Isn't it great when you find something you forgot about ?

Stacey6163

I was looking in my fabric stash for doll material and came across a yard sale buy from a couple years ago that I had forgotten about. It is an old Morton salt 25 lb. bag with a tag on the front reading "silk and cotton scraps for quilt 1957" some of them are small pieces but will be perfect for mini projects. I just ordered a book on 1/12 scale costumes and clothing so they will come in handy. Now to go back and find what I was looking for. :D

• Like 4

With the mess my workrooms are in, this is a daily occurrence - um-m-m, it might also have to do with the fact I'm old and lots of things look new again cuz I'm getting the "forgetfuls".

Congrats on the great score though. Sounds cool.

• Like 3

I had quite a bit of that while looking for items for my little kitchen vignette! :) On the other hand, I was also looking for something in particular and can't figure out where I would have stashed it! :/ I also decided that I need to find a better way to pack and store my furniture and accessories that need to be stored.....

• Like 1

Yesterday I bought a dowel at HL for a chair I want to make, but it was the wrong size so I went to the garage to put it in my wood trim stash and found a dowel already there that was the exact size I needed :-)

• Like 4

My problem is, when I find something that I had forgotten about, I get excited over the find and forget what I was looking for in the first place.... I know I went in the workroom to get something.... Now, what was it?

• Like 6

I am still finding stuff I forgot I had because I moved 2 years ago and probably had my mini stuff packed up a year before that so its like Christmas every time I open another box! LOL Casey I know what you mean about looking for one thing and forgetting what you came for. ha ha ha

• Like 2

Casey & Roxy, aren't y'all too young to do that? I'm SO looking forward to getting moved into the workshop and all unpacked! God only knows what all I have stashed away that I've forgotten about over the years! One thing DH & I are mystified by is whatever happened to the 1:18 garage mechanic's shop kit we got him years ago that I was going to build for his car collection.

• Like 2

Great subject; every holiday when I have to clear the table off, things go everywhere.( Who knows where)Then things come out again, but not everything. Did that make sense?

Well, this last "clean-up" I found 1" scale items that I had gotten at an estate sale way back in the 90's. I am continuing to be surprised at my "garage" finds

after DH has "cleaned up a bit"........lol. Some day.....I will take everything out of the front closet, garage and every nook and crannie......some day.

:bear:

• Like 1

I had large tubs for stuff, but still had trouble keeping track of all the little stuff. So I bought the Trofast cabinets from Ikea and I got all the shallow drawers. Now I just have to poke through two layers maximum to check quickly for things. I have some deeper drawers to put stuff for a particular house all in one spot.

Bonus: yesterday I had to move stuff out of the 2nd floor bathroom (that I'm using for storage) to access the a/c unit in the ceiling panels and realized I have a full 5 deep drawer trolley unit still full of minis that I had TOTALLY forgotten about!

And I've just been hoarding for one year..... can't wait to dig through that and see what treasures await hehehehehe :sleazy:

oh yes! I saw some of those on the IKEA site just the other day - going to my daughter's this weekend so I might just have to tell her our shopping is going to have to include a trip to IKEA! :)

Holly- years ago I bought a CD for my hubby for Christmas and stashed it on a storage shelf amongst my cake decorating stuff. Time came to do gift wrapping and.....yup. No CD. Looked for that sucker for several years! Never found it- even when we moved! To this day I am beginning to believe that I totally imagined that I bought it! LOL

• Like 1

When our local Walmart was getting rid of it's fabric department my mom bought me one of their cutting tables for my craft room. I was busy stocking up on fabric and trims because they were so cheap. The table has all sorts of storage underneath and holds a lot of stuff, I am finding things I didn't even know I had under that table. Pretty cool though, kind of like my own personal yard sale. :D

I've run across things while looking for something else and thought to myself, "Well, good thing I wasn't looking for this because I would never have looked *here* for it!" :lol:

Thanks for my good laugh for the day :bigwink:

• Like 1

I have been looking through the whole house for my one doll I kept from childhood. I found the bag of her clothes, most of which I made, but haven't found her yet. But in the meantime I came across a box stashed on a shelf. I opened it and found some small log cabins I had made years ago and never did anything with! They are made out of dowels and I had bought patterns and instruction with hopes of selling them - big scam! Company wouldn't buy them back, so I just put them away and forgot about them. About 4 days after finding that box, I was at a Home and Garden Show when a lady came to my booth and asked if I had made any log cabins. At the end of the month they are putting on a craft and miniature show and someone told her I made miniatures. I could almost hear the theme song from Twilight Zone! That box has been on the top shelf of that cupboard since we moved into this house 14 years ago. No one has ever come to my booth before to invite me to a miniature show or asked if I had made any log cabins!!

Go figure!!

• Like 2

Stacie, this is great news. It sounds like you got a bargain all over again. So are you going to make costumes for your little mice friends?

My greatest find wasn't something I forgot about, but rather Maggie, Aggie, and Peggy, my childhood mouse friends I thought were long gone. They were Topo Gigo-like felt mice that got put away with our Christmas decorations many years ago.

In the not so distant past, I was breaking down the giant box of Christmas decorations in our basement, as I was getting rid of a lot of items and consolidating. Near the bottom of the box, I was delightfully surprised when I pulled out Aggie first, then Peggy, then finally Maggie. They looked just as surprised to see me as I was to see them.

I cleaned them up, aired them out, and kept them close by ever since so that I can keep an eye on them. I don't know if I can download their picture here, but you can see them on my gallery. They are the cover picture (or avatar) for my album titled, Garfield Project.

• Like 2

I have been looking through the whole house for my one doll I kept from childhood. I found the bag of her clothes, most of which I made, but haven't found her yet. But in the meantime I came across a box stashed on a shelf. I opened it and found some small log cabins I had made years ago and never did anything with! They are made out of dowels and I had bought patterns and instruction with hopes of selling them - big scam! Company wouldn't buy them back, so I just put them away and forgot about them. About 4 days after finding that box, I was at a Home and Garden Show when a lady came to my booth and asked if I had made any log cabins. At the end of the month they are putting on a craft and miniature show and someone told her I made miniatures. I could almost hear the theme song from Twilight Zone! That box has been on the top shelf of that cupboard since we moved into this house 14 years ago. No one has ever come to my booth before to invite me to a miniature show or asked if I had made any log cabins!!

Go figure!!

Well, I always loved the Twighlight Zone myself. Life is mysterious, and sometimes things work out that way. I hope your doll shows up soon and that you have another happy ending to share.

• Like 1

I'm convinced there's an extra dimension in work shops/sewing rooms where bits and bobs go when you are looking for them. They come out when you go get another one, make do, or improvise. It never fails.

The feeling of Christmas always hits me when I look through my dollhouses. Sometimes I don't look in them for a while and when I do, I'm surprised to remember something I had forgotten I had. Its the best inside drawers and mini cabinets. You never know what you'll find all over again.

• Like 1