Orchid Questions

Roxxie2

:wave: Back at you,Roxy and guess what? My son came home today and he brought me a Christmas present:An Orchid kit!! Yippeeee! He bought it at Hobby Lobby while he was on vacation with his dad's family. His Gran gave him her 40% off coupon. He said he shouldn't mention that part,but hey,nothing wrong with being a smart mini shopper!hahaha So,this is my second Orchid kit-I better get busy,huh?!

• Like 1

My son came home today and he brought me a Christmas present:An Orchid kit!!

:banana: Kat!!! Good Deal!!!!

I posted my ceiling disaster in the thread titled What are you working on today. Back to the drawing board on the ceiling.The cardboard FILL IN piece cracked around the edge after the spackle and paint dried :( FOOEY!!!

Some progress however, I think I figured out the dang windows how they go! One question: There are WINDOW SILL pieces and a couple of WINDOW CASING BOTTOM pieces. There aren't enough of those for all the windows so I wonder if they goofed or I lost some pieces ( I don't think I did I kept them all in a baggie). Anyway, I am sure I can make more pieces if I have to but dang there always has to be some issue!!!

Back to Kat's new Orchid!!! I am so excited for you I know you really wanted one! Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!! :clap:

I had better get crackin you will have yours done before I figure out what all the parts are for!

• Like 1

Don't feel bad Roxy , I couldn't get those windows either :sad?: and ended up making my own trim for the inside. Same on the number of pieces , I gave up trying to figure it out , I'll deal with it when I get to trimming the exterior. :unsure:

That is awesome Kat !! Not only a good son , but a smart shopper too ! :clap:

• Like 2

:banana: Kat!!! Good Deal!!!!

Some progress however, I think I figured out the dang windows how they go! One question: There are WINDOW SILL pieces and a couple of WINDOW CASING BOTTOM pieces. There aren't enough of those for all the windows so I wonder if they goofed or I lost some pieces ( I don't think I did I kept them all in a baggie). Anyway, I am sure I can make more pieces if I have to but dang there always has to be some issue!!!

The window sills are one per window--so four--mounted on the outside. The casings go inside. Maybe you were thinking there was one sill each for inside and outside?

I left my orchid an open floor plan, so far no sagging. I also didn't use the stairs, I made a ladder. In my Laurel I made faux pull down stairs to the 3rd floor. I also didn't like the windows, I bought new ones.

• Like 2

The window sills are one per window--so four--mounted on the outside. The casings go inside. Maybe you were thinking there was one sill each for inside and outside?

Isn't there a casing for the inside as well as the outside? As for the sills, only on the outside again? I will probably end up making my own out of stir sticks or something if it doesn't make sense. lol

I won't be putting windows on until the end but I thought I had to paint around them to fill in where there is no frame. So confusing and I thought I had it! :bangin:

I sanded and respackled the stair hole. I will let it dry for a couple of days since I will be busy tomorrow. I didn't tape I don't want the lump from the tape under the spackle.

• Like 1

Ok I went back and counted. There are 4 casings for the outside and 4 for the inside. There are only 4 window sills ( OF COURSE!!!) Why would there be sills on the outside! DUH! There are only 3 of a smaller piece that are labeled casing bottom so that doesn't make sense but I can make another one when I figure that one out! lol :glare:

Roxy, you don't tape the patch on the side you're spackling, you tape the patch on the other side of the piece you're patching, just to support the weight of the damp cardboard until it dries totally, and you remove the tape before you do whatever you're going to do to cover the patch on that other side.

• Like 1

Duh! I get it! I crack myself up! I was in panic mode when I was trying to find some of the pieces that I KNOW I put into the baggies. Well there were still some parts in the box! :doh: Of course I shoved the box under the bed to get it out of the way! Sheesh! Am I driving everyone straight up the wall yet?
Plan for today: Dry fit everything so I can SEE what I have!!! :freaked:

Ok I went back and counted. There are 4 casings for the outside and 4 for the inside. There are only 4 window sills ( OF COURSE!!!) Why would there be sills on the outside! DUH! There are only 3 of a smaller piece that are labeled casing bottom so that doesn't make sense but I can make another one when I figure that one out! lol :glare:

Sills DO go on the exterior.

About the windows: this photo shows the inside construction. Do you see how the bottom of the window fits inside the window trim? The upper part of the window is painted on the wall. It is not a separate piece.

gallery_818_328_41944.jpg

The 2nd photo shows the outside of the window. There is a horizontal sill and a vertical bit beneath it. In this view, the square window section is glued at the top of the outside trim and the bottom section is painted on the wall.

gallery_818_328_44307.jpg

Hope this helps you to visualize the construction.

• Like 1

Yes Holly I did find the missing piece and Gloria I figured it out from the picture on the box that the exterior does have sills.....strange! I probably won't put them on like that. I lived in a Victorian house and as far as I can remember there were no sills outside. I can see interior sills but not exterior.

LOL Nan, I had no idea windows could be so confusing! I will probably end up doing it my way somehow since I always go off the track when building anything! Of course I don't recommend it but I usually ditch the instructions and look the picture on the box! It gets me into trouble more than not!

• Like 1

Kathie....I actually chose the same colors for my Orchid except the peach color . I was thinking of going off the track and painting a light lavender where you have peach. In will have to try the colors out on scrap wood.

I hope that you don't mind I am using almost the same colors. I love blue and the house will be called Blue Orchid. I didn't see yours until after I chose the paint.

Still trying to get the stupid windows traced on the correct way. What if I just used that U shaped casing and to trace around and paint the whole area inside white. ( the color of my trim). Then when I glue on the window and the casing it should work......right? I am laughing at my complete inability to grasp such a simple thing.

I just dry fitted the main part of the house......at least that worked! :rofl: