Orchid Questions

Roxxie2

Does anyone know if the Orchid kit comes with hinges and a door knobs for the front door? I have always built RGT houses that come with the hardware.

I didn't realize it had none so I didn't buy any hardware when I was in Hobby Lobby and it will be another 6 months before I get to go back to Santa Fe.

Structural Question:

I was wondering if I left out the room divider on the first floor in order to make it an open floor plan if it would compromise the support for the second floor?
Has anyone done this with their Orchid? I thought I might be able to buy a dowl and cut it for a support instead of using the wall.

As I posted in the other topic where this issue about hardware was raised, I make knob sets from bits of aluminum foil and betallic beads. For hinges I use the chamois leather detail cloths sold at auto supply stores (I got mine at Pep Boys); I cut them into strips 1/2" wide and 1" long. I use three strips for each door, one strip 1/8" from the top edge and one the same distance up from the bottom edge and the third one centered between them, and glue half the length between the two pieces of the door along the side I want hinged. I sandwich the remaining 1/4" of each strip between the doorframe and the wall.

• Like 1

Decisions Decisions.......I think I have decided to leave out the stairs. I don't like how they look and they take up what little space there is in the Orchid's tiny rooms. Now to stuff up the hole where the stair opening is. I cut a piece of cardboard and will have to spackel where the ceiling will be noticeable downstairs. I left the stairs out in my Farm House and no one commented so I guess I can get away with the "hidden Stair Illusion" Opinions???

• Like 1

I have no problem with leaving out the stairs in the Orchid.

Do you by any change have the piece of flooring that you punched out to make the stairway opening? Gluing it back in place would be easier than trying to do it with cardboard and Spackle.

I have to have stairs if there is a second floor , guess I'm weird that way. That's the issue I'm having with the Fairfield , there is a third floor but no stairs , trying to figure out what kind / where I can put some.

Just curious-For those who have done more than one Orchid,-does The Orchid's 2nd floor always sag (A design flaw?),or just some Orchid kits. Seems like I see this come up an awful lot in the older posts when I've searched for things about The Orchid. Just wanna know,so I'll be ready when I get to my Orchid kit...

I have to have stairs if there is a second floor , guess I'm weird that way. That's the issue I'm having with the Fairfield , there is a third floor but no stairs , trying to figure out what kind / where I can put some.

I used the stringer for the wall side of the stairs to make two stringers for stairs to the third floor, and cut a stair hole in the third floor where they came out. I used craft sticks for treads and risers and turned toothpicks and a strip of 1/8" stripwood for balusters and banister.

Just curious-For those who have done more than one Orchid,-does The Orchid's 2nd floor always sag (A design flaw?),or just some Orchid kits. Seems like I see this come up an awful lot in the older posts when I've searched for things about The Orchid. Just wanna know,so I'll be ready when I get to my Orchid kit...

I have built the Orchid in wood and in plastic, and I have not noticed that the floor sagged.

• Like 1

The sagging is only an issue if you leave out the ground floor center wall (which supports it) so as to make the ground floor one large room instead of two smaller ones.

Well,Roxy,I guess there's your answer. I kinda hate that cuz I might like an open first floor plan,too. I hope to get another Orchid after I finally do start the one I have,so maybe I'll wait to experiment with it. I like the post idea,but I think I saw someone who put theirs in a different way from Deb's that I liked-I think was it one of yours,Kathie? And Cinderella Moments has one that has a partial second floor/first floor ceiling. I'll go look for it.

Edit:Well,I didn't find the one I thought CM made,but these three aren't sagging and have open first floor plans. I saw a couple more Orchids that didn't use posts or any support I could see,so I guess it IS possible. Maybe just lucky,but these three,from the same builder,look pretty level to me:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smehreen/3292304709/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smehreen/3293110768/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/smehreen/3253621497/in/photostream/

Here's the one KathieB did with posts;I like this placement more than Deb's,myself:

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=4809

Edited to add 2 more photos of other houses with an open floor plan and no supports. This person evidently found a way! And her Orchids are beautiful!~Kat

Edited by kat57
  • Like 2

Decisions Decisions.......I think I have decided to leave out the stairs. I don't like how they look and they take up what little space there is in the Orchid's tiny rooms. Now to stuff up the hole where the stair opening is. I cut a piece of cardboard and will have to spackel where the ceiling will be noticeable downstairs. I left the stairs out in my Farm House and no one commented so I guess I can get away with the "hidden Stair Illusion" Opinions???

I'm thinking of leaving the stairs of mine out too. I can possibly use them in another house at another time.

Roxy, you could always do pull down stairs, or fake pull down stairs (See Brae's Haunted Heritage attic.)

• Like 1

Wow! You gals are great! Lots of ideas! Kat, I like the first and third link.....open on the bottom, partition on the top. I still don't like the stairs. I thought I could put a false door somewhere that would be the stairs behind there. The house I grew up in had stairs and there was a door in the dining room that was kept closed. Just an idea. I am a bit worried about the "sag" issue but I could try it and always slide a partition in afterwards I suppose.

• Like 1

Kathie, I thought of that first.......the piece were the stair opening is contained other pieces so its useless. I glued a piece of cardboard that is the same thickness into the hole and spackled over the ceiling side. I might have to paint the ceiling and make it a texture but I think it will work ok. I can always put a carpet or piece of furniture over the other side where the floor is patched.

• Like 1