2014 Bishop and 3 Blind Mice Chicago Show

I found some interesting items at my favorite closed shop. I posted some pics in my gallery.

I think I will make one more trip and clean her out of her kits. She has two that I want for myself -- The Stratford Inn (from the Bob Newhart Show) and The Old Granville House (from It's a Wonderful Life). I love old, out of production kits.

• Like 2

I found some interesting items at my favorite closed shop. I posted some pics in my gallery. I think I will make one more trip and clean her out of her kits. ..... I love old, out of production kits.

Oh, Greg ... keep your eye out for an affordable Golden Gate View please. I haven't ventured out to the wood shop to try cutting one yet cuz it's still too cold around here. I'd be interested if you found one.

Oh, Greg ... keep your eye out for an affordable Golden Gate View please. I haven't ventured out to the wood shop to try cutting one yet cuz it's still too cold around here. I'd be interested if you found one.

It is on my list. The hunt is half the fun. I do know for a fact that she has no GGV kits. Some of these are SOOOOOO cool, though. I have another shop whose inventory I am reviewing, but they got rid of most of their kits. I will keep looking.

It is on my list. The hunt is half the fun. .... Some of these are SOOOOOO cool, though. I have another shop whose inventory I am reviewing, but they got rid of most of their kits. I will keep looking.

On Ebay I saw this adorable little kit - "Betty's Wooden Miniatures Storybook Playhouse #560 Dollhouse Kit ". Never heard of the line before but apparently there were more by these same folks. Have you found any of these in your travels? It says laser cut but is from an older time period so that seemed unusual since laser cutting is typically thought of as a newer thing. There is another on there right now from the same company being sold by the same person. I asked them about it but they didn't seem to know much except that they had these in their stash.

• Like 1

On Ebay I saw this adorable little kit - "Betty's Wooden Miniatures Storybook Playhouse #560 Dollhouse Kit ". Never heard of the line before but apparently there were more by these same folks. Have you found any of these in your travels? It says laser cut but is from an older time period so that seemed unusual since laser cutting is typically thought of as a newer thing.

Today's history lesson that has an unfortunate sad ending:

Betty's Wooden Miniatures is a product out of Chicago. The parent company, Smith Wood Products, was founded in 1956 by Bernard "Red" Smith. Betty was his wife. They specialized in wood trophies and plaques and did laser engraving. The company went out of business and was auctioned off in 2011. I see them on eBay occasionally, but have never run across them out "in the wild."

The kits seem kind of cute and they do have some detail to them. I am not sure how old they are, but I wish Red and Betty knew that they were ahead of their time with laser cut kits. They could have made a fortune with the right marketing.

Thanks for filling in the background info Greg. I appreciate it. The one with the curved roof is on my list. It looks like a Dr. Seuss house. Think Horton hears a Who. By the measurements listed it would be a backyard playroom for the dh family. I thought it might look interesting as a top on a tower - magical style.

I Love that wolf knocker! I was at the Bishop show on Sunday with my daughters. I missed everyone here :( I took a lot of pictures and only added them to pintrest http://www.pinterest.com/minisontheedge/2014-international-chicago-tom-bishop-miniature-sh/ I still haven't uploaded pictures of what I bought though. I'll do that in the gallery here since it's not as many pictures

Oooh,I just love works by Spencer's Nook,and being that Jo and Andy are residents of Alabama makes me even prouder! I would love to meet them some day...

• Like 1

Thank you Kat and Momma Holly :) I cleaned my work area so I could take pictures of my kits I bought. I bought a 144th scale kit!! Yikes! I also bought a 1/4th scale kit too. I can't wait to start them

Tracy, I swear I saw your doppelganger today in the food court at the mall in Columbia, Missouri. I almost called out to her before reality kicked in! :D

• Like 1

Thank you Kat and Momma Holly :) I cleaned my work area so I could take pictures of my kits I bought. I bought a 144th scale kit!! Yikes! I also bought a 1/4th scale kit too. I can't wait to start them

After the 1:144 scratch build you did for the CDHM contest I would think a kit would be child's play for you! (favorite daughter!):D

• Like 1

LOL Kathie, that is funny! I get told I look like someone else a lot. In highschool a girl and I actually did look so similar and bought identical outfits before we even met! Was so weird. When people asked if we were sisters, after a while we just started saying yes cause people thought we were lying anyway :p

Holly, your faith in my abilities are stronger than mine lol but, after I did the house a few months back in Paperclay (1/144th scale) I decided to go bigger. Not sure if Ill do as good, but I'm gonna try! :D