New Here! Single Dad Of Autistic Girl.

Hi Jessie & Jason, and :welcome: to the forum. I have visions of your basement slowly filling with worktables, shelves of supplies, sawdust and great big smiles. Do take pictures when you begin. As you can see from the posts and galleries here, we do love our eye candy. :D

Welcome! I think it's amazing that you and your daughter build miniatures to connect. My husband is also a woodworker/contractor and once we get our garage cleared out we're going to turn it into a miniatures shop so we can build custom houses. Keep up the great work!

Hi Jason - welcome to you and Jessie. I'm relatively new myself and can tell you that you will find a lot of encouragement and excellent advice here! I also happen to have an 18 year old daughter who has autism... but alas, she has no interest in miniatures (we do share a love of costuming and cosplay, though). Very cool that dollhouses offer a way for the two of you to connect..

Here's something you might want to try -- I recently discovered foamcore (poster-size sheets of styrofoam sandwiched between sheets of paper that you peel off) as a building medium. It's available at the Dollar Store, so the price is right! It's very easy to cut and shape with sandpaper..Great for furniture (I'm making a fridge -- http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/search/label/1%20inch%20scale%20refrigerator) and some folks have even made houses with it (http://www.letsbuildadollhouse.com/lbdhstyro.htm).

Edited by JackieS
  • Like 1

If you have a source of 1/4" stripwood you can also use heavy cardboard or matboard and stick-build room by room. An excelent book that illustrates this technique is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Building-Miniature-Houses-Furniture-Dorie/dp/0668041846

Welcome! I actually have Asperger's and am familiar with autism and the austism spectrum. I love the detailing of miniatures and have an extensive collection of Barbie, Bratz, Monster High, and musical porcelain Goebel dolls that were sold on QVC during the late 80's to mid 90's. I also have a large collection of music boxes. You can see some of the porcelain dolls in my Gallery!

Edited by yorkie_owner_85
  • Like 2

My grandson has Autism, he's only 5, I build - he plays. Some times he breaks, I fix .... But that's ok, he's young and learning.

Hearing of older children and adults with autism/aspergers happy always gives me a picture of a hopeful future.

My grandson will sit and play for hours, and seeing the world in his mind come out playing in a house is a wonderful thing

Welcome!

• Like 3

We had a hiking friend with asperger's who was also a professor; he wrote a wonderful book about it that was published shortly before his death. We paddle with another of our asperger friends and his wife. Autism is an interesting spectrum of different abilities.

• Like 2

Hi Jason - welcome to you and Jessie. I'm relatively new myself and can tell you that you will find a lot of encouragement and excellent advice here! I also happen to have an 18 year old daughter who has autism... but alas, she has no interest in miniatures (we do share a love of costuming and cosplay, though). Very cool that dollhouses offer a way for the two of you to connect..

Here's something you might want to try -- I recently discovered foamcore (poster-size sheets of styrofoam sandwiched between sheets of paper that you peel off) as a building medium. It's available at the Dollar Store, so the price is right! It's very easy to cut and shape with sandpaper..Great for furniture (I'm making a fridge -- http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/search/label/1%20inch%20scale%20refrigerator) and some folks have even made houses with it (http://www.letsbuildadollhouse.com/lbdhstyro.htm).

Thank you :) Cosplay is awesome, that's really cool that you and your daughter have that to share. I dont do any cosplay myself...but I do like looking (I'm a red blooded guy after all LOL) Foamcore is awesome stuff....if I could just cut it straight! I always end up with an unwanted bevel.

Welcome! I actually have Asperger's and am familiar with autism and the austism spectrum. I love the detailing of miniatures and have an extensive collection of Barbie, Bratz, Monster High, and musical porcelain Goebel dolls that were sold on QVC during the late 80's to mid 90's. I also have a large collection of music boxes. You can see some of the porcelain dolls in my Gallery!

I love seeing people with challenges who refuse to let them stand in their way....good on you my friend :)

My grandson has Autism, he's only 5, I build - he plays. Some times he breaks, I fix .... But that's ok, he's young and learning.

Hearing of older children and adults with autism/aspergers happy always gives me a picture of a hopeful future.

My grandson will sit and play for hours, and seeing the world in his mind come out playing in a house is a wonderful thing

Welcome!

We had a hiking friend with asperger's who was also a professor; he wrote a wonderful book about it that was published shortly before his death. We paddle with another of our asperger friends and his wife. Autism is an interesting spectrum of different abilities.

It is definitely an interesting spectrum.

Autism is only a part of my daughter's "diagnosis" so to speak.....it is her "legal diagnosis". She is also developmentally delayed, which they also refer to as intellectually challenged or mild retardation. She has Cerebral Palsy as well as a seizure disorder. When she was born, she was stuck in the birth canal which resulted a lack of oxygen....she had an Apgar score of zero.....she was born dead....so she is my miracle baby :) However, she is always happy and has an amazing imagination.....they say she has a mentality of somewhere between 3-6 years old.....but like I said, she is always happy....and really who can want anything but happiness for their kid right?

I'm gonna see if I can figure out how to post a video here.....you can get a better idea of her personality.....she's awesome!!!

• Like 2

So sweet-thank you for sharing those moments with us!You have a wonderful attitude,Jason-she's a happy soul,which as you say is all we parents want for our children! God bless you both! :)

• 1 month later...

You guys look like you enjoy each other so much!

As a SLP with lots of years, have you ever thought about having a specific house that can be quickly set up, using cardboard, etc, to act out sticky social situations? All those dang unwritten rules! Instead of Social Stories, you could have a Social House!

Jason and Jessie,

I haven't seen the photos even. Thank you for posting them! An amazing Father - daughter team if ever there was one :)

I had an idea...3-6 years old. Beautiful age. Jessie, do you like princesses? One of my favorite mini activities is making stone out of egg cartons. It makes perfect stonework for any mini project and style. You could find a house on craigslist, built, 10-20, and cover it in stone, seal it, paint it, seal it again and have a great castle, cheap. Stir sticks/skinny sticks/popsicle sticks with round ends cut off...All cheap cheap and perfect wood floors if you don't want stone. A perfect project if you like princesses.

Jason, I swear, egg crate stone is wicked awesome and very child friendly. It can even be torn instead of cut. And think about building a house all by yourself. That's ok too. I have an almost 6 year old and the builds I do alone, I make up stories and tell her stories about. She loves it. Jessie might too.

Have a great weekend all!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...