So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

They're calling for 12 to 18" of heavy wet snow in my area accompanied by high winds and warning of likely power outages. Our generator is fueled up, my laundry is all done, and I've downloaded 7 books to my Kindle so I can sit and read in my comfy chair in the dark if need be. Not all the rooms are hooked up for the generator. I selected some Gothic style mysteries by Mary Stewart. I recall I read some of her books back in high school. They were only 1.99 each in the Amazon kindle store, so how could I pass that up? I also got another mystery by George Bellairs, a 1940's British writer. I read 5 of them this month and enjoyed them.

We got another four or so inches of snow over night and it is still snow "dancing" around in the winds which Will make the trip to work an interesting ride.... we are ready for spring!

We're on Cape Cod & there's a 3rd nor'easter coming our way on Monday?

I looked around our yard this morning for any damage from the last 2 nor'easter & noticed one of the knobs on our grill was missing, a couple of downspout elbows gone & a plastic warning sign that was attached to house over a vent pipe is now stuck on our fence.  Lots of trees, branches & pine cones everywhere.  We only lost power briefly tho.
And NO snow accumulation - don't know about Monday.
Only had to pull out the snow blower once this year - lets keep it that way!!
:cold:

Our power went out the other night and we were amazed that it came back on last night after supper, earlier than expected. We had over a foot of snow, and it seems to have done the crabapple tree in the front yard some damage. The tree always leaned toward the south, but now it really leans a lot from the weight of the snow. All the branches are leaning south too, even the ones on the north side of the tree. We may have to cut it down or at least prune it back severely.

Since Thursday we got another 10-12 inches of snow dumpad on us... some smektes away yesterday but today it is below freezing and by the look of weather forecast we might get some more snow too... 

We’re finally reaching up in to the low 60s. Still have unmelted snow in the shade areas around the house but it won’t be around much longer at these temps. Soaking up the sun, it’s been a long winter. 

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Woke up to the sound of the heater going full-bore this AM.

The heat vent in my bedroom blows on the bed. I turn off the heat at night so as not to become dessicated during the night, easier than standing on the bed to close the vent. The morning house temps here have been in the low 60s. Outside, much colder. I'm tempted to look further into the Keen Smart Vent system.

1 hour ago, KathieB said:

The heat vent in my bedroom blows on the bed. I turn off the heat at night so as not to become dessicated during the night, easier than standing on the bed to close the vent. The morning house temps here have been in the low 60s. Outside, much colder. I'm tempted to look further into the Keen Smart Vent system.

Maybe you could unscrew it and turn it facing the opposite direction?

1 hour ago, Sable said:

Maybe you could unscrew it and turn it facing the opposite direction?

Would that I could. It's rectangular, in the ceiling, blows 4 directions. In any event, it would still be blowing warm air around the room, drying up my nose to the point that I dream I'm suffocating.

2 hours ago, havanaholly said:

Spring has sprung, the grass has riz, but where the heck the posies is?  All y'all up north are really getting hammered this winter.

Had a lawn guy out yesterday. What I thought was grass coming up turns out to be weeds. He says his magic chemicals will do the job. I believe him. He does the lawn in my sister's yard, and it looks like velvet. The grass is still sleeping, masquerading as raffia. The knockout roses had a lot of buds until a recent frost. I trimmed off the blackened bud stems and leaves and am hoping for a nice recovery. Early spring flowering trees are blooming. The leaves on the pin oak are just beginning to yawn. The landscape guy was out this week as well. We finalized the first steps -- moving plants, cleaning out weed debris, building a patio -- that they will start on next Monday. I've ordered three trees, two Empress (paulownia) and a Russian pomegranate, guaranteed to survive this far north.