Great stuff and so many ideas. Thanks for posting them. :D Really need some of that tape!

Terri

Terri, when I think about your work and all that gorgeous wicker, it just sighs "romantic steampunk" to me. One of the coolest things about steampunk is the Victorian creedo that everything should be beautiful even if it's function was purely practical. Therefore, you could steampunk your wicker with jewelry findings and little brass fittings and elaborate embellishments and have some kick butt steampunk! With your mad textile skills and your gorgeous wicker, you could do some amazing hot air balloons (or variations thereof). I reeeeeeeeeeeally would love to see what you come up with if you get bit by the steampunk bug.

Deb, I went and looked at the EPBOT tape thing. She seems to be building up from underneath the tape rather than scribing into it for the most part... More good ideas to try! I have to finish Daisy's cottage fast. As they say.... Full steam ahead! No groaning please. It's not polite!

<subdued snickering behind my hand> I love puns. Casey, I haven't had a chance to look at the tape tuts yet but I've added it to my list so I don't forget. I love working in contrast so I'm wondering what it would be like to combine the two techniques in one item. Hmmmm. <shaking self back awake> I suppose I should read both tuts before I say that so I know for sure if it's even feasible, but it just sounds cool in theory.

Selkie, thanks for posting that link for the trunk. That is tres cool! You've reminded me that somewhere I have a small silver box from Tibet that would lend itself beautifully to that project.

Jackie, I'm so glad you've come to play steampunk with us! Thank you for the links and for that very awesome picture of the time machine! Not to rush you with your Madison or anything, but I can't wait to see what kind of elevator you come up with! Peggi did a working elevator in her Coventry Cottage which is in the building team blogs. It's not steampunk, but she did a tutorial and it would be easy enough to adapt it to steampunk.

Deana, did those most awesomely amazing little steampunk treasures come home to live with you or did you just bring back pics? I recognize the chair as the mini "Old Sparky" chair that Aztec sells but it's been 'punked in the coolest way ever. I have one and it's tempting to do something like that with it, but I still want to create an executioner's roombox some day and the chair and a gallows are holding out for that. Hmm. If you make an electric chair steam powered, would it have a bit more sizzle?

Stacey, a clock roombox sounds like the perfect steampunk project! <peering thru the monitor and trying to look over your shoulder> Have you started it yet? You work so fast that if I turn my back for a second I'm afraid I'll miss something of yours.....and I don't want to miss a thing!

Anna, I know you'll get into steampunk sooner or later. The science of it is just too alluring for you to deny for long. <chanting like a steam engine> You know you want to. You know you want to. You know you want to. hehehehe

Monica!!!! <flinging gears up into the air like confetti> You're here!! Yay! We can't have a discussion of steampunk without you in it Lady! Are you getting inspired yet? Are the gears turning in your head too?

I've been giving much thought to my new steampunk project and I've promised myself that later this week I'll get out my sketch book and start the rough draft. Boring real life things like sprinkler repairmen and filing taxes are an unfortunate priority this week, but I should be ready to play by Thursday. <spinning around in a circle> I can't wait!!

Deb (loving every second of talking about steampunk)

• Like 1

Lene, I just went to ETSY and put Steampunk craft supplies https://www.etsy.com/search/supplies?q=Steampunk+craft&ship_to=US&vintage_rewrite=Steampunk+craft+supplies&original_query=2&orig_facet= that turned up 128 pages of various different kinds.

Hang on a minute. I found one that sells watch parts. This one is in England and ships worldwide. I haven't ordered from here, but it looks pretty good. https://www.etsy.com/shop/Redroosteruk?ref=l2-shopheader-name

• Like 1

I got a paper catalog from Oriental Trading Company yesterday and discovered a ton of steampunk looking bits and pieces there. The prices are about as cheap as it can get although most things are sold in bulk but hey, we can always find a use for four dozen charms or a gross of gears, can't we? That just sounds like a little stash enhancement to me.

Here's the online link for Oriental Trading. It looked like most of their steampunk kind of things are in beads, charms, and scrapbooking but they aren't tagged as steampunk so you'll have to browse around a bit there.

I love OT and since we have a different themed xmas tree every year, I've bought a LOT of stuff from them. It's not heirloom quality by any means, but it's always fun, appropriate for what I want to do with it, and their customer service is excellent so I can recommend them if you've never ordered from them before. And yes, I'm dusting off my login because they have the cuuuuuuuuutest little charms and big bags of assorted gears and.......and.........and..................

• Like 2

One of my boxes with gears 'n stuff....

And now I need to go over to Oriental trading <just twist my arm will you?!?> more inspiratin if nothing else...

Hugs

• Like 2

One of my boxes with gears 'n stuff....

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And now I need to go over to Oriental trading <just twist my arm will you?!?> more inspiratin if nothing else...

Hugs

<snickering> Like you need me to twist your arm. hehehehehehe C'mon and lets go see what we can find. <waiting till Anna goes ahead and stopping to poke thru her gear box> Hey Anna! You have some cool stuff in here!

Oh dear. On the first page of OT's scrapbooking section, I found "antique" label plates which would be awesome Victorian picture frames even without the steampunk. And the price is only $5 for 27 frames. <adding to cart> You can never have too many picture frames.

If you search for "brads" and "gears" on their site, you'll find a lot of the steampunky stuff.

• Like 1

Oh!! I'm really excited now!!!

This morning I told DH about this thread and my steampunk dream house plans for the DuraCraft Linfield ,,,and he said, "I love steampunk! I would really enjoy working on that with you." Wow! He's quite handy in RL, but those are words I never thought I would hear! We proceeded to discuss elevators for the next 20 minutes, and he was late leaving for the office (a sure sign of genuine interest!)

Peggi did a working elevator in her Coventry Cottage which is in the building team blogs. It's not steampunk, but she did a tutorial and it would be easy enough to adapt it to steampunk.

Deb, thanks for mentioning Peggi's tutorial for her Coventry Cottage elevator. I looked at her Gallery pictures, but didn't think to look in the building team blogs. Still learning my way around!

• Like 4

And years ago, I saved that tutorial of Peggi's on pin-hinging. It is a perfect one for me. I finally understood how to do it after many, many times of trying.

Lene, do you have any thirft stores in "dubai? They're often terrific sources for old wrist & pocket watches that are just chock full of steampunk goodies.

Sadly, no. There's just one 2nd hand store, but it sells mostly furniture and ornaments.

There is a monthly fleamarket, but to get through the crush of people is quite a challenge, and then it is mostly people's junk that they're selling.

Quite a depressing town, if you're into antiques/collectibles/treasures :cry:

Thank you, everybody, for all the links and websites - I am going to start hunting around for a suitable "first investment" to get me started!

Debora, how wide is it? And is it always copper? I have never heard of it before. We don't have a snail problem here in the desert.

Sorry, it took me so long to respond to this question. The snail tape is one inch wide. :)

I am soooo tempted with the neat stuff at OT, so tempted I am defintily visiting the local scrapbooking store and see what she might have... She has lot od Tim Holtz items which is always nice ;) then I am going to take out the bits and pieces I stashed away when my SF build went silent on me as it is now starting to speak a little again <while awaiting to see what this year's Fling will be>

Hugs

Oh by the way if any of you know where to find striped silk fabrics suitable for mini Steampunk dressing I would be most grateful, either black silver or black copper would work... But really, most narrow black striped silk would work as long as it isn't pastells (sp?)

Hugs

Anna, you can also find very thin silk ribbon to use on your solid color silks.

Hmmm, now this calls for some trial-and-error-developing things I think, time to see thepillows anyway so will be pondering about that!

Thank you!

Hugs

Oh by the way if any of you know where to find striped silk fabrics suitable for mini Steampunk dressing I would be most grateful,

Anna, if you have a color printer, another option is printing your own fabric!

I have a hard time finding fabric that's to scale, so I now print most of the fabric for my minis. I use a lot of mini wallpaper designs -- the web has tons of free ones. If you have a fabric you really like, but the scale is too big, you can also adjust the size of the print -- just scan the fabric into your computer, save it as a jpeg file and and paste the file into WORD, where you can downsize the scale.

To create striped fabric, I just create a single row (long) WORD table and color the cells, customizing the colors and width of stripes exactly the way I want them. You can also do this using Paint or other design software (I have a lot of experience with WORD tables, so that's easiest for me).

For printable fabric, I use "Blumenthal Lansing Crafter's Images" photo fabric, which is available in 3 kinds of fabric: a very lightweight cotton poplin, a sheer, slightly shimmery Habotai silk and a slightly heavier cotton twill. It comes in both 8 1/2 x 11 sheets and a 100-inch roll. I buy the roll so I can cut and print only as much as fabric I need -- plus, it gives me the option to print a piece of fabric longer than 11 inches (just change the length of the page before printing). I've found some good deals on this at Amazon and eBay, but I've also seen it in craft stores. There are probably other brands that work well too -- this is just what's worked well for me.

I kind of feel like one of the kids in the Life cereal commercial -- "Try it; you'll like it!" There's just something really satisfying about making something with fabric you created yourself!

• Like 1

Anna, are there any thrift shops where you are? An excellent source for small prints and stripes are men's neckties. You can usually ket them for a good price there. Just remember that they are cut on the bias, so if the stripes run diagonally, they are on the straight of the goods.

For printable fabric, I use "Blumenthal Lansing Crafter's Images" photo fabric, which is available in 3 kinds of fabric:

<perking ears up and looking excited> What magic is this? Apparently I've been out of the loop longer than I thought because I've still been using the old iron/muslin/freezer paper method without even being aware that such a wonderful thing existed! Thank you sooooooooooooo much for telling us about that Jackie. It's just been added to the top of my stash enhancement list! What a great time saver and a choice of fabric is even better! Yay!!!!!

• Like 1

I just had a rather jaw dropping moment. I googled "skeleton clocks" because I thought I'd see if I could find an online source for the same type of clock that I bought at Big Lots and have harvested sooooooo many steampunk parts from. This is what I found: skeleton clock

The jaw dropping part was the price! I bought the *exact* same clock at Big Lots for $14.95 each. In fact I bought four of them----one to display and three to tear apart for minis. Seeing the price tag of $274 on the same clock literally made me gasp. Either they're marking up the prices by staggering sums or I got a really, really good deal! <grinning> Even if they are valued that high now, I'm still gonna take them apart for minis except for the one that's on display in the living room. I never wind it because while they may be cool to look at, they can't keep time worth a darn.

Okay, so that wasn't such a good idea for affordable parts. Back to the thrift stores!

• Like 1