Another paperclay alternative: Polyform Model Air?

Jane S

I went to purchase DAS from Michaels..to do some testing and found yet another product..I think newish. Called Polyform Model air.

When I squished the pack of das and this product the model air seemed to be a bit smoother. It is also around 5 bucks for the 2.2 pound with coupon, so I purchased it.

I am still in the process of testing it. But going on the patent for this product it did show it under paper products so "paper clay".

The product upon opening is quite nice, pure white, smooth and when torn you can see very, very fine shreds. It has a very mild newspaper smell.

I am not any brick/stone molding expert but I create a very simple wall structure and made some patterns, dents to test its sculpting ability. I will post results when it has dried and I crash test /paint move..the wall It does hold fine detail pretty nice so far, un-dried.

I thought you folks would like know about it if you did not already.

Has anyone already used this product? Have info or opinions on it?

Jane

221756-3-1.jpg

I haven't used it or noticed it, but thanks and I'll be waiting to hear if you like it.

This reminds me of something I'd like to remind everyone of..when you go to buy a pack of clay, whichever brand...always check the packs very carefully to make sure they haven't been cut open accidentally by store employees with box cutters. I've had that happen to me and it's a pain. Wherever the package has been compromised the clay will be hard, which may not be evident by just holding the pack in your hands and throwing it in the cart. Hobby Lobby is the worst for this in my experience. Inspect the packs! :-)

• Like 1

If you haven't,be sure to call it to the manager's attention when it happens again. If it's not immediately noticeable to you,it must be slipping by the stocker too,unless someone complains...not to defend sloppy work. But the HL I go to is so busy that the employees often look very stressed out. I can't imagine doing their job!

• Like 1

Thank you for the product info...and yes please post your thoughts on it once it dries.

I picked up some inexpensive 'Super Dough' modeling compound at HL and have not been overly excited with the results--it cracks when it dries. It is some sort of wheat gluten product. I got it because it was relatively cheap, easy to use (child friendly) and said it would not stain or leave grease marks on anything--thinking I could make some simple 'objects d art' to help fill a bookcase... I am now using it for flower pot filler--if you put glue in the pot, pop in a glob, and put glue on wire stems, it holds together quite well. I would not recommend using it for sculpting...

Tappy

• Like 1

Well results are in for me.

Now mind you I have not used paper clay...and have never created stones yet. So look at this piece of crap with those eyes :p I am familiar with air dry clay, and I certainly like this one.

Anywhooooo.. I noticed it dried quickly while working with it. but no so fast that it was a problem for me. I think I liked to press detail into it as I let it sit for a minuet or two.

Is it possible no cracking??? ..no cracking...no shrinkage that I could really tell..rock hard, easy to use, no bad smell? This was just done on a very small foam board but you can see stage one press marks /random shapes and stage 2 adding some wash to color..

My opinion, Try it defiantly! For 5 bucks its worth it.

post-15596-0-46410900-1390425931_thumb.j

• Like 1

Well results are in for me.

Now mind you I have not used paper clay...and have never created stones yet. So look at this piece of crap with those eyes :p I am familiar with air dry clay, and I certainly like this one.

Anywhooooo.. I noticed it dried quickly while working with it. but no so fast that it was a problem for me. I think I liked to press detail into it as I let it sit for a minuet or two.

Is it possible no cracking??? ..no cracking...no shrinkage that I could really tell..rock hard, easy to use, no bad smell? This was just done on a very small foam board but you can see stage one press marks /random shapes and stage 2 adding some wash to color..

My opinion, Try it defiantly! For 5 bucks its worth it.

No shrinkage would be awesome! Also dear brave Jane...Have you played with cold porcelain yet? I love that you share in your testings/findings. 8-) Thanks

• Like 1

Thank you for the sample! How does it work for shingles?

Hey Holly!

If you look at the top part I did a little braid, So I rolled a snake and pressed it in, so I think this could be used for all variations of build. It rolls thin easily like any polymer clay, held together when I picked the sheet up.

I am pretty confident this product can be happily used for all construction needs, walls, bricks, stones, beams and shingles

I have decided to use it on my half scale Arthur that I have altered, I will be doing shingles, stone, beams and framing with it for that one so a comprehensive test ;)

Again I have not used the traditional "paper clay TM" but I am quite familiar with other air dry, bone ware and papier-mâché clay. From that range this is my new favorite, and highly suggest a try with it ! :D

JS

No shrinkage would be awesome! Also dear brave Jane...Have you played with cold porcelain yet? I love that you share in your testings/findings. 8-) Thanks

So far this really did not shrink, I marked the radius of circle..and it didn't warp the foamcore..3/4th mind you! I have only messed with homeade cold porcelain, I think I made a bowl....that is as far as I got my friend ;P

hugs!