Too Many Irons in the fire!!

Roxxie2

The day after Thanksgiving and suddenly the count down is on for Christmas!!!! What kinds of projects to you have planned or started that you think you will complete for Christmas???

I have to make a special building for my village that I didn't think of until today.

I have a Christmas tree skirt to complete, the village to set up, decorations to finish........
Gifts to send.

• Like 2

My list is so long it's unreal. I will settle for the flooring and painting being done in our RL house, decorations up by mid month and my daughter bought for and gifts wrapped by then as well. If I happen to get a dh or two decorated for Christmas that will be bonus. I'm making a Buttercup right now that just needs a lit tree in the middle of the living room and aome lights. Maybe that will be done. Before this real life angel came into our lives 2.5 years ago, I made dozens of gifts for everyone. Now, a certain 5 year old gets it all :)

We go every year for a U-cut tree and this will be our third year to the same place with our little girl. She always gets a tiny tree for her room and treats it like a friend.

• Like 2

I have the Brookfield to finish (the window boxes are giving me issues). Then I have a barn to get done and some terrariums for gifts. Other then that, I am pretty much set (I shop/watch for gifts all year long, especially lawn sales). LOL. I say that now, just like any year and find that I forgot something. We don't decorate much, but I will set up my Christmas village that my kids and friends have helped me collect. Never the same any year, but it's lots of fun. We don't cut and set up our tree until a few days before Christmas anymore because we have forced hot air heat and it seems to ruin the tree before the big day gets here. Oh, and I have our traditional ornaments to get done, but there's only a few to make and won't take me long. Just a word of advice to everyone, try to go with the flow. Enjoy the season and don't take on so much that it takes the joy out of it. It took me a long time to learn that and get it! I don't push as hard anymore and I find myself actually enjoying things a little more.

• Like 3

I have the bungalow to get done, but it is being a little fiddly right now so that may not happen. Gifts to shop for, but I do a lot online so it won't be a big deal. A few gifts to be made this year as well. The house has to be decorated, hopefully today. I'm getting dirty looks from all 3 furbabies because there are big storage boxes all over the living/dining room. The week before Christmas is when I bake cookies. Gotta do some research and find a recipe for chocolate pinwheels. My DH's grandmother used to make them every year, and it's part of my gifts for him to find a good recipe. Sadly, her recipe for them was lost with her when she passed unexpectedly a few years ago.

• Like 1

Sarah, I don't know about your DH's grandma's recipe, but the way we made them 'way back in home ec was to take basic sugar cookie dough and add chocolate to half of it and make two fairly fat logrolls, wrap and chill them; then cut each roll in half and in half again, lengthwise, and reaassemble the logs alternating a quarter roll of plain with a quarter roll of chocolate and when they were together, continue to roll the logs gently in one direction to get the points to curve. Then when you slice them to bake, they made pinwheels.

• Like 1

Hi Everyone! Wow! When I posted this thread I was feeling overwhelmed all of a sudden but you all made me feel a lot better actually! I hope everyone gets their projects done in time! I have to make my list and check it twice I guess.

• Like 1

I need to get the two houses I'm donating to Family Services ready to go , sorting through my furniture and am going to furnish them both. Being the first two builds , they are only painted , no trim, wallpaper, or anything fancy - but I'm sure they will make a couple of little girls happy. I don't think I am even going to decorate or put up a tree this year , both boys are grown , no grandbabies yet , and am just in a bah humbug mood . Seems like it would just take too much effort.

• Like 5

Stacey,

Since the donation houses you made are perfect starter houses, what about including a little hand written booklet full of great tips. Like recyclables that make great mini's. How scrapbook paper makes wallpaper, flooring, etc. Greeting cards and postage stamps, or stickers, make great artwork. Popsicle sticks make shelves... That kind of thing. A gift that will in all ways help a childs imagination grow. I commend you for this wonderful way of giving. This world needs more people like you.

Morgan

• Like 4

Well,quadruple that,Stacey! I am so proud of you,my friend! :wub: And,you could print out those suggestions with your new printer! :wicked: heehee

And please don't feel humbugged!! I don't plan to decorate either. No one will see it here and my sons are like me-we couldn't care less about a tree and such right now. Maybe that will change one day,but it's right for us this year.

It is still so fun to ride down the road and see all the marvelous lights up every year. But several were already up in our little area last week-which is extremely early! But,if it makes them happy,I say cool!! Just,do not feel bad for not decorating if it makes you feel worse! Doing the donated dollhouses is so much more "in the spirit" of the Holidays than anything I can think of!!! ^_^

• Like 3

:blush: Thanks so much ! And what a great idea Morgan , I will definitely do that.

Many years ago , the first Christmas after my divorce , my boys were 1 1/2 and 6 months old and money was tight. We were making weekly trips to Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh and just didn't have the money for a lot of gifts. I had put up a tree and had a couple of small gifts for the boys , and figured that would work . Then this wonderful nurse showed up with bags of toys and food and even gifts for me , it was the most awesome surprise and I was beyond grateful . I will never forget that act of kindness and it inspired me to try to make a difference in others lives , so each year I contact our elementary school and ask for the ages and sizes of some children that could use some clothing and gifts , and drop off some goodies. The past few years I took hats , scarves and some afghans to Family Services and asked them to give them out. So this year in addition to the useful items they will get the houses that hopefully will make a couple of little girl's holiday brighter.

And I agree Kat , it is fun to take a night drive and see all the decorations. :) I have a feeling I will end up decorating , John keeps saying he's bringing in the boxes of stuff , so we'll just wait and see . :D

• Like 4

I was working on the Westville and when the Charmingland farmhouse I found on ebay came, it had no instructions. I had to figure it out or I couldn't get it out of my mind so put the Westville away for a bit. I got the shell all together without instructions and painted the exterior and just now put it back in the bedroom and will get back to the Westville. The walls are all sealed and ready to wallpaper and the floors are stained. I haven't decided on wallpaper yet or how to do the stairs in the living room. I want to take my time on this Westville. It's my third and want it to be at least somewhat different. I'll think of something. :bear:

• Like 1

I thought that I was ahead of myself but I found out over the weekend I haven't scratched the surface. I no longer send Christmas cards or gifts to anyone except my sister so that part is done. I never hear from my relatives until two weeks before Christmas and then I have to run and find cards to send to them. Do you send cards??? Is this an outdated practice?

I thought that I was ahead of myself but I found out over the weekend I haven't scratched the surface. I no longer send Christmas cards or gifts to anyone except my sister so that part is done. I never hear from my relatives until two weeks before Christmas and then I have to run and find cards to send to them. Do you send cards??? Is this an outdated practice?

I don't send the mass mailings I used to do. I just send a few cards, which is nice, because I have the time to write something heartfelt to the recipient. :Xmas:

• Like 2

I don't send any cards -- never have. Part of it is because I'm too overwhelmed by who would be on the list and how much postage costs. LOL. The other part of it is that I usually just get photo cards of families and kids now, and since I'm single and childless, I would feel very awkward just sending a photo of myself... or my cats.

"Hi, I'm still alone!! MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!"

Yeah, not so much. :D

Speaking of our projects, I'm still working on that Rosedale. Lots of trim to finish before the big day! :bounce:

• Like 1

I never send cards and really don't care to get them-I never know what to do with them! Don't want to throw them away,don't care to store them. (I actually have told people I'm close to don't waste the paper!) I used to be into all that when I was married and my boys were tiny and we had photos of them to send-plus cheaper postage. The years I am fluid,I tuck a 5 or 10 in an envelope for my large group of nieces and nephews (from 3 to 36) and hand them out at our gathering on Christmas Eve. They love it if I do or if I don't,but the smiles and hugs are bigger if I do!:) Even though I am working this year,I still don't know yet if I'll be getting the bigger hugs this year.LOL

• Like 2

I decided that since I only hear from these people once a year to end the practice of sending Christmas cards. I remember my mother with a huge stack of them every year. I whittled them down to family and a few friends but seriously, I don't hear from them all year through so what's the point??? I have more friends in here than I do out in the world these days so I will send one big one to all of you instead! :)

• Like 2