Santa needs a sleigh...

moonberry

My Arthur Santa's House is coming along nicely - I'm still working on the roof and gables (not glued yet).

I'm painting a second coat on the stairs and risers. I'm thinking of painting/stenciling a white design on the Santa red steps (the risers are holly green).

Now that I've decided to add a base and a bit of scenery, I want to get Santa a sleigh.

I have trawled EVERY.... SINGLE.... SHOPPING .... MALL in Dubai!!!!!

On the upside, I found a solid Malachite bath tub for $1,200 million ... :wt*: Who buys that from a MALL????????

No luck with sleighs! Well, there was ONE ugly wire/Swarovski crystal sleigh for $115 - ridiculous!!!

I've looked on Amazon, but there's nothing suitable for 1:12 scale except the old Hallmark Keepsake Ornament sleigh - but I think it is too small.

I've seen a printable one - but I don't like it THAT much.

I'm even prepared to build one from scratch - but would need a proper pattern - especially to make the bottom section curve up to become the back of the sleigh - and how to cut the side panels so that everything joins up nicely.

Can anyone help, please?

Obviously, I must finish this before the 24th December - wouldn't want to hold up Christmas you know :xmas_groucho:

I've seen that one too, Holly, but the runners just seem so "practical" compared to all the other curly, baroque-scrolled type runners that are out there. I'm a very ornamental gal - the more curly flourishes and decoration, the better!

And Santa does go through the air - so I don't have to accurately copy a ground-running sleigh.

If I can't find a better pattern, that one will have to do.

In Jo's gallery, I saw the sleigh that she made for the Russian Summer Lodge. Now THAT is gorgeous!

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?app=gallery&image=70920

You could begin with the pattern Holly suggested and use foam board to start it with. Then maybe try using some jewelry wire to do the scroll/fancy work and other trims. Maybe even cut the runners out of foam board, too, and embellish them. Jo's sleigh is very, very cute. Maybe you could use that as a sort of guide to get the look you are seeking. I wouldn't try it because I would be disappointed in the end results (I usually get critical of my work like that), but I adore how others have such ingenuity and craftiness. Or Maybe you could see if Jo could share her tips and guide you through PMing or how much she'd charge to make one or start one for you? Just a few suggestions. Hope they help or give you some ideas to work with. Good luck!

• Like 1

Just had another thought - around the holiday season where I'm from, florist shops often create bouquets in little sleighs for a centerpiece. Maybe you could check a florist place for something like that. Are you looking for the equivalent of an automobile size or is your Santa going to be elf size?

Just had another thought - around the holiday season where I'm from, florist shops often create bouquets in little sleighs for a centerpiece. Maybe you could check a florist place for something like that. Are you looking for the equivalent of an automobile size or is your Santa going to be elf size?

Bizarrely, the florists in Dubai don't do Christmassy stuff! There's plenty of OTT Bling and Swarovski-drowned pieces. Out of the many florists I visited, only one had Christmas things, and that's where I saw the wire/crystal sleigh. Way overpriced too.

I'm not sure if a small sleigh would look good against the Arthur, so I'm going to have to place Santa next to the house to get a better idea of scale, before I commit to a final size.

Kris Compas does a sleigh bed tutorial made of card that is absolutely incredible-maybe you could adapt it back to a regular sleigh! Just a thought! :D Good luck finding what you want,Lene!

http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/search?q=sleigh+bed

Kat - you deserve a big cup of cocoa and a biscuit - those runners are EXACTLY what I'm looking for!!!!!!!

Thank you!

Now, to convert it into a sleigh with a driver's seat and a cargo section.... hmmmm..... I'm not going to get any sleep tonight, my brain is in overdrive :artist:

• Like 2

Thanks for the link Roxy - I think I'm going to combine the printable sleigh's ornamental side panels with Kris's tutorial for the French Chaise:

http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.ae/search/label/French%20chaise%20made%20from%20card%20stock

I love the Chaise's rounded back (and it is more aerodynamic heeheehee)

And then bringing in the runners from this sleigh bed:

http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.ae/search?q=sleigh+bed

I found some 1/8th inch soft wire I bought a few years ago - I have red, gold and silver. That might just work to make some gorgeously curved runners.

Whew - thank you everybody - many mini-minds make light work of quirky challenges for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

• Like 4

Lene! What a great idea!! Post a picture please when you are done making it! I hunted all over the place for a small sleigh but couldn't come up with one small enough. I looked at Christmas ornaments even.

• Like 1

Hi Lene

This is the sleigh I used to make the one you see in the Russian Lodge.

http://www.dollshouse.com/dhe/product-details.aspx?code=4424&ref=search

I added a small diameter cardboard tube at the back and a larger diameter cardboard tube, trimmed at the front and covered them with polymer clay sculpted to look like padded leather. The seat is real padded leather and the rest is just paint and bits of jewellery findings.

• Like 5

This is the sleigh I used to make the one you see in the Russian Lodge.

http://www.dollshouse.com/dhe/product-details.aspx?code=4424&ref=search

Thanks for posting your "secrets" Jo. It's hard to believe it's the same sleigh as in your scene. What a creative use of this product.

• Like 2

I looked at the sleigh that Lene had found on eBay and I thought that it was really cool, and then I saw Jo's sleigh. Oh my, that is fantastic! I don't know how I missed that one. Jo's sleigh is just brilliant!

I cannot wait to see what you end up making Lene. I never wanted a sleigh until just now.... Hmm, I might have to make one too!

Jo - thank you for the link and for explaining your methods - I couldn't tell from the photos which section was clay and which one was leather. You really "nailed" the look!

Can I pick your brains with a few questions?

Did you use an icing tip (star shape) to make the indentations in the clay?

Did you bake the clay-covered cardboard separately before gluing it onto the sleigh? Or did you put the whole sleigh in the oven?

I suppose I could use a tampon tube for a really small curved section. I'm just nervous about putting too much weight (from the clay) on an extended piece of cardboard.

It is going to be an interesting challenge to do this in red/green/gold!

I looked at the sleigh that Lene had found on eBay and I thought that it was really cool, and then I saw Jo's sleigh. Oh my, that is fantastic! I don't know how I missed that one. Jo's sleigh is just brilliant!

I cannot wait to see what you end up making Lene. I never wanted a sleigh until just now.... Hmm, I might have to make one too!

So many of you like the idea of a Santa sleigh ..... why don't you all join in and make one too?

Goodness knows, I can do with all the help and suggestions I can get.

And it would be absolutely awesome to see a whole group of sleigh photos in the gallery!!!

I used the plastic insert from a biro to make the indentations. It leaves a little lump like a button if you use a light touch. If you do it hard you end up with just a hole. Then I marked in the creases in the "leather" with the back of a craft knife. I glued the cardboard tubes in place and let them dry first and then covered them in clay and baked the whole lot in the oven. I stuck fabric on the sides and edged it with a co-ordinating trim then I managed to get some nice little brass stampings on EBay which I glued in place. They are not on the photo in the gallery so here is another picture. The coach lamps are actually half scale working lights but I cut the wires off and had them as non-working lights. They are supported by stair spindles (sharpened in a pencil sharpener to make them pointed) and attached to a piece of wood that goes across the front of the sleigh. This has hooks in to give the impression that a frame can be attached for the horses. Bits of chain and bells etc are just for decoration and to add a bit of interest.

Good luck with your sleigh.

post-4015-0-69155700-1386103759_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Such amazing ingenuity is gathering here,just on this one topic!! I love this forum!! Personally,I wish I could take your fun 'challenge',Lene. But it is a thought for next year! Hope some others will do one with you,though! That would be such fun to see! Make it a Christmas contest and I'd gladly volunteer for a judging panel!lol :popcorn:

• Like 1