Which Greenleaf has the best kitchen?

WyckedWood

I'm curious to hear some opinions about this, by best I mean spacious and nicely designed. Ideally able to fit a cooking area with all appliances present ( not modern) and at least casual dining area without overcrowding. I'm particularly interested in Glencroft vs Willowcrest vs DC MHM, vs Emerson Row vs Harrison. I'm trying to plan a larger Christmas house project and I'm realizing a great kitchen is a must when it comes to my satisfaction with decorating for Christmas :-) thanks for opinions about any of the house kitchens.

I'm not crazy about additions but I've seen some that work nicely on the Beacon. I just never want to add to the footprint. My Crestview kitchen is the worst for such a large house.

On the Beacon I deleted the front window to give more wall space.

I'm wondering if that would be necessary on the Harrison kitchen or if it would even look ok if one of them was left out. It's hard because there's nothing nicer than all that natural light from windows, but then you have to give up space for shelves/appliances, etc because of windows.

I'm curious to hear some opinions about this, by best I mean spacious and nicely designed. Ideally able to fit a cooking area with all appliances present ( not modern) and at least casual dining area without overcrowding. I'm particularly interested in Glencroft vs Willowcrest vs DC MHM, vs Emerson Row vs Harrison. I'm trying to plan a larger Christmas house project and I'm realizing a great kitchen is a must when it comes to my satisfaction with decorating for Christmas :-) thanks for opinions about any of the house kitchens.

It's not in your list, but I've always thought the Magnolia had a nice layout for a big kitchen with casual dining.

Mine does: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=21334

• Like 1

Is the magnolia's kitchen similar to the Westvilles? For anyone who might be familiar with both? The Magnolia is a little too modern looking for me. I'll take a look though, thanks.

I'm interested in hearing about any house's kitchen, the ones I listed are ones I have on hand ( except Harrison).

What about the Lily and McKinley kitchens? The Lily would make a neat Christmas house.

If the house is set in older times, upper cabinets might not be needed. They used pantries for a great deal of their storage so you could craft your room with that assumption. As to the windows, if you were not using upper cabinets, counters could still go under a window, even if you had to shorten the window a touch to accommodate it. I agree that the natural light is most appealing.

Another thought is to move or leave out the dividing wall on some of these kits with too small areas so you could blend the living area into the kitchen area, making it less congested feeling.

My Garfield has a nice large kitchen but it's so long that it doesn't work visually as unit, imo. I was disappointed to discover that in dry fit.

In one of my houses I eliminated all the first floor walls and created an "Open Concept". In this situation, the stairs had to be placed along the left wall so they were not in the middle of the room. So there was a nice space for kitchen, eating and living room.

This also is not on your list, but the Garfield offers a very nice kitchen. There are plenty of windows and wall space. I realize this house is large, however, and after the Beacon Hill, you may be looking for something smaller.

I am not sure about the Glencroft kitchen, but I love that house, and it would be adorable as a Christmas house. I believe that kitchen would work for anything I had in mind, and it appears to be larger than the Beacon Hill's kitchen - although I've seen lovely BH kitchens, including yours.

Thanks, the Garfield is out because of the size of that house ( I had to give my kit away when I moved). I've had a Westville and if the Magnolia is similar, it has too big of a footprint for only two up two down. (only my opinion based on space available) I say that even though that doesn't bother me with the Glencroft. It gets extra charm points.

I like the great room idea, although there again if u delete a wall you give up a wall that can have things placed against it.

I'm not thinking so much traditional cupboards, but hutches, shelves, places to hang hooks, etc.

Tall and slim with a decent kitchen would be ideal.

Glencroft vs Willowcrest

I have built both of these...

the Glencroft gives more space but both have a workable kitchen...some house Ive built really need custom kitchens :badmood:

but both of these also have awesome hidden staircases....my next Willowcrest getting plexiglass wall in the staircase...LOL

• Like 1

Ok that's good to know about the Wilowcrest because that's the one I'm leaning toward. And I don't have a problem leaving out stairs to make more space. Although to contradict myself again, I'd also like to decorate a staircase for Christmas. I need a dollhouse realtor lol

.... I need a dollhouse realtor lol

Or a personal professional woodcrafter to custom design just the perfect kitchen :woohoo:.... and the perfect stairs :thumbup:... and the perfect window for the Christmas tree :victory:... and the perfect fireplace :thumb:.... and ..... well, heck the perfect house for your vision :1st: .

Well, that's what I need so I'm assuming you'd want one too !!! :ohyeah:

• Like 2

Much as I love the Willowcrest, it doesn't have much in the way of kitchen space and the living room/dining area is better for one or the other, but not much of both. The Lily is a contender (and not just because I'd like to see what you do with a Lily which I would but that's beside the point). The kitchen is smallish but with the front/back floorplan of the living room, you do have a nice dining area.

Not mentioned on your list but definitely a house with great kitchen space is the Laurel. The living room is big enough for a living room only but the kitchen is large enough for dining plus it has a very lovely bay window in the kitchen area that's just the right size for a dining table. If you're doing a Christmas house, having the dining table in the front bay window could be really pretty. The Laurel also meets the requirement for a tall and fairly narrow design. The footprint is pretty minimal and you can always add a Primrose or two to expand your space. The Laurel is also veeeeeeeery bashable. Technically, the core architectural element of the Laurel is the same as the Lily minus the front/back rooms.

The Rosedale is another with a small footprint but a lot of space inside. The kitchen has the same stair wall that the Lily kitchen has but you could probably work around that. I did the interior design on the custom Rosedale I built and was pleasantly surprised at how much kitchen stuff fit into the kitchen.....but you'd be sharing dining space with the living room. That's definitely do-able but you'd want to keep the furniture on the smallish side. With either the Laurel or the Rosedale you get the two up/two down/plus attic with the tall and slim criteria.

Deb

The Laurel is a very bright and cheerful house, but depending on how much kitchen furniture you would want to display, it may have too many windows either with or without the primrose. I think the Lilly may actually provide more space, as it has a full wall to work with. The Willowcrest might work, but I think the kitchen may be too crowded once the pieces are placed. The Willow (without the crest) would offer a fuller kitchen, but again, that may be more house than you are looking for.

I still like the Glencroft, as that would give you just enough kitchen, plus a staircase to work with. I hope I am not confusing you, Karin, as you know what you are looking for, and whatever decision you make will be the best. This discussion is fun and getting me to look at other houses, so thanks for allowing us to help you "talk this out."

Or you might consider adding a basement - same footprint but more space. The main floor of the Glencroft could then be the kitchen/bakery and the basement could be the Christmas workshop and the upstairs the bed and bathrooms. The main floor could have a small seating area around the fireplace as could the bedroom.

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for the input I really appreciate you having this conversation with me :-) i hadn't considered the Laurel because the depth of the porch is a little too narrow for me. I had completely forgotten to consider the Rosesale or the Chantilly which have both been in the back of my mind as possible future builds, but hadn't thought of either in terms of Christmas decorating.

I was thinking the same thing Maureen. If I'm understanding correctly, the Glencroft kitchen is larger than the Willowcrest?

I love the Willow, I didn't realize it had a nice kitchen space, Colonial Christmas, farmhouse eclectic would be really neat. And I did see the Glencroft as more of a summer cottage house. The Willowcrest front window just calls for a Christmas tree though.

• Like 1

I love the Willowcrest and I agree that the front window would be perfect for a Christmas tree. The kitchen is small. I have thought of adding a basement by duplicating the first floor and using the larger room as the kitchen and the smaller room for the maids room. Then, I would use the first floor main room as a parlor and the smaller room as a dining room. Maybe, leave out the wall so that the staircase can be seen. I'm just not sure how to finish off the exterior to accommodate the extra floor.:

The Glencroft and Rosedale are two of my favorites.... I wouldn't really call the Glencroft kitchen large but I have crammed a lot in mine though. The Rosedale is just a wonderful house period :) I did the Willow in 1/2 scale and the kitchen was very large.... I haven't done the McKinley, but I did the Victoriana ... it has a very nice size kitchen.

The Willow, for space; Westville also. Lily isn't bad, and my Laurel kitchen isn't too bad either, even with a built-in understair closet. Willowcrest and BH are a bit cramped, and the Magnolia is all windows. I've only built the Rosedale in half-scale, but it seems that it wouldn't be too bad for space despite the stairs.

• Like 1

Great info and lots to think on. That's a really interesting idea on the Willowcrest Paula, I wouldn't dare attempt it, but best of luck if you do! My idea of bashing is to cover up a window opening lol.

Thanks for posting the previous link too.

The McKinley would be the most convenient for displaying. The staircase is a plus, its so visible in the house if you were to wrap it with garland.