roof question

jaurbanski

As in, you want a red roof? Or whatever color? I plan to do this to one of my houses. I plan to use a primer since the wood will be so porous and just paint. If there's a better way, I will certainly be glad you asked.

Joyce, sounds like you have something fun planned. I'm sure you know we'd love to see pictures :)

I wanted a green roof for my bungalow, but I knew painting all those shingles would be a pain, probably have to do 2 coats to get it into all the cracks, so I stained it. I mixed some water with acrylic craft paint and used a wide, soft bristled artist's brush. i may have used 2 coats, I don't remember, but 2 coats of stain is faster that 2 coats of paint. I could have used a green stain from the paint store, had I felt like going out for some.

Picture of the bungalow roof

Ohthe bungalow is awesome. I started this house like 10 years ago and just did it without any thought of order so i have been doing it bass ackward! I quit and now starting back with a little more common sense but now have to go with what i did. :) the roof is already glued. I just didn't know if paint looks right on shakes. I will post pics soon. I have 8 kids...5 littles so they get most of my time.

• Like 1

Apply the paint in thin, light coats. If you don't like the way the shakes look now, do you think the way they look will "grow" on you? I have seen the RL simulated shakes (fiberglas?) done in all sorts of colors, and they look lovely. If you have some left over, paint a couple of them, stick them on the roof with tape and see how you like it.

• Like 1

I wanted a green roof for my bungalow, but I knew painting all those shingles would be a pain, probably have to do 2 coats to get it into all the cracks, so I stained it. I mixed some water with acrylic craft paint and used a wide, soft bristled artist's brush. i may have used 2 coats, I don't remember, but 2 coats of stain is faster that 2 coats of paint. I could have used a green stain from the paint store, had I felt like going out for some.

Picture of the bungalow roof

Your roof turned out beautiful! I invision the same thing for my Pierce, except with shades of red.

Did you stain the shingles before gluing them onto the roof? Or did you stain after they were on? Did you paint a random number of them a slightly different shade of greed to get the effect shown?

Thanks for any tips you can provide!