Christmas trees

grazhina

I just finished decorating the tree in my living room. It's just 4 & 1/2 feet tall, so I surrounded it with my 20 year old silk poinsettias to make the display look bigger. Since the trunk of the tree was pretty long, I had room to set up a couple of my Dickens houses underneath. It turned out just like I thought it would - hooray.

Next I'll have to decorate the squat bushy one I put in the family room.

2013tree-Copy_zpsfb61e2ea.jpg

• Like 4

I think this is the thread to post this in. I will call it our Chevy Chase Christmas Tree Disaster!

Yesterday...........

We got our Christmas tree up and all decorated. I made a nice dinner at home and then we settled down to watch tv. Well, we were just sitting there cozy under the blanket when suddenly the Christmas tree started to tip over! We couldn't believe it and we couldn't untangle ourselves fast enough from the blanket and the dogs so we watched in dumbstruck horror as the whole tree crashed to the floor! Glass and broken ornaments every where, water from the tree.....a complete disaster!!! After we got over being ticked because it happened and we cleaned up the mess, we sat there on the couch laughing so hard. Today we headed to Ace Hardware, bought a new sturdier tree stand and new ornaments......will let you know how this one makes out! :rofl:

• Like 2

Isn't it interesting how those things seem to happen in slow motion? How totally wierd. I remember my parents had a tree that tried to do that one year; we did catch it before it completely fell and smashed all the lights and glass ornaments, but I remember Daddy using many *magic* words trying to get it to stay up; Mother & I had to strip it and let him spend a long time mumbling and fiddling to get the tree balanced in the tree stand.

• Like 1

DH and I were out Xmas shopping, having left our 16 year old daughter home watching her little brother. She called to tell us that the tree fell down, but she picked it back up and only a couple of ornaments got broken and she'd cleaned them up. Ten minutes later she called again - the tree had fallen down 2 more times and a bunch of glass ornaments were broken. She eventually just leaned it up against a chair and kept her little brother out of the room till we got home. The next year we bought an artificial tree, guaranteed not to fall over.

I know about the slow motion thing. One night I was in the kitchen and I heard a rumbling noise. I turned to see a cabinet door open, and the shelves and all my dishes came flying out into the room in what looked like slow motion, and broken dishes, cups and bowls ended up all over the floor.

We said a few of those "magic" words too Holly! What a mess!!!!!! We trucked back into town today, got a new tree stand and new ornaments and lights......spent the afternoon re decorating and laughing a lot about the whole experience. It looks pretty good and I hope it stays standing because there is no third time for this tree!

• Like 1