The Orchid Roof

Roxxie2

Well I got to the very last part of the build, putting on the back roof ( the cut away one) and low and behold it doesn't even come close to fitting properly next to the front roof. I have sanded, cut tabs, repositioned it so many times its not funny. Has anyone else experienced this? I am a bit frustrated with it.

The only thing I can think of doing now it shingling it and when I get to the peak making sure that the shingles cover the huge space at the top. Even the roof trim can't fill this in properly. I think the problem is that the gable weighs down the front piece of the roof .

I've built three Orchids and didn't run into this problem. But I think your solution of covering the gap with the shingles is a good one. You don't say how big the gap is, but you might consider using a piece of strip wood to fill in the space to support the shingles. A lot of what we do is smoke and mirrors. What the audience doesn't know only enhances the experience, eh? :D

• Like 1

When I built my first Orchid the roof dry fit perfectly. Then when I went to glue it into place I also had a gap (which I filled from inside with spackle, after hiding the gap outside with shingles, as you plan to do. I have a suspiscion the cause is as you say. When I built my second Orchid I didn't put the gable roof on until after I had the front and back pieces together, and no gap.

I probably should have put the gable on last like you said but I wanted to leave the attic floor open so I could get in there. I do have an uneven gap which makes it a lot harder to deal with but like you said smoke and mirrors! I did a few of the shingles and I don't like how they are all bumpy so I am switching to the wood ones I bought at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago. If I run out I can order more online but I like how these look better and I think they will be better on the peak camouflage I have to do. I don't know if I am going to be using all that roof gingerbread either. I guess I will know when I get that far. :p I do think the house is coming out cute!

I am going to say a dirty word now HOT GLUE! Has anyone used a hot glue gun to do shingles on their roof? Someone recommended it to me and I wanted some other expert opinions before I even think of trying it!
You would think from all the problems I am having building this Orchid that I never built a dollhouse before. I built a lot of RGT houses but GL is a totally different animal. I thought I should explain myself ...lol

A lot of people use hot glue on their shingles. I think as long as you don't keep the house in a hot place it'll be OK; or you could run a bead of wood glue and spot the hot glue on the shingle to hold it in place whilst the wood glue dries.

• Like 1

I've used hot glue on every shingles house I've made and had no problems other than the pesky threads that can't be escaped. They pull off easily when cool.

I usually run a thin line of hot glue about the length of 3-4 shingles and about a quarter inch below the pencilled positioning line, then slide the shingles onto the glue to flatten it, lining up the flat end of the shingle with the pencil line.

If you want a more rustic look, with some shingles raised a teensy bit for a rough effect, don't push down as hard -- let them ride on top of the glue.

• Like 1

I tried my favorite E-6000 on them and they stuck but took forever to dry. I think I am going to Kathy's hot glue trick. I bought a new hot glue gun and high heat sticks. I don't have the patience to glue a few shingles and wait an hour for them to dry! LOL Thanks Holly and Kathy.... I don't know what I would do without you!!! :bear:

I had a gap, but I also left mine off to work on the inside easier. But the trim hid it. I used sandpaper & cut out shingles. It turned out real nice. When I did wood shingles, I have always used wood glue, never tried hot glue. Good luck hope it all works :)

Something else I started doing that hides gaps along the "seam" between the roof and dormers or gables is to cut a strip of aluminum foil 1/2" wide and fold it in half and glue the fold along the seam before I apply the shingles, to simulate the flashing roofers use. You could try that along the peak.

I used hot glue on some of the McKinley shingles. I can tell which ones I used it on due to the thickness of the glue, so you may want to do all or nothing. Hot glue and I do not get along, so I probably won't use it again.

I use tacky or wood glue, in tiny amounts, and tape the bottom of each row as I get it complete, so I can still work on the next row. When I've done a few rows, I'm usually ready for a break anyway, so I tape it all and leave it for a bit. It doesn't take too terribly long to dry enough.

Good luck! It will turn out great! :)

• Like 1

I used hot glue on my shingles--as above, a thin line below your mark and slide into place. I didn't use the gingerbread roof trims on my Orchid, so used a dowel to fill the gap. I like Holly's foil flashing idea.