So how is the weather where you're at ?

Stacey6163

• 2 weeks later...

Hermine took out mot of Tallahassee's power, so our son has been helping clear debris from his neighborhoods street and his neighbors' yards, since he has no TV to watch until power is restored.  His local Publix has its own generator so he goes over there for coffee.  We've been getting updates.  We got some rain, but nothing like the winds

As far as we are from Hermine's path, we still got some gully-washer rains. High-water photos of some parts of the city that don't usually flood were all over the news. We got a bit of street flooding that was easily handled by the storm sewers and [knocking wood] our leaky roof/ineffective gutter pipe problems seem to have been fixed. Hopefully there won't be any more mushrooms growing on the bricks by our back door. 

• 5 weeks later...

We have had rain every single solitary day since mid June.

They keep teasing us over hurricane Matthew. Every four hours we are in the "cone", no we are out, no we are in. We should not get the brunt of the storm just enough of a tease to keep everyone on their toes over the next few days.  

Some of our mini club members have contacted me to ask if our Wednesday evening meeting will be cancelled due to the storm. I've set up an email and phone chain should the community center where we have the meeting is closed. Even if it isn't closed the weather might be too nasty to risk my mostly elderly members driving in inclement weather at night, so I'll play it by ear. Thankfully, the community center will allow us our meeting space on the following Wednesday.

5 hours ago, Sable said:

We have had rain every single solitary day since mid June.

They keep teasing us over hurricane Matthew. Every four hours we are in the "cone", no we are out, no we are in. We should not get the brunt of the storm just enough of a tease to keep everyone on their toes over the next few days.  

My heart goes out to the islands in Matthew's path who are being pummeled with up to 20" of rain. The aerial views of the storm look very much like the shots of Katrina. Scary. Keeping fingers crossed for minimal damage to the Florida Keys and the whole Eastern edge of the US. 

2 minutes ago, Sable said:

I would love some frost right now. Living in a sauna.

I too must admit that I Love this season, the cold crisp Air in the mornings, the clear blue (very light blue sky) the tree tops in full fire, as in golfen yellows, burnt umbra, burgundy and some hints of copper... And that fresh small of coldness when getting out in the mornings....

hugs

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anna said:

I too must admit that I Love this season, the cold crisp Air in the mornings, the clear blue (very light blue sky) the tree tops in full fire, as in golfen yellows, burnt umbra, burgundy and some hints of copper... And that fresh small of coldness when getting out in the mornings....

hugs

Please take a picture of that and post it?

We just got home from our week at the beach at Gulf State Park where we had perfect Fall weather, temps only into the mid- & high 80sF and down into the 60sF & high 50sF overnight.  One local shower just before sunset that only came inland about 1/4 mile.  No beach for us, as the purple flags were flying (dangerous marine life; jellyfish, man-o-war, etc).  We rode the Back Country Trail every AM, along with most of the other campers.

We're on high alert from today through the weekend for a lot of rain and severe wind warnings. I guess on Saturday we'll be getting a remnant of a typhoon and about 5+ inches of rain in the next couple of days. That's OK if it falls steadily. It's when it all falls in an hour that things start getting weird. Last time we had a downburst, the alley behind our building flooded (it's on a hill but what isn't in this town?) and the water came gushing out of the alley to the main street under my window, pushing one of those large plastic garbage bins out into traffic.

The only thing I worry about is the power pole across the street. They have it secured halfway up, but when the wind blows, you can see it sway back and forth.

Kelly do you remember the storm here in December of 2006? We were without power for six days in Burien. Luckily, we had purchased one of those emergency crank/battery powered radios with weather and 4 inch TV for my dad for Christmas. We broke that baby out and at least had some connection to the outside world. It took years for them to reopen some of the roads after the mudslides. That's what I worry about the most. We are now in a newer neighborhood with buried power lines and very small new trees, so that is a relief. The cul de sac at the end of our street floods quickly and the two houses there are essentially built on a very large hill with no backyards. I'd be terrified to live there! Take good care and let me know how it goes!

We are at our Vero Beach cottage and all is well. The waves barely kissed the first dune,  However, I have never seen so many plastic bits on the beach!!! Every inch is littered with bottle caps, degraded plastic shards, broken down plastic milk jugs, oil bottles, toothbrushes and on and on..... Matthew made the ocean throw-up.  I've lived most of my life on the Florida coast and never have I seen such a sight!  France just eliminated all plastic packaging, I wish we could follow suit. Rant over!

Plastic and disposable containers are not allowed on most FL Panhandle rivers; several years ago  Memorial Day fraternity party along Jackson County's gorgeous Spring Creek turned it into  garbage dump, and our kayak & canoe club was out there the following weekend with over a dozen boats doing cleanup; in addition to all our boats we acquired a couple of derelict rafts and a canoe that we also filled.  At the take out about four and a half miles downstream (on the Chipola River) we had a couple of dozen large garbage bags crammed full, plus the rafts that did float and several more that didn't, a couple of lawn chairs and a football helmet.  The coastal counties also hold annual and semi-annual beach clean up days.  After a particularly nasty Spring Break Baldwin County, Alabama, passed an ordinance requiring people to remove every bit of their belongings & trash from off the beaches by sunset; then the trucks go out and "sweep" the beaches.

Jodi, I remember that storm - wasn't that the one that came around Thanksgiving and knocked power out to so many people? Some of them didn't have the power back on till after Christmas.

I'm not in an area that loses power too often. The last time my power went out where I was living was in the ice storm of 2010. That's when I spent 3 hours trying to get home about 7 miles and as soon as I sunk into a hot bath, the transformer blew at the end of the road. I remember saying the hell with it and didn't even open my eyes, staying in the tub till the water got cold. LOL

Lisa has her power go out if you blow out a match up there. She won't have water from her well, either. But she has a wood stove, so she'll have the ability to cook and keep warm. When I was living in my car, I couldn't care less if I had power. Now I don't have any of my camping gear anymore and it will definitely be more of an inconvenience.

The wind has just picked up in the last hour. It's not too bad right now. What I am laughing my head off about is the city workers strung up a banner for some song festival that took place on September 24th. The banner is still up and every time we get a wind with a banner still hanging there, the thing whips around and tangles around the power lines. Why they haven't taken it down is anyone's guess. What's interesting right now (I can see this from my third floor window) is that the flag on the building across the street isn't blowing very hard (still waving back and forth), although the wind has finally switched to the south (you know the wind is blowing hard when the flag sticks its nose in the air and stays straight out like it was ironed). However, the street wind is really ramping up. The trees are really moving. I noticed none of the businesses here have taken in their sandwich boards, so I suppose tonight I'll be sleeping to the accompaniment of cracks as the sandwich boards all hit the pavement. *sigh*

I hate to be the person who doesn't get excited at the newscast of windstorms and heavy rain, but here I'd have to see it to believe it. So while I'm sure there's a huge storm coming, I'm not going to believe it's that serious until it gets to that point. Really nothing I can do about it anyway.

I did find this on a weather page:

storm.jpg.5cd8cdf37b728602cb83feb121952d

This was taken a couple hours ago. That nasty little dark gray curl right off the coast of Washington state is the first storm that's going to hit us. Saturday's storm is somewhere behind it. I remember the El Nino in the early 80s. You could look at a wide distance weather map and see 5 or 6 of those curls all in a row like a train, all ready to hit the northern California coast. So just seeing 2 of these isn't that big of a deal. Now if we get 3 or 4 in a row, I'll start to be mildly concerned. But again, I'm not exactly living in an area where the power will go off or where we're likely to have a lot of wind damage. Personally, I think we get more air moving here every time there's a town council meeting.

I just want all our other PNWers to be safe, though!

I ran across this site:  https://earth.nullschool.net/ whilst playing through the archives at this one:  http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/astropix.html and found the link in the caption for Monday's photo (October 10).  It looks like the NW coast is fixing to get slammed.