So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

I think you've got the right attitude, Kelly! Nothing we can do but be prepared. I've got lots of water and sandwich making stuffs, blankets, candles, card games and have charged every device to 100%. Anything that is not nailed down around the house has been stowed away, and I'll try to get a couple mini things finished up today while I have light. I'm almost halfway done with the crushing amount of work that comes at me every couple months, but I have only taken 1 day off in the last 10 so today is mine!!! I am sending prayers up for all of us, and special ones for the roads we love to explore in Gifford Pinchot Nation Forest. Some are still closed from last spring's torrential rain storms!

Yes, unfortunately we are about to get slammed, Holly. We don't get bad storms as often as other places in the country, especially you southern Atlantic and Gulf Coast folks, so we don't usually complain, but every few years we have devastating events, like the mudslide in Oso, WA in 2014. The good thing is that this storm is early in our rainy season, so the ground might be better able to withstand the deluge. Thanks for posting the links!

I'm worried about the trees. I was telling Lisa that usually when we have these huge storms, we have wind whistling through bare branches. But the trees still have all their leaves on them and that presents a lot more surface area for the wind to blow against.

I'm not worried about the power going off, except that I'll be bored to tears without a computer. I've slept without heat in under 20 degree temps, so I know I'll be all right. It actually got warmer this early morning, which I don't like the feel of. I should go down and find out if we'll lose water along with losing power.

Anyway, the flag across the street is still waving, not pointed in the air, and the sandwich boards are still standing. The street sweeper went by last night, so most of the leaves that have fallen were cleared out. I'm going out in a couple minutes to see how things are (yeah, I'm one of those looky loos) and head off to the store for a few things. Phone is being charged now. I'm also going to dishes when I get home

OOps - now there was a loud bang. Something fell......not any of the sandwich boards though...and the flag is now straight out and sort of pointing up. Think I'm going to take off now before things get any worse.

They are predicting record-breaking storms and winds for this weekend. So far so good. Our big cedar trees are waving their branches but they have withstood many storms, so I'm trusting they will stand through this one. 

Well, someone's plastic garbage container is again on the sidewalk. Guess it blew down from the alley without the benefit of water this time.

We were sure getting some gusts this afternoon, but we've had sun for almost two hours. Now the clouds are looming back in and they look very ominous. Wind seems to have died down a bit. You wouldn't even know we had a storm yesterday. People are just all doing what they're doing. I got $10 of gas and the gas station hasn't even put their price up any. The sandwich boards are still up and the trees still have all their leaves on them.

There are a few breaks in the black clouds rolling in and through the breaks, you can see the tops of other thunderheads reflecting the last of the sun. The sun makes the tops of those clouds look blue. If I didn't know what they were, I'd be thinking we were in for some hail.

CJ, we'll get what comes up the slot between the Olympics and the Cascades. But you are in the slot, so you take care!

• 1 month later...

Mary, we need it here in the SE, too; we've been in severe drought; the last rain we've had was last September.  What we're getting right now is overcast with a hint of drizzle here, a few minutes' sprinkle there.  What looks like glorious fall color is drought-stress.

Oh, come on! Snow is fun! I missed the last snow we had here because I was in Minnesota - OK, wait. That sounded weird. I mean, snow in a place where you rarely get it is so much more fun in a place where you always do. I really doubt we're going to see any snow here let alone a couple inches, but it's fun to imagine.

Just now, rodentraiser said:

Oh, come on! Snow is fun! I missed the last snow we had here because I was in Minnesota - OK, wait. That sounded weird. I mean, snow in a place where you rarely get it is so much more fun in a place where you always do. I really doubt we're going to see any snow here let alone a couple inches, but it's fun to imagine.

It is really fun to see the neighborhood (and Mt. Rainier) in a pretty white blanket! I really have no right to complain either... Safeway delivers my groceries, so the only time I really NEED to leave the house is to go across the street (maybe 50 feet) to get the mail! Since the boys (husband and son) are up in Oak Harbor working, I don't even need to worry about them driving! Their hotel is like a mile from the job site! Even my daughter, who lives in Kent, takes mass transit most days to her office on Lake Union (Seattle). The only concern I have for the snow is the paws of my poor puppies having to do their business out in it! 

Trust me, Holly - rain every day gets old. Not so much the moisture as the closed in feeling cloudy sky. I don't care if it's cold, I just want to see blue skies a lot more often! Our retirement property will most certainly be in a place that has way more of it!

Over here we woke up to a frosten over outside, below frenesins tempo and a glorious light blue sky with a this vill of seethrough clouds along the tree tops.

knitted socks and a cardigan and why not a mig of Warm muller wine later on....

hugs

Well, we got our snow. All 3 inches. It started to fall about 9pm and was mostly gone the next morning. The outer areas got 5 or more  inches, though. Now we're supposed to get snow showers again on Monday and some more next week, including a forecast of "ice pellets". I always thought that was just called hail, silly me. But it could also be the start of an ice storm. Who knows? For as often as the weather changes here, we might be having tornadoes on Tuesday and go sunbathing on Wednesday.

But tomorrow we're supposed to have rain and then after Monday, a couple of days of sunshine. Wonder what that looks like?

13 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Kathie, I hope it's a LOT warmer in NOLA than it is in Seminole, 'AL, where we are facing our second AM of freezing temps.

Not so bad here in the city. The north shore has had some freezing. We brought the tender plants from the front porch inside. That's one good thing about container gardening. The mother-in-law's-tongue (sansevieria) is blooming, so we are enjoying its presence. The plants on the back porch are sheltered under the balcony and out of the wind, so they stayed out.