French windows

DD840

Hi, I'm starting plans for 1:12 French/Parisian townhouse and am looking for suitable windows. I've seen some Lawbre ones that are nice but they don't open. Do people recommend using doors instead of windows? Any idea where I could find French windows or doors with an arch?

Thanks!

I made the French doors on the Pierce's diningroom from scratch because the originals were gone; and I'm going to be making two more sets for the end wall I cut openings in for adding a conservatory with rooftop garden. You could make your windows.

Denise, it isn't skill, it's a matter of tracing your opening onto a sheet of paper, measuring and tracing 1/4" outside your traced line for the trim and inside your traced line for the frame, drawing a vertical line down the center and measuring 1/4" on either side for that part of the frame, cutting two sets of trims and frames and finishing them as desired, gluing clear acetate to the wrong side of one set of frames, gluing your hinge strips to the wrong side of one set of frames along the edge that will attach to the side of the opening, gluing the other half of the hinge strips to the wrong side of the trim, gluing the other frame pices on and clamping it all until dry (dry fit and sand for fit as you go), glue on the handles and then glue it into place on your window/ door opening. Take it slow in little increments, and it will be done. Then you can glue the trim for the other side of the opening and share the finished picturess with us.

• Like 1

Not exactly sure what you are looking for but these are working casement windows and they have some zippy do dah to their style.

Here is a 1/2 scale version of it.

Of course you could always get the plain kind like these and get shutters and fancy trims to dress them up.

I like that first door :)

It's actually a fairly small townhouse - I was going to have two floors and an attic/roof. There's a fancy door at miniatures.com that I would like for the ground floor. Then a fairly simple door/large window with a railing or balcony above it. The dormer I want for the roof is the Lawbre oeil de bouef. I made a mockup but it's not to scale (now I just have to figure out how to post it). I had fancier versions but my sister keeps telling me to keep it simple.

Maybe something like this?

1565365-grunge-sandstone-wall-with-a-woo

I can't figure out how to upload a picture from my computer, <sigh>. And now I can't link to the door on miniatures.com or pinterest but it's the alexander gate/door. Right now I'm only needing to source one window.

I like that first door :)

It's actually a fairly small townhouse - I was going to have two floors and an attic/roof. There's a fancy door at miniatures.com that I would like for the ground floor. Then a fairly simple door/large window with a railing or balcony above it. The dormer I want for the roof is the Lawbre oeil de bouef. I made a mockup but it's not to scale (now I just have to figure out how to post it). I had fancier versions but my sister keeps telling me to keep it simple.

Maybe something like this?

1565365-grunge-sandstone-wall-with-a-woo

The 1st door w/o the surround could replace the brown door above - I think it would look nice opening out to a balcony. Me thinks its doable...

I like the Oeil de Boeuf window/dormer.

AE478.jpg

Viewed at another angle -

lbrae470.jpg

Denise, when you use the expanded post feature and click on the browse box it'll open "My Pictures" and when you click on the picture you want to upload the code should appear in a box below it. If that code is in jpg or jpeg format you can copy it and paste it into the browse box and load it into your post.

Here's the mockup. (Thanks for the uploading instructions). Sorry, the door looks so faint. I was going to try that window and just replace the top portion with a single divider. My boyfriend is a bit keen on trying to make something too.

post-15371-0-67650000-1391123801_thumb.j

Edited by DD840