California here.....

~morningstar~

I don't normally post, nor introduce myself when I'm new on a forum.... I tend to lurk for months, and then eventually just appear out of the shadows.. :) That said, I'm checking in, from Northern California. I'm currently working on the Garfield 1:12 scale. I have been working on it, off and on for the last 18 months, more off than on, due to health reasons. The foundation is complete (except for the exterior trim) and the flooring is down. This week I got very motivated and completed the stairway. Next step is walls and windows/doors. We'll see how I feel over the next few weeks. I'd like to finish before the middle of next month. I know that sounds ambitious, considering how big this house is. I built one dollhouse about 25yrs ago, The Allison from Artply. I didn't have the proper tools nor supplies to put do her justice, but she didn't turn out to.. garish. Unfortunately, she met a very improper demise. It isn't likely I'd still have her today anyway, even if she hadn't met a sudden an untimely destruction.

I'm in my late 40s, married to the most perfect guy on the planet (most of the time). I have a fur baby who is 5yrs old and seems a lot older. Her name is Kyrie. She's a "Chug" (Chihuahua Pug mix) I have 4 children (3girls and 1boy) all of whom are grown. Although the boy recently moved back home to 'help look after me'. I'm of Mohawk, German, Irish and Scottish descent. I am an eclectic person, in that I love most any kind of movie or music, or book, or piece of art. I can appreciate the color of most anything or anyone...save two things. I have zero tolerance for cruelty to humans nor animals...neither in the name of art, nor faith. And I'm not afraid to speak out to stop it happening to either. The rest you'll get to know, if you ask.....

~morningstar~

Daddy looked out the window on the morning I was born, while there were still stars in the sky and said "You, my daughter shall be named 'Morningstar'."

Welcome to the little family. I usually wait until I have decorated the walls before adding the windows and hanging the doors. When you have made five posts, please feel free to share pictures of your build with us.

• Like 1

Thank you, havanaholly. I will do that. I do have a blog that chronicles the journey of building it, mostly for my own sake, but I'd be willing to share the link if anyone is interested, though some of the pictures in the blog are out of order, LOL I got lazy the other day when posting the pictures of the completed stairway. I should go back and edit to fix the order of the pictures. Getting started was a very slowwwwwwww process. :)

~morningstar~

Daddy looked out the window on the morning I was born, while there were still stars in the sky and said "You, my daughter shall be named 'Morningstar'."

Welcome to our group. A fun and helpful place you have found. We are glad you could join us. Sorry to hear about your Allison. Good luck on the Garfield. There are many folks on here who will help if they can.

Again, welcome! You have found many like minds and found a wonderful world in miniatures.

• Like 1

Thank you, CraftyMtnMom. I love your name! This website, while confusing to navigate, I've been reading the posts of the various subscribers and trying to get a 'feel' for everyone and I think I'm going to love being here. I love most everything miniature. Thank you for your sentiment about The Allison. It was a tragic story. She was a beautiful house to me. My ex was an abusive person who couldn't stand for a minute to see me happy about anything. He nagged me about her. If I even mentioned moving her from one room to another, he would harrass me about her. One day, he descended on me like the monster he was and continued his verbal tirade until I lost control. I've no one to blame but myself. When it was over, she lay in splinters on the floor of the bedroom. I cried for more than an hour, as I cleaned up the shards of her wood and broken frame work. The fibers of her furniture, the window frames, everything, in pieces. Nothing was salvageable. He stomped out of the room, triumph clearly written on his face. Later that day I asked him if he was happy, as he'd won that war. He said he was. He didn't have to look at that "monstrosity" any longer. That night I decided he no longer needed to look at me, either. I started making plans to leave. About a year later, is when I finally screwed up the courage to leave for good. When I did, I didn't look back. Now, I'm in a healthier place. A better place. A happier place. I can love, without fear. I can feel and I know it's right. I don't doubt my every step. I don't flinch every time my new husband comes near me. I don't cringe when I hear his key in the door. I don't sit in the corner of the bedroom and cry, and pray for death. My new husband has been very supportive in my endeavor to build this new dollhouse. He notices when there's work that's been done. He made a very keen observation this morning about the 'stairway to nowhere'. *giggle*... (Just like the Winchester Mystery House) Like I said, I think I'm going to love being here.

~morningstar~

• Like 1

Hi Morningstar and welcome to the group ! You'll find tons of ideas and inspiration here , and lots of friendly folks. :D The Allison was the first house I ever built , I have two more in my stash of kits waiting to be built . :bangin: I look forward to seeing your Garfield , and am so glad you've joined us !

• Like 1

Being a survivor of a violence and hatred-filled marriage myself,I am so glad you were able to rebuild a much better life with a good,supportive man! I know exactly what kind of Hell you went through before. Unfortunately,19 years later I have yet to meet my soulmate-but stories like yours keep me hoping!lol I'm originally from the South,but I grew up in Sacramento and very often miss California's beauty. I look forward to your photos and input. I'm sure you see already that you are among friends here,so welcome to the fun! ^_^ Kat

• Like 1

Thank you, Stacey6163. This seems like a very wonderful group of people! I uploaded several pictures of what work I have done so far. (which isn't much, but I'm still working on her... ) "Le Couer De La Maison" will be completed if it kills me. :D I made my son help me carry her foundation through the front door of the apartment, to check to see if we'd be able to take her out of the apartment once she's been built. Yes, we will. My only concern now is finding a board that is as wide as she is, and strong enough to hold her so that she isn't injured in transit when we are ready to move. (we won't be moving yet for a couple of years, but I am thinking it's something I should be planning for.) I think there is a board in the hall closet that can be cut down to fit her. I would have to find someone with a saw that is willing to help me cut it down to my specifications, I think. This would ease my mind quite a bit. :)

~morningstar~

Being a survivor of a violence and hatred-filled marriage myself,I am so glad you were able to rebuild a much better life with a good,supportive man! I know exactly what kind of Hell you went through before. Unfortunately,19 years later I have yet to meet my soulmate-but stories like yours keep me hoping!lol I'm originally from the South,but I grew up in Sacramento and very often miss California's beauty. I look forward to your photos and input. I'm sure you see already that you are among friends here,so welcome to the fun! ^_^ Kat

Bless you, Kat. You are a very sweet One. I wish you still lived in Sacto.. I would ask you to come and have tea with me. I do feel like I've already begun to build bridges to friendships that will last a lifetime. Lots of warm fuzzies! :D I found my soulmate in Sacramento, some 3,000 miles away from the one who almost destroyed me. {{{{{gentlest huggggles}}}}}

~morningstar~

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum! Congratulations on moving on with your life too.

I'm from Northern California as well; there are several of us here. Of course, California is a big state and we are an hour or two away from each other, but we're neighbors :Xmas:

Looking forward to seeing your work!

• Like 2

Dalesq,

Hello there, neighbor! Happy to meet you. It is always nice to meet people that are in my own state, because my husband and I like to travel, and it gives us an excuse to 'visit', without going too far. LOL. Right now, we have to wait until after the holidays to put the car in the shop (she's getting older (10yrs old) so she needs to have some work done) but when she's road ready again, we'll plan to visit the Bay Area and maybe head north a bit. :D Or south, depending on which direction calls to us. My Beloved likes to just get in the car and go! If it's only for a few hours, I can handle it. :D

~morningstar~

Welcome, Morningstar ***

What a great introduction. We have a lot in common. I am of Cherokee descent, among others. I once called Northern California home and miss it greatly. But Oregon is pretty similar to where I lived. I go back as often as possible.

You are very right about planning ahead for a large dollhouse. I've had furniture that requires the removal of a window to get inside but never a dollhouse. That would be awful to have one stuck.

I too have had an abusive husband and love all people and critters. We have furbabies, Pom's. I think you'll find a lot of like minded people here and feel quite at home. I have yet to feel unwelcome, in 3+ years and I am quite sensitive. Stick around. You won't regret it!

Have fun!

Morgan

• Like 2

Welcome, Morningstar ***

What a great introduction. We have a lot in common. I am of Cherokee descent, among others. I once called Northern California home and miss it greatly. But Oregon is pretty similar to where I lived. I go back as often as possible.

You are very right about planning ahead for a large dollhouse. I've had furniture that requires the removal of a window to get inside but never a dollhouse. That would be awful to have one stuck.

I too have had an abusive husband and love all people and critters. We have furbabies, Pom's. I think you'll find a lot of like minded people here and feel quite at home. I have yet to feel unwelcome, in 3+ years and I am quite sensitive. Stick around. You won't regret it!

Have fun!

Morgan

Morgan,

You sound like a really wonderful soul. Where in NorCal do you visit?

I kept thinking it was going to be difficult to get through the front door, and I didn't want there to be a problem in moving it, when we're ready to make the move. My "OCD" kicked in. I've never officially been diagnosed, it's just what we called it when I get a bug in my bonnet about something that I can't do anything about until it's time to handle it. So, to circumvent any possible snafus we take all necessary precautions. Our Furbaby is technically a 'companion animal' as our building has a strict 'NO Pet Policy'. I had to get a prescription to be able to have her. I had a bearded dragon before I moved here, and had rehome him, (per her instructions: IF we wanted to rent the apartment) due to the policy. Within 18months of moving to this apartment I became depressed and severely anxious. I refused to leave the apartment, even to go down to the mailboxes and get the mail. I wouldn't cross the street to get groceries. I wouldn't visit with our neighbors nor would I leave to go to the local college.. My therapist recommended a companion animal and we started the paper work. Left the manager with little choice in the matter. She put up a heck of a fight about it in the beginning until I made mention of the PAWs attorneys. That shifted things significantly. Kyrie's been with us for about 3 yrs now. Wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. It helps that Kyrie is a quiet pup. She doesn't bark unless someone she doesn't know comes into the apartment, and that is her way of letting me know 'Mom!!! someone's here!!!!'. :)

I am sorry you had to go through the experience of abuse. It's not something I'd wish on anyone, even the ones who exact it on others. I don't think they even know what they do to those they put through the experience, you know? I mean sometimes we might think they do, but I can't help but think they don't. If they truly did, I have to believe they wouldn't do it. Maybe it's naive of me to think that way, but I try to think there is some good in everyone, somewhere. If I don't, then my faith in humanity is gone...

~morningstar~

As a retired public health nurse, oncce more let me congratulate all of y'all who had the intestinal fortitude to leave abusive relationships. :hug: for one & all.

Thank you havanaholly!!! <3 :flowers:

~morningstar~

I know exactly what you mean,Morningstar,about the abuser,thinking they really don't understand their actions either. You hope they can see what they did was wrong and never do it to anyone else. Seeing as I had two sons by mine,I had to deal with that,hoping he wouldn't turn it on the boys,since he didn't have me to bully anymore. Six months after the divorce he dropped out of their lives for 2 solid years-he still supported them but wouldn't have any visitations or holidays with them. It was tough! But,when he finally was able to get his crap together enough to be a good father to them,everything went much better than I expected. He was and is still a giant dirtwad,in many ways,but he adores our sons,now in their early 20s. I had a very serious car accident,10 years ago this Christmas Eve,in fact (!), and the boys lived with him for almost 4 months while I recuperated. I'll never fully understand why he treated me the way he did during our time together. But,my boys can always count on him and that is all I can ask for now.

Kat, you are right. My heart goes out to you, sweetness. You sound like you've been to Cocytus and back. (if you've read Dante's Inferno, you'll get the reference). I have two daughters with my ex. When we split, he got custody because I had no means with which to hire someone to ask for money to support them and was to inexperienced to know to ask for child support or alimony. And I wasn't there, because I was at the MEP station in Raleigh, NC, for a physical examination, trying to get in the ARMY, which I failed. While my ex had custody, he never once laid a hand on either of the two girls to harm them until he married his second wife. Then the abuse started on our oldest. It wasn't long after, she came home to live with me, and the other one wound up in foster care and got adopted. It was a better situation all the way around, in the end. Perhaps his not being in their lives for 2 yrs was a blessing in disguise?... You're in my thoughts, dear.

~morningstar~

• Like 1

When I lived in Virginia, I was active in several facets of domestic violence programs on both local and state level from hot lines to counseling to the distribution of state funds. I understand the amount of courage it takes to walk away from an abusive situation. Kudos to all who have faced this challenge.

On a mini note, Morningstar, have you thought about decorating the inside of your Garfield as you build? Some parts are very difficult to reach once it is put together, even if you leave out the windows and doors for access.

• Like 1

...have you thought about decorating the inside of your Garfield as you build? Some parts are very difficult to reach once it is put together, even if you leave out the windows and doors for access.

Like the stairway hall...

• Like 1

When I lived in Virginia, I was active in several facets of domestic violence programs on both local and state level from hot lines to counseling to the distribution of state funds. I understand the amount of courage it takes to walk away from an abusive situation. Kudos to all who have faced this challenge.

On a mini note, Morningstar, have you thought about decorating the inside of your Garfield as you build? Some parts are very difficult to reach once it is put together, even if you leave out the windows and doors for access.

KathieB,

Thank you. The courage came, when he held me by the throat against the closet door throwing punches at my head, downstairs and our oldest daughter was standing on the landing screaming "Daddy please stop!!!" She was 4. I knew it was time. I knew I couldn't let either of our girls grow up with any more of that kind of violence in their lives. He'd *never* laid a hand on either of them, and I didn't believe in my heart that he ever would have...

I have considered how difficult it will be to decorate and that's one of the things that has taken so long in building this. :) We (my son and I) have been discussing options on how to put in the wiring, so that I can lighting as well, and once that's in, we'll put in wallpaper, then pictures and baseboards, but my walls aren't even up yet. If you look in my photo album "Le Coeur De La Maison" you'll see, only the foundation and stairs are up. :) Still working on it. Just gathering the parts for the walls now. My son is only advising on how I might do something, I'm doing the work. I don't want any real 'help' in doing the work part, just suggestions on how I might do it... when it's done, I want to be able to stand back and say.. "I did this!". :D

~morningstar~

• Like 1