So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

WOOHOOHOO! We got us some SNOW! Lisa got 12 1/2 inches at her house. I think here in the city we got between 4 and 5 inches and most of the area around here got 7 to 8 inches. We have another storm coming in Monday/Tuesday that will bring us maybe another 12" and there is a possibility of another snowfall on Thursday.

On Wednesday I had hoped to get up to my lot to see how much snow had fallen there. I don't think that's going to happen. But I did all my grocery shopping for the month last Wednesday and got the few items I forgot on Friday and was home well before the snow started falling. So I'm good until March. And it may well be March before I can shop again!

Travel tomorrow may be worse than it was today even if it's clear out.. We had sun and slush on the roads and now all that is freezing over. With more snow, that means snow over ice and combine that with people with cabin fever and a desire to play in the snow and who have 4WD SUVs and think they can drive anywhere - well, it gets gnarly.

How is everyone else in the PNW dealing with the snow?

3 minutes ago, rodentraiser said:

So I'm good until March.

Glad to hear it, Kelly. Stay safe and warm. Hope the ice + snow doesn't bring down a lot of branches and cause power outages.

All the talk of snow and storms makes my complaints seem very 'First World' problems!  Where we live we're on tank water - basically we catch rain on our roof and it's directed to large concrete tanks at the bottom of the garden.  This supplies ALL of our water.  With all the new building, new homes, new residents out our way (we've been here 22 years but it's grown ridiculously over the past 2 years), summer is putting huge strain on our water delivery companies.  We're in the middle of our summer and it's been a really dry summer which is fantastic but....the hills are going brown, my garden is looking very dehydrated and our tank levels are falling pretty quickly.  The new households have no idea how to conserve water and some are running out after delivery in only 2 weeks!!!  :eek:  We've got 35% left in our tanks (we have an electronic thingee that tells us) and we ordered last week.  We're not due to get our water till the 22nd.  Unfortunately my daughter has offered to have her friend's 20th birthday here on Saturday - not a huge number of people but enough to put major stress on our water.  Plus our pool keeps evaporating and you need to have enough water in that otherwise you can burn the pump out.  So, feeling a little stressed.  I've left a message with the water carrier today - hoping that the fact that we're long-time and loyal customers will work to our advantage.  Fingers crossed we'll get a delivery this week!!!

22 hours ago, Sable said:

Kelly, I was wondering how you’ve been dealing with the weather. Thanks for the update.

Oh, I love the snow. It's snowing again now and we're supposed to get another couple of inches from this one. Then Monday/Tuesday is supposed to be the Big Kahuna. Models are looking a little shaky right now, but we could get rain, sleet, snow, or the REAL Snowmaggedon. Take your pick.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a cyclone potentially heading our way, we don’t usually get them this far south, only every few years. Best case is it stays just off shore and we get the wind and the waves but no crossing. We live on the coast though so storm surge with the super moon king tides could be brutal. Need to get around to my Mums house and prepare because she is right on the esplanade, we are a few houses back from the water so have a better chance of not flooding.

46 minutes ago, Samusa said:

We have a cyclone potentially heading our way, we don’t usually get them this far south, only every few years. Best case is it stays just off shore and we get the wind and the waves but no crossing. We live on the coast though so storm surge with the super moon king tides could be brutal. Need to get around to my Mums house and prepare because she is right on the esplanade, we are a few houses back from the water so have a better chance of not flooding.

Oh my I have never had to deal with extreme weather. Be safe

3 hours ago, Samusa said:

I’m a hurricane expert so to speak. So if you have questions please feel free to ask. Hopefully it will stay offshore and you’ll get just the much needed rain bands.

Edit: I took a look at it. Funny how your storms south of the equator are clockwise rather than ours which flow counterclockwise. So the good news is the the eyewall will be away from you. However, it looks like your going to get lots of moisture from it’s tail. 

• Like 1

Heavy rains all night with more to come this morning. Waiting for daylight to check out the size of the intermittent pond that forms in the yard. This red clay and rocks soil doesn't absorb much.

So true!  When I was growing up (in southern Minnesota), we probably had three snow days in 12 years.  There were times the buses couldn't get through to the farm kids, and classes were ridiculously small, but school stayed open for us town kids.  :)

1 hour ago, Keifer said:

Too funny.  We midwesterners always get a kick out of the south’s reaction to snow. 

No school lmao!

I know right! I think we only have 6 slow plows for the whole county which is pretty spread out at 8,061 sq mi. Since I took that picture, it has all gone. I don't think they even have gas in them!

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019‎ ‎7‎:‎26‎:‎41‎, Samusa said:

We're getting it too and with the king tides our area also may be hit with flooding.  We're absolutely fine as we're a fair way above sea level despite being five minutes walk from the beach, however our 'sister suburb' around the corner may have issues.  We haven't had a huge amount of rain as yet - although would really like it to help with the water tanks and the gardens!  They are looking decidedly dehydrated.

23 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I just took a look at https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-185.89,-39.31,288 and the South Pacific is just full of whirly winds!  Stay safe, Rebecca!

That's an interesting site to watch thanks Holly!  At present we have no wind, overcast sky and drizzle on and off.  Where we are we tend to miss out on a lot of weather - whereas just across the bay and back on the land further they can have major weather issues!

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019‎ ‎10‎:‎36‎:‎05‎, Sable said:

I’m a hurricane expert so to speak. So if you have questions please feel free to ask. Hopefully it will stay offshore and you’ll get just the much needed rain bands.

Edit: I took a look at it. Funny how your storms south of the equator are clockwise rather than ours which flow counterclockwise. So the good news is the the eyewall will be away from you. However, it looks like your going to get lots of moisture from it’s tail. 

How weird is that!  Obviously always knew that water flowed opposite but had no idea about the storms also flowing differently!!!

we got a dusting of snow today as I was leaving the grocery store...that for us is only the second time in the 3 years we've lived in this home!  We are at the base of the Mountains, but we're still Southern California and more so the desert, lol.....I am sure there isn't a snow plow within 75 miles of our city. hahahaha.

Stay warm and safe peeps!

Carrie and Susie your plow information is pretty funny to me . I leave near the base of MT Diablo in CA. We do not get snow but the mountain does. Though like Susie we have no snow plow so when it does snow all we get to do is look at it as they close down the mountain do to the roads not being plowed.Here's a snow day this year for us it was pretty but no touchy. 

IMG_0260.JPG

1 hour ago, Sable said:

I screwed up thinking Samusa was in NZ and getting the tail, sorry it’s Shareb

Samantha is in Australia and much of their weather makes it down to us so similar!  @SamusaPoor Oz have had some horrendous weather over the past couple of months!

• Like 1

On 21/02/2019, 7:36:05, Sable said:

Well, it’s been downgraded to a cat one and is looking like it’s just going to hover around off shore for a few days. Which frankly is not great news for my Mums beachside holiday condo. The beach erosion from the last cyclone made them have to spend an exorbitant amount putting in giant boulders to stop the building ending up in the ocean. We shall see what damage this one inflicts. Worst bit is, it doesn’t even look like we are going to get much rain from it. Which we really need. 

On 21/02/2019, 9:29:02, havanaholly said:

I just took a look at https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-185.89,-39.31,288 and the South Pacific is just full of whirly winds!  Stay safe, Rebecca!

That is such a cool site Holly, thanks for the link! :D 

10 hours ago, Shareb said:

We're getting it too and with the king tides our area also may be hit with flooding.  We're absolutely fine as we're a fair way above sea level despite being five minutes walk from the beach, however our 'sister suburb' around the corner may have issues.  We haven't had a huge amount of rain as yet - although would really like it to help with the water tanks and the gardens!  They are looking decidedly dehydrated.

Are you in the bay of islands Rebecca? Lovely part of the world. Hope your sister suburb escapes too much wrath. We could really use the rain but ironically it doesn’t look like we are going to get any. Just s bunch of wind and a lot of beach erosion. :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Shareb said:

Samantha is in Australia and much of their weather makes it down to us so similar!  @SamusaPoor Oz have had some horrendous weather over the past couple of months!

Yes, it has been horrendous. Hottest driest summer I can remember. My air conditioners can’t compete with the heat. They hardly even cool at the moment. 

17 hours ago, Mid-life madness said:

Here is my front yard in Las Vegas....1/2inch.....No school LOL, all the kids are thrilled.

snow.thumb.JPG.f3e511127165e4898695229fc

The snow in Las Vegasmade the news over here. I thought of you immediately Carrie. :) Too funny about the snow day. 

We were in Las Vegas in 2008 in November and apparently a week after we left it snowed there!

11 hours ago, Samusa said:

Are you in the bay of islands Rebecca? Lovely part of the world. Hope your sister suburb escapes too much wrath. We could really use the rain but ironically it doesn’t look like we are going to get any. Just s bunch of wind and a lot of beach erosion. :rolleyes:

Yes, it has been horrendous. Hottest driest summer I can remember. My air conditioners can’t compete with the heat. They hardly even cool at the moment. 

Nope - we're in Auckland but in Beachlands/Maraetai, we look out over Waiheke Island.  If you look up Pohutukawa Coast you'll find us!  Beachlands is generally out of any flooding zone but Maraetai waterfront often gets hit with King tides.  We're a pretty close community and there are always a heap of people around to help out.  I think it was last year (maybe the year before) that we had particularly bad flooding which needed a huge amount of clean up work.  Our water tanks have gone from 60-95% over the past day.  Nothing much today and still no wind.  I don't think we'll get much more now.  I just could not handle the heat in Australia - but all the flooding etc that you've had!!

22 hours ago, NellBell said:

Carrie and Susie your plow information is pretty funny to me . I leave near the base of MT Diablo in CA. We do not get snow but the mountain does. Though like Susie we have no snow plow so when it does snow all we get to do is look at it as they close down the mountain do to the roads not being plowed.Here's a snow day this year for us it was pretty but no touchy. 

IMG_0260.JPG

well it does look beautiful! all the dustings are melted and now we are simply jus cold for what we are accustomed to here in So Cal.  When I was in the Navy, we would load Torpedos into submarines in 17 degrees below zero weather.....even had icicles on my eyelashes lol......now Ive reacclimated to So Cal temps....cold for the parts is the low 50s and everyone starts panicking lol.

Here is our cabin in southern Utah......I'm glad I am home! This is from the front door looking out at the porch. My Nephew was going to stay here for a short honeymoon as he is in the military and doesn't have enough time to take leave.My husband came up to clear the snow......he can't  find the valve to turn the water on to the cabin. It looks like they may have to pretend they are Eskimos!IMG_20190301_185916.thumb.jpg.866a8cb13f

• Like 1