Another Paper Clay Shingle Question

ConJe01

Hey All,

It's been a while since I've worked on my Orchid and right now, I'm frustrated and don't want to even get back to it. When I first started wanting to get into building my dollhouse, Minis On the Edge, Tracy Topps' Blog, is the first place I found when looking for information. Of course since then, I've been to hundreds of websites. :blahblah1:

Cutting to the chase, I remember reading on an Orchid blog of hers info on paper clay shingles. I thought it was a bash she did on an Orchid, and it stated to find instructions on how to make the shingles by pulling up another blog for a particular house. However, I can't find where I read it. I've tried to google to find a tutorial or something with instructions. And now I've been searching here to find anything on how to do it.

I've read several posts and when a member mentions they have a tutorial or instructions on how to make the shingles, I can't find where their post, or even gallery, is. I'm not very good at just reading instructions without a lot of detailed step-by-steps, but it doesn't matter since I can't find anything. A couple of members have mentioned Rik Pierce's tutorial, but I couldn't find it on his website, or I just don't know where to look. "New Day" mentions he had a tutorial in Dolls House World magazine and I guess I'll probably subscribe. It seems like it would be good for other info also.

For now, does anyone know where I can find step-by-step instructions or a tutorial? I'm sure it would be too easy if someone knows where Tracy or Rik has their info. If you're not sure what I'm talking about, it is not the barrel shingles. They are mostly flat with some of them having a little "raised hump" in the middle, I guess to help give them a more worn, weathered look. I am almost positive I've even seen a pictured tutorial on how to create them.

Any help you can provide will be very much appreciated.

CJ2

P.S.

Thank you, Holly. I've found similar instructions also. The video how-tos are very well put together. However, the instructions are for the barrel shingles. I may end up using modified instructions for the barrel to try and make the flat shingles like many of the houses I've seen, if I don't have any luck in the near future. It's just I'm not creative enough to figure out exactly what to do. I just love, love, love the shingles Tracy has on her bashed Orchid dollhouse.

I actually love that whole house the way she did it. Of course I don't think I could ever be that brave!

CJ

The other day I figured out how to see more than the few (5) posts on a member's profile. Yes, I really didn't know. I was thinking there should be page numbers and "next" at the bottom... Anyway, I am simply amazed at all of the beautiful creations you guys do! It's really hard to believe some of these houses are not even real! And unfortunate for me, it's too easy to get lost in viewing all of the houses instead of looking for the information I started out trying to find.

I really like a lot of the roof ideas I see, especially the "slate" oxidized shingles. However, for my Orchid, I'm still looking for detailed instructions for "Rik Pierce style" paperclay shingles. From the pics and what I've been told so far, I think I might try and see if I can figure it out.

I think the shingles are individual, right? I see for most shingles, 1/8 in. is the average thickness. Can anyone tell me how the little raised bump/hump in the middle, along the edge is achieved?

Thanks!

CJ

I think Tracy said she used her finger. I would think you could cut your shingles into strips and not cut the individual shingles all the way apart, but leave them attached at the top edge, and stagger the rows.

CJ, Check out post #4 in the second link I posted above. Beverly gives very good instructions. For the raised bump, she simply states to "lift" random shingles, I'm assuming with whatever small tool you have handy that will do the job.

Hope this helps!

I think anything you can poke under the shingle would do the trick, including the tip of a finger. It's just a matter of stretching a bit of clay to form the hump.

Thank you guys. I think I'll try to go by Beverly's instructions. However, I'll have to fight trying to go to sleep. I have a brain disease similar to narcolepsy. That's the main reason I have a lot of problems doing research, which I've always loved to do!

I've read thru the reply Bev had for her answer how to create the tiles out of paperclay. I think I may be able to do it. I was wondering if someone knows where her pics are she mentions in her first sentence? She states she has a step-by-step "picture album in my Greenleaf albums". I've searched and can't find it anywhere. Of course like always, I probably don't know where to look. Thanks!

CJ2

I've found many beautiful pics, but in Bev's post, she states she has a an album that is detailed step-by-step. I've also found a thread in which Tracy Topps replied and included a link to a post (or album) for a tutorial. However, I've tried to get to it by the link, but it doesn't go anywhere.

CJ2

Just in case you had forgotten and for those who are newer, Bev (Starfire) passed away very suddenly in Oct 2012 so there isn't a way to find more info except by looking at her pictures and reading her posts.

Her passing was the first thing I picked up on the other day when I was searching her postings. It's sad to hear, even though it happened before I got here. I thought it was very touching what her daughter wrote to you guys.

CJ2

Hey ladies I see you have been pondering on this one, I want to link a blog for you to have a look at the basic process. Mind you all things like this are trial and error but here is a pretty comprehensive post with lots of photos.

http://onbeingaminimum.blogspot.com/2011/11/paperclay-experiment.html

Just note you can do them as individual tiles.. or you can cut rectangular strips and snip them along ever inch or so. The bump in the middle can be created with a tooth pick just kinda lift the center a bit..not each one but random ones. Curl a few side corners on the shingle.

You can also press a few lines in he bottom to make a cracked shingle.. etc.

Have fun!

Yes, thank you Jane! Would you (or anyone else) happen to know how she ended up with a lot of gaps? I guess it probably had something to do with just doing strips instead of individual tiles. Even though it would be more time-consuming, I can see where it would be beneficial to do individual tiles instead of strips.

CJ2

Okay, hopefully I'm nearing the end of this topic! I think below is the last of my questions...

1. Since paperclay does seem to be one of the most popular choices for roofing, I was wondering if there was another type material you liked liked to work with as much, or instead? I already know it is mainly a preference and/or experience choice, but what do you like to work with?

2. I have a box of modeling clay. Is there anything about it which would not make a good choice?

3. Do any of you use or even prefer to use paper mache for your roofing tile choice? While purchasing a couple of packs of paperclay yesterday, I found a box of Activia FastMache and it states it is "sculpting". I went ahead and bought a box because the pics they used on the box mad me thing it was worth a try.

Thank you, again!

CJ2

(Moderator, if this belongs in another section let me know after you move it. Thanks!)

Okay, hopefully I'm nearing the end of this topic! I think below is the last of my questions...

1. Since paperclay does seem to be one of the most popular choices for roofing, I was wondering if there was another type material you liked liked to work with as much, or instead? I already know it is mainly a preference and/or experience choice, but what do you like to work with?

2. I have a box of modeling clay. Is there anything about it which would not make a good choice?

3. Do any of you use or even prefer to use paper mache for your roofing tile choice? While purchasing a couple of packs of paperclay yesterday, I found a box of Activia FastMache and it states it is "sculpting". I went ahead and bought a box because the pics they used on the box mad me thing it was worth a try.

Thank you, again!

CJ2

(Moderator, if this belongs in another section let me know after you move it. Thanks!)

1. I haven't tried paperclay for a roof. I actually like the Greenleaf wooden shingles, but I have also used corrugated cardboard, sandpaper and construction paper. I have not tried, but am open to making polymer clay tiles, using the foam trays cut into tiles, and pinecone leaflets.

2. If by modeling clay you mean plasticene, it does not ever harden, and I think it turns nasty in hot weather.

3. For what a package of papermache mix costs I'd invest in a dedicated food processor, a large bottle of Elmer's all-purpose glue and go door to door collecting the neighbors' old newspapers, and make my own.

No, Holly. It has modeling clay on the box, but it reminds me of the old gray clay they had years ago. I flattened out a piece into a square and when it dried, it didn't shrink much. However, it was very, very dry looking like if you touched it, it would crumble. It was very strong, though. I think it would work for a building to look old and ugly!

CJ2

Hey Connie,

Just to give you a few of my ideas on your last couple of posts..anyone else can add or correct as needed. ;)

The pictures from mini mum where her first trail run at creating a paper clay roof "Rik Pierce style". She may have changed her technique since then 2011. But the gaps may have been a choice for age / preference. Some paper clays can shrink and crack to that should be taken into consideration when deciding on spacing.

I don't think paper clay is the preference for roofs actually, as Holly said you can use a multitude of items, with imagination of course, From tongue depressors to egg cartons, cardboard, woodsies planks...or purchasing tile or sheets. I see more use of paper clay for fantasy based houses or if you are trying a hard to come by shape/ fashion.

The air dry modeling clay your talking about is like boneware a bit firm but also made from earth based clay. So the product will be much more weighty on the roof than other options, it may not be a preferable material for roofing but maybe for stonework/floor tile/ producing bricks..etc

I have moved into using paper mache mix when producing my own paper clay, cellulose. The product does not come out feeling anything like straight moldable clay it is more of a mush when mixed with water, it can be used but finding the right consistence for tile work or detail is very difficult. If you want to move into producing a more traditional form of paper clay with it you will have to use / glue / joint compound/ ...there are recipies to follow on youtube etc..

Although purchased paper clay can be expensive, I do see its pro's after having hands full of homemade clay mixing up batch by batch :bangin:

I hope the info can give you some direction, if anything..make a couple rows of tiles just for testing and see where you want to go from there :D

Jane