Here comes Peter Cottontail...

heidiiiii

Easter Sunday (and Passover) will be here before you know it. My girls are adults so I don't have to do baskets anymore but we will have a beautiful dinner and a drive if the weather is favorable

Do you have a special dish you always make? I love to make sauce and lasagna.

Do you have special plans for the holiday? Over the river and through the woods?

Whoa! A drive! I haven't done one of those on a holiday in years. Remember, everything would be closed so you really had no place to go---so you'd just drive. Check out new housing developments, drive down the "Rich" people's streets, drive by your old school or first love's house.......or just drive.

• Like 3

My family used to take nice drives on Easter after dinner, but now that my parents are in their 90s that stopped as my mother's vision is poor. As for food, that cut down over the years, but we still have plenty, and now I wonder how we had room for everything in the past.

As most Italians I knew growing up, we always had pasta before a main course, and our holiday menu was traditionally like this: on Thanksgiving it would be Manicotti and Turkey, Christmas would be Ravioli and Roast Beef, and on New Year's Day and Easter it would be Lasagna and Ham. Also on Christmas Eve and Good Friday we would always have fish.

I seem to be obsessed with getting a variety of different holiday and ethnic foods for my dollhouse family, and I think my upbringing has something to do with that.

• Like 1

We will be spending Easter weekend camping at Three Rivers State Park in Sneads, FL, and paddling and camping with friends. Back when kids were home we always had a ham. I might fix a turkey "ham" to take and serve if there's a potluck.

• Like 2

My mother was Italian and Easter was home made sauce, meatballs, sauseege and all was put in a massive lasagna. I still do that.

I think we stopped the drives because of price of gas. We decided that we are just going to take a drive like the old days.

• Like 1

YES!! ^^ I like seeing some ZOO!

We usually do a ham but the pork does a number on my liver so we decided once a year (Christmas) is good enough. I eat turkey bacon now. I used to make fun of the stuff!

. I eat turkey bacon now. I used to make fun of the stuff!

<chuckling> Bruce used to complain until I explained that turkey bacon is better than no bacon at all and he could see the logic in that. It may not make him happy, but he doesn't turn down turkey bacon anymore.

Deb

• Like 1

Due to the strict diet DH & I are on for our cholesterol and blood pressure, it's turkey bacon or no bacon; fortunately turkey bacon has been vasstly improved as more people are having to give up pig bacon. We have been eating turkey breakfast sausage ever since we were able to find it in the stores, and the Spanish Fort Publix has Jenny-O hot turkey breakfast sausage! I haven't tried making sausage gravy with it, but it makes wonderful sausage biscuits with the Bixquik "Heart Smart" biscuits. The turkey ham is nice.

• Like 1

Bruce says we eat so much turkey that he expects to start saying "Gobble, gobble" soon but he hasn't had another heart attack since we changed the diet so he doesn't really complain. It's more nostalgia for the days when he could eat anything. Ah youth........

Speaking of Bruce and youth and Easter, I have a funny story to share with you guys about the Easter Bruce had when he was six. His mother tells the story one way: She bought him a huge, 4 foot tall stuffed Easter Bunny and to surprise him, she snuck into his bedroom and set it on the foot of his bed so it would be the first thing he saw when he woke up on Easter morning. Bruce tells the story a little differently when he talks about needing therapy after waking up one morning and seeing a giant rabbit standing at the foot of the bed ready to pounce on him. hehehehehehehehe He still has "Night of the Lepus" flashbacks whenever he sees a stuffed bunny.

Deb

• Like 2

Since DH and I became guardians to our youngest gk, 8 and 10 years old, I guess we will do the whole Easter egg hunting thing. Since they are into building things, they may get the bucket and shovels instead of baskets. Between DH and I they have the bug to use hammers and screwdrivers etc. Dinner will probably be the usual ham, potatoe salad, green beans, or baked beans, etc.

• Like 1

I am still in search of the perfect deviled egg recipe..as per usual. We have been eating turkey smoked sausage and I make a mean home made turkey burger.

Peggi, I am a bit jealous. I miss the kiddos chasing to find the Easter eggs. I am not rushing the grandkids but I would love to have some one day.

Oh Heidi, just in January I became a great grandmother to a beautiful little boy. DGD named him after DH and my Daddy, Riley James. Talking of Easter, last weekend young Riley came to visit and we let him sleep in oversized basket so of course before he went home we placed plastic easter eggs in with him . if I can figure out how to upload a pic I will share.

• Like 1

Aw-w-w-w-w he's a sweetie. Give him a snuggle for me. I get high on little baby's fuzzy heads in my neck while I'm snuggling them. sigh ...

• Like 1

It was while we were still living in Havana, we got a call from DS#1 that his eldest daughter had given birth to a baby boy and that we were greatgrandparents; DH said, "I guess that means we can call you Gramps" and then he gave me a funny look and said our son hung up on him. Since then, from time to time, DS has mentioned his daughter & her little one, and we have invited all of them to come visit (she's in Jacksonville, FL, and it's a whole lot easier for them to make the 400+ mile drive than for us 70-somethings); but we've never had a phone call or note from the daughter her whole life.

I do remember you mentioning the DGD before and the lack of communication. BTW how is DS#3 doing? Do I remember correctly that he stayed in FL when you moved?

DS#3 doesn't get his food boxes in June or December, so he comes and stays with us those months, but his house and all his friends are in Tallahassee, and all the local police know who he is and his diagnosis. In July DH's mom celebrates her 90th birthday, so we'll take the kid & the camper with us and go help her celebrate. So far DS#2 & his wife are coming; don't know about #1, but I emailed him about it.

• Like 1