New guy.... with a confession to make.

MOBrien

Howdy Matt and welcome....

I'm in Northern California too.... this forum is the best... the folks are incredibly talented and so fun and friendly....

and not to mention knowledgeable and willing to help.

I can't wait to see some pics....

and welcome :)

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys.

I was quickly scanning the posts and had to do a double take. I saw the word "talented" and my brain registered "tainted". Heh heh. I thought, "What the heck is THAT word doing here".

Anyway... I'm sorry my reply took some time. I've been at work and unable to respond like I wanted too.

Nice to see there are other "glue sniffers" here on the forum. I guess plastic models are a "gateway" to dollhouse miniatures. It seems only natural.

The Dolls House Emporium is a great site. Once I have time with my daughter, we'll sit down and dig deep into the site. The only problem for me was that, remember, I joined for selfish reasons (wanted to do some networking and marketing) and with me being on the west coast of the US, trying to sell exclusively on that site would have cost a bit for international shipping. I'm glad I found you guys, though, as a result of my "mistake".

I'm off to check out that Craigslist dollhouse on Tuesday. Can't wait. I have to wait for the paycheck fairy to show up, though. I hope to God I can fit that thing into the little beer can of a car I drive.

I'm trying to assemble pics of my daughter's dollhouse to make a post. I have a couple, but no updated ones. And....my phone/camera won't sync to any computer at the moment. This causes me much anger. I'll solve the problem soon enough, though. I'm extremely motivated.

Thanks again, guys

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,Matt,glad you found us.As a fairly new member myself I must admit I made a similar error,I'm English and

live in England but joined this fine site based in America!It's true we are 2 countries separated by a common language but it's not a problem and I look forward to your future posts.Adios,Tom.

• Like 1

We have trouble waiting for paint and glue to dry. We'll all go crazy waiting for pictures of a new dollhouse.

Welcome to the forum Matt. There aren't nearly enough men on this site, let alone enough building dollhouses.

• Like 2

Matt, I drive a PT Cruiser. At one point I was driving it with the cargo shelf and both back seats folded sitting on the floor so I could haul a rehab house home.

Hey Holly, me too. They are not that common over here but I love it and as you say, plety of room for hauling dolls houses around.

Our first family car was a PT Cruiser, but we upgraded to a mini van a few years ago. I liked the look of that car, but it wasn't large enough for 3 infant car seats. Wasn't large enough to haul any of my houses either.

Not any of YOUR houses, no, Jeremy! I think the McKinley is the largest house I've hauled in mine. Jo, I went through the thing with the lights a few years ago, but we found a local mechanic who specializes in PTs, since his wife has one. Mine was bought online, and one of the few with 5-speed manual transmission on the road. I hate the thought of having to replace it, since it's out of production; so far the only current car that has begun to speak is the Mini. At the Paddlers' Rendezvous we saw one rigged with kayak carriers on its roof. So I guess I'll have a beercan car, whatever I end up with.

Matt, I live in Sacramento.... College Greens area. Am in the process of building the Garfield and would welcome any ideas, or suggestions you might have... Am going to spend the next few days preparing the walls to go up, with primer, wiring, wallpaper, etc. LOL. It's going to be interesting to say the least. I hope I don't scare you away with my straight forward approach. I just don't believe in beating around the bush. I'm pretty much a 'what you see is what you get' type of person. :)

Anyway, I'd say welcome to the family but I think you've been here longer than I have, ROFL. :D It is however nice to meet someone so close to home, so HELLO!

~morning

• 1 month later...

Sorry for such a delayed reply, everyone. Life has it's way of interfering with fun. Thanks for the replies.

Morning... I'm out in Roseville now but grew up in the Country Club area. The last house we had was in the Garden of the Gods and I spent 11 years running the boilers over at Sac State. I'm out at UC Davis now so my beer can commuter car is a must.

Sadly, the Craig's List house fell through at the last minute (purely my own doing) and I'm regretting it to this day. I'm tempted to ring the person up again and see if she still has it...THAT would be cool! I'm Jonesin' for a project and rescuing and restoring this house would be my "fix".

Holly is very perceptive... she noticed the spiral staircase in the tower of my daughter's house. Yep, goes all the way to the next floor and is made out of brass and copper and soldered together with silver solder. I decided to start selling them on eBay and have had a bit of luck with that. Two sold so far and one custom one on the back burner. There is a lady building a Dutch Dollhouse (something which I had never seen before...very cool) and when her project is due, she'll send me her measurements and away we'll go.

When I was building the Painted Lady, the tower left a lot to be desired. There was no access to the space above and a ladder would not have been the answer. So... I came up with the stairs. The kits I found out there just didn't meet my needs and we're too large in diameter. The ones I make are 3" around and fit inside a roll of duct tape. Not to scale, I know, but it's not very noticeable and will fit when places have a minimum of space.

It's good to be back! I won't let time get away from me again.

Matt

Matt,I'm another latecomer to greeting you. Welcome to the fun! Wow,my very first job,as a teenager,was at the Roseville Auction/fleamarket. I'm originally from Alabama,but spent most of my childhood in North Highlands and Citrus Heights. Graduated from San Juan High,before we moved back 'home'. So long ago that I would just as well be in a foreign country out there,but I hope the auction is still there!:)Your work is fantastic! I bet your spiral staircase would suit a lot of needs here! Any freestanding photos?