Which miniature items best reflect your interests or personality?

rackey

Tomorrow (February 7, 2014) will mark 50 years that the Beatles landed in America. As a fan, I have several miniature Beatles albums and paraphernalia in my dollhouse. I believe our dollhouses and miniature collections are a reflection of our inner souls and personalities, which explains why Amy, one of the little girls who lives in my dollhouse, inherited my interest in the Beatles music and a nice collection of artifacts. It also explains why Mickey Mouse (the first love of my life) also made his way into my little home.

So I am asking, besides our dollhouses and minature furniture, which personalized miniature items do you have that best reflect your interests or personality; or what is the one thing in your miniature collection you just had to have?

• Like 1

EXCELLENT question, Maureen. I don't think I have ever seen it here and it's very interesting.

I have a few dozen tiny dolls for 1" & 1/2" scale. I MUST build a house sometime for my dolls and mini bears and other kids toys. Maybe a toy shop or doll hospital even.

Also, I love to collect mini's that look like special RL items I have. I will never forget the purchase of my little 1/2" scale breakfast set (dropleaf table and 2 chairs) It is identical to one my Grandparents had (it's with Mom now) and I found one for myself just like it in a delightful coincidence. It was my husbands first mini show. He stood there, stunned, as I said I would take it. At $75 it was more expensive tham the price my Grandparents paid with 4 chairs, for a brand new set about 1930, and the set I later bought at an antique store, put together! I have never regretted my decision. It is sitting in a dry fit half scale Tennyson right now. I am building the entire house around it.

• Like 1

Morgan said:

At $75 it was more expensive tham the price my Grandparents paid with 4 chairs, for a brand new set about 1930, and the set I later bought at an antique store, put together! I have never regretted my decision. It is sitting in a dry fit half scale Tennyson right now. I am building the entire house around it.

I've often said you can buy any real life item in doll house scale for only twice the price of the real one. :D

I have a number of special pieces in my houses, but two of my favorites arehttp://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/uploads/gallery_818_1303_3745.jpg (in a shadow box) and a ceramic trunk bought in the Czech Republic that is going into the Pierce/Bohemian Inn.

• Like 1

Well of course the dolls who emerge from the clay probably all have ME in them, somewhere. I have to put things on shelves, tabletops and in drawers, I have to have bookshelves and books, I try to make my mini furniture comfy for my little folks, and the way I decorate is all my personality.

• Like 1

The miniature structures themselves, since I love architecture, then miniature framed art, art in various forms has always been a big part of my life, painting, mosaics, sewing to name a few and when everything else is wrong I can always immerse myself in art and design, and center myself again. Also photography which is also an art form in my opinion.

• Like 1

What best reflects my interests. Hmm. That's a hard one because I have so many. I think mine are food and any type of early 1900's items. I'm not sure why I'm attracted to that time period but I am. My favorite item so far is my Chrysnbon stove. I love that stove.

• Like 1

I am a serious, longtime Beatle Fan. And I mean, serious! The addiction has faded a little over the years but I still love them.

It's only in recent months that I've come to realise my main miniatures passions are Art Nouveau and Art Deco. At school I loved Alphonse Mucha's art. I've loved TITANIC (the ship!) since I was six years old, and my late grandmother (herself, six years old when Titanic sank) told me about the tragedy and how profoundly it affected everyone at the time and for years afterwards.

I love films - the Hollywood Era especially. And the beautiful clothes and makeup worn by silent film stars. The fabrics! The colours! Those stylised make-ups! Sigh.

But I also love miniatures in general. The period I just came to realise bores me the most is Georgian (LOL). I love TV costume dramas set in that period,and in the Victorian Era - but fitting-out a house and dolls in Georgian style only leaves me kinda cold. Likewise standard classic Victorian. BUT if the Victorian/~Edwardian becomes Bohemian/Nouveau/Glasgow School/Arts and Crafts - then I am all turned around on the subject!

The same goes for the 1920s and 30s. My love of Art Deco really kicked-in a few years ago. Now I just cannot get enough. But my preference fashion wise is for the 1920s Jazz Age - when young people still alive after WWI were determined to enjoy life to the full, and to do pretty daring things. Sex, drugs, booze - they lived life to the full! Rather recklessly but then recent history had shown them how impermanent human life can be, and how easily destroyed.

I am now trying to source images of jazz age houses. Some are probably classic Edwardian with wild interiors! The Bohemian influence. I can't even ;picture in my mind an authentic 1920 house. Once we get to the late 20s and 30s Deco architecture and influence is easier to pinpoint.

• Like 1

Architecture, design, and making what I create look like it could really work in RL.

(I'm also a castle/deep, dark woods aficionado but haven't built anything like that yet.)

• Like 1

I especially like knick knacks. I have an Eiffel Tower charm that I put in my houses for staging (but I don't give it away with the house) along with a shell my grandmother collected and sometimes a small pine cone. I think that these little accessories help tell a story about the mini inhabitants - just like our rl accessories tell about us.

• Like 4

I have just started making an actual doll house, but I fully expect I will probably make a lot in the future. Some of my favorite things are horses, cats, Halloween, and Christmas. I imagine I will have horses and/or cats in every house. The first two houses I'm doing are going to be witch houses. One "good" country witch and one stereotypical hag witch. I also figure I will have at least one Christmas themed home.

I also think I'll make and decorate a few in styles I like but can't have in my own home. I think I have a dual personality because I equally love Shabby Chic and Gothic inspired things. The witch houses will cover the Gothic side, so I intend to do one in all shabby chic. These are two themes that I could never do in my real home. I also want to do a pioneer log cabin. Not a lodge, but a cabin.

Lastly, I know I want to do a fairy house and garden at some point.

This is a neat topic, I've loved reading everyone's responses.

• Like 3

I have just started making an actual doll house, but I fully expect I will probably make a lot in the future. Some of my favorite things are horses, cats, Halloween, and Christmas. I imagine I will have horses and/or cats in every house. The first two houses I'm doing are going to be witch houses. One "good" country witch and one stereotypical hag witch. I also figure I will have at least one Christmas themed home.

I also think I'll make and decorate a few in styles I like but can't have in my own home. I think I have a dual personality because I equally love Shabby Chic and Gothic inspired things. The witch houses will cover the Gothic side, so I intend to do one in all shabby chic. These are two themes that I could never do in my real home. I also want to do a pioneer log cabin. Not a lodge, but a cabin.

Lastly, I know I want to do a fairy house and garden at some point.

This is a neat topic, I've loved reading everyone's responses.

Wow! This sounds just like me. Laura, you will find that miniaturists OFTEN have a lot in common :) It will be fun to see your builds come to life.

• Like 1

The first two houses I'm doing are going to be witch houses. One "good" country witch and one stereotypical hag witch.

I love the idea of a good witch vs. bad witch theme. I also like your "dual personalities" of Gothic and Shabby Chic. For a lot of us, a miniature project can create something we cannot have or do in real life; yet it is funny just how much even these "out of range" projects still reflect our inner selves.

• Like 1