painting furniture

buckeyepie

I went to Joann's this afternoon looking for fabric medium and I didn't see any, however the fabric paint (Tulip brand) was on sale so I bought a couple of small bottles for my Lee's Line sofa. I'll give it a try this week and let you guys know how it goes.

My reason for wanting to paint rather than reupholster is that it seems easier, and the sofa has such a nice shape, I don't think I could make it look as good if I reupholstered as the original upholstery looks. (Especially in half scale!) Of course if the painting is a hideous disaster, nothing's lost and I can still pull off the fabric and try reupholstering, but I'd rather start with this and see what I can accomplish. (I originally got this couch in a 50% off sale thinking the red-checked design would grow on me, but it never did...)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I painted my checkered Lee's Line sofa with Tulip fabric paint. It turned out pretty good. I did three coats altogether, and after the first two I lightly sanded with fine sandpaper which made the fabric feel pretty soft, but it rubbed off more of the color than I wanted so I didn't sand after the third coat.

Don't have a picture of it in a setting yet, but here are the progress pics.

post-7-0-57315400-1388540125_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-14731400-1388540123_thumb.jpg

post-7-0-10750500-1388540121_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I am bumping up this thread...very useful information....I was given a green plaid set and it almost goes in the room its for already BUT...it looks old and dingy

I dont care for greens and I want it more blue....

and I thought since I finally found this thread...but not the one where Deb did a white wash on a similar green flowered set...perhaps other newbies or folks you want to update some out dated furniture....

Im going to try with a white first...to see if any of the plaid still shows up...if it looks ok...I will proceed and if not I will cover it all with a blue that matches the border of the room....wish me luck! so far I do like what Ive seen....also going to use acrylic craft paint...cuz thats what I have....