Spring Fling 2014

When do you all find out if/when?

It used to always be announced on the 1st day of Spring in March and ended on Memorial Day, thus the Spring Fling. It has varied lately and last year it wasn't due until the end of October - kinda dragging out until it's sort of a Summer/Fall Fling. We usually have hints from the administration in Feb or so but this year there has been nothing at all.

I have asked specifically of the admins and they have had no hints or news. One earlier post had the dreaded "if" word in it which scared us all into thinking there might not be one this year. I have pleaded with them to tell us either way so we can look forward to it or move on to some other project but - so far - nothing - no word.

I'm pretty well decided I'm jumping ship and using my 40% off coupon that expires tomorrow and will do the HBS contest instead. That is, unless we hear something from GL by tomorrow. I would prefer to do GL but I want to do something and I need to make a decision and get moving on something.

• Like 2

It's way too late for this year but I think it would be really fun if there was some sort of competition to create the coming year's fling. Of course there would probably have to be some restrictions, like within certain dimensions and "x" amount of windows, etc. but I think that would be almost as fun as the fling itself.

• Like 1

I'm with Stacey, Selkie. If you wait too long for the GL Spring Fling, you risk getting a late start on the HBS contest. Just be sure to share the project with us, if the rules allow you to.

I am hoping the GL team is seriously considering something, and that is the reason for the delay. If they can't launch something in time, I am also hoping they will take one of our ideas and go with a previous kit or general theme. Most of all, I am hoping they are reading these posts. If so, Greenleaf staff, the reason we are so impatient is because we love all of you and this site way too much.

Please don't keep us guessing.

:bounce8:

I've got a question for y'all, how long are the spring flings usually? this is my first year and I'd really like to compete (assuming there is a SF this year) but I'll be out of town from late May to early July and am moving just after that so my Mini time will be short.

Sam, sually the contest is announced the first day of spring, in March, and the deadline is Memorial Day (end of May). Last year it was a late start and the deadline wasn't until the Fall, more of a summer fling. If there isn't a spring fling I don't see why y'all couldn't get together and do a group build; there wouldn't be prizes, but the reward would be all the eye candy for the rest of us to ooh & ahh over.

Sam, sually the contest is announced the first day of spring, in March, and the deadline is Memorial Day (end of May). Last year it was a late start and the deadline wasn't until the Fall, more of a summer fling. If there isn't a spring fling I don't see why y'all couldn't get together and do a group build; there wouldn't be prizes, but the reward would be all the eye candy for the rest of us to ooh & ahh over.

In a way, we're already doing this ... there are several doll house models that are being built by more than one member, and we're happily following along. I don't think it's a matter of making a conscious effort to get together. It just happens. :)

Personally, I don't see expending this much energy on something we have no control over. There will be a Fling or there won't. It's not up to us. Que sera, sera.

• Like 2

In a way, we're already doing this ... there are several doll house models that are being built by more than one member, and we're happily following along. I don't think it's a matter of making a conscious effort to get together. It just happens. :)

Personally, I don't see expending this much energy on something we have no control over. There will be a Fling or there won't. It's not up to us. Que sera, sera.

This is true; however, we would like to know if there is going to be a Spring Fling or not. The fact it is not up to us is all the more reason we need to ask.

For me, knowing if it was happening was important to my very limited time to build and my $$ budget for minis. I prefer GL houses and would absolutely prefer to support the company that I like best.

With the HBS 40% off coupon expiring today, I was hoping just to know whether or not they were having it even if it was going to be later in the year. Knowing would have helped me to be able to plan time and money accordingly.

The pressure of a contest forces me into building and because it is therapeutic for me, I like to set myself up for it. It's way easier to get sidetracked with all the "stuff" of life and never get around to doing it. (hence many UFO's around here). I thought I'd do the HBS one out of sheer desperation just to be in a contest and force the accountability and all that good stuff.

In thinking it through during the night, I've given up on that idea now b'cuz I thought about how much I truly don't care for mdf.

Oh well, so much for that idea.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I took a minute and emailed Greenleaf and received the following reply from Lisa:

"I will know very soon, sorry for the delay."

So maybe no Spring Fling this year but perhaps something even better is on the way???

Well I took a minute and emailed Greenleaf and received the following reply from Lisa:

"I will know very soon, sorry for the delay."

So maybe no Spring Fling this year but perhaps something even better is on the way???

If you look under the topic 'Spring Fling?', you will find where Stacey called Greenleaf and was given a positive answer. I'm thinking there's hope :)

• Like 1

I think I am just going to finish my SF from 2011. I've found some nice accessories lately on Ebay and am hoping to inspired myself to actually DO something instead of just look at "stuff". I was really invested in that build and had some things that upset my time schedule so I couldn't finish it. Looking for a kick in the seat of the pants from somewhere !!

Maybe we could do a "finish your spring flings" fling and finish the ones we have started. My two are finished (some of the very few kits I have that are finished) but, I still have the quarter scale fling from 2012.

Selkie, I have my "Love Shack" sitting on the shelf by the studio door where I can see it every time I go in the room in hopes of getting motivated to finish it. It's the 2012 SF that I started building just to play along rather than enter the contest. The bottom fell out of my health before I could finish it so it's sooooooooo close that it almost looks complete the way it is but it's not. I like the idea of us encouraging each other to finish those "almost there" Flings in a relaxed sort of way.......just building and talking like an old fashioned quilting bee.

I am getting a bit confused, as there seems to be two Spring Fling posts (Spring Fling 2014 started by me under Current Mini Events and Spring Fling started by Deb from Olde Cape Cod under Chit Chat). According to the other post started by Deb, it sounds like there will be a fling this year.

To avoid confusion, maybe we should agree to post all new information about the Spring Fling under the Spring Fling post in the Chit Chat section so that nobody will miss any news about it.