Miniatures.com 2014 creating contest kit online

For one thing, MDF is made with chemicals that are not nice. If any drilling, sanding or cutting happens, inhaling the sawdust could be really hazardous to your health.

I saw a dozen or more options right away but I really need to get my SF 2013 done before I start something else (esp since I have, oh say around, 400 other UFO's as well.) Maybe if I get a new body and lots of energy I could fit it in. hahaha

I worry about the MDF thing too. I had lots of bashing ideas for the Alexandria but haven't dared to cut into it for fear it would really set off a bad spell with my breathing.

It reminds me of the Primrose (if you change the door to the other side like I did on my lavender bashed one). It has so many possibilities. I too prefer wood to work with though. It's just much easier to bash & weighs less. I still don't do power tools too often. But I can see a gorgeous cottage being made from this!

• Like 1

Well, I personally love MDF and as far as I was aware, they use much less harmless glues than in the earlier days. I am not afraid of my jigsaw, and plenty of practice means I am pretty good at it now (to a degree anyway!).

• Like 1

I did some MDF web investigations :lamo: and as Shannon said , the glues they use are a lot safer than they used to be. And as long as you work with it in a well ventilated area ( as you should working with any wood product ) and don't inhale the dust , :nonono: it is as safe as any of the other woods , stain, glues....... we work with. :yes:

• Like 4

I'll agree that I prefer to work with wood but I have built at least 30 MDF kits, and have no real issues with it as a material. I have cut it, drilled it and routed it and it held up to anything I have ever wanted to do. I would prefer MDF to poor quality plywood. It is very dusty though so I'll second the good ventilation and if you are going to do a significant amount of cutting take it outside or you'll be cleaning up the dust forever.

I've worked with both too... I can say one thing for sure... my 1/2 Nottingham is plywood and MDF and the thing weighs a freakin TON.... seriously... it's a two person move if it needs to go to a new location....

...... oh wait .... it could be the 6+ packages of paperclay and particle board base as well... LOL.... it is really A LOT heavier than my other houses tho....

• Like 2

LOL , Kelly , that might have something to do with it. :D

I had forgotten I had a 25 % off code for HBS , I went ahead and ordered the kit. And some copper and some ......

There's still a lot of winter left , had to stock up on supplies . :bear:

• Like 3

Amy - HBS is Hobby Builders Supply at miniatures.com. A lot of us buy our supplies there, since they have a HUGE inventory of everything miniature. The put on a contest every year, using their kit, and you have almost a year to complete it. It's out now, and won't be due until December. There's a link at the top of this thread that will take you directly to the house in question on their website. Have fun :)