I need a wealthy benefactor so I can move into a larger space. :lol:

I've been known to bemoan the fact that there are far fewer sugar daddies around since Womens' Lib became popular in the 60s. They all want to go dutch! :D

• Like 1

Thank you, thank you!! :D

Deb - yes, it's 1:12 scale...and yes, it's huge. The base is 34.5" wide by 16" deep. I cut off about 4" from bottom of the lighthouse tower but added that back into the height with the base--roughly 43" overall. :yes: One bedroom has 5 finished builds, so it's in there right now. I need a wealthy benefactor so I can move into a larger space. :lol:

Wow, that's some serious height even with a top chop. The lighthouse is surprisingly bigger in real life than in looks in pictures. (I built one for a friend who uses it for a bookcase) With that incredible base you put on it, it looks positively regal and lofty......just the way a lighthouse is supposed to look.

If a wealthy benefactor is what you need to keep building, I'll go help you look for one!!!!!

Deb

• Like 4

Thanks, everyone!!! :flowers:

Kathie - I so agree!!! :glare:

Deb - I look forward to the resumes and headshots. :lol: Yes, the original HBS kit was already 24" wide before I took the Sawzall to it and cleaved it in half to put in the tower. :O

• Like 1

Awesome Brad! Congratulations!

I meant Brae, sorry for the auto correct on this tablet...lol

:lol: There are several gaming forums where my blog tutorials have been linked, and they all swear I'm a dude!

Thanks, everyone!! :D

Oh my goodness! I just had a chance to look at all the pics of the lighthouse. Absolutely gorgeous! I noticed the kitchen in my stone house is similar to your lighthouse bedroom, I promise I did not copy from you. However, your window trim is much better than mine. Congratulations, more $ to spend on more neat stuff.

• Like 1

I just received an email from HBS announcing your winning second place. Here is the narrative from them:

Walnut Bay Light is so complete in every detail - down to the historically plausible narrative that accompanies and describes it - it is surprising to learn it doesn't replicate an actual structure. On her blog, otterine.com, Brae details the entire process of combining our Charming Cottage and Greenleaf's Lighthouse kits to create her winning entry, which was inspired by the nearby Chicago Harbor Light. She is especially proud of the spiral staircase, which rises 16.25" and is scratch built from components that include plastic sheet, beads, spindles, jewelry findings and brass wire - along with precision measuring!

Starting in 2009 when she renovated her childhood dollhouse to be enjoyed by a new generation, Brae met the enthusiastic and helpful online miniatures community and became thoroughly addicted to the hobby. Although this is her first Creatin' Contest entry, she has completed at least six other structures and has more in progress, all photographed and described with detailed how-to's on her award-winning blog.

Congratulations Brae on winning the 20th Annual Creatin' Contest Second Place Prize of a $300 Gift Certificate from HBS/miniatures.com! Great job!

• Like 2

Congratulations, Brae! I watched your build, step by step, once again in awe of your creativity! Kathie said it best... "elegance in architecture and execution." Absolutely correct.